Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Anastasiaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi all!
How is it easy to find an Electrical Engineering role in USA,?
Can you, please, advise me some companies willing to sponsor person on this type of visa.

Thank you.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasiaf
How is it easy to find an Electrical Engineering role in USA,?
For someone who's already inside the US... probably quite easy depending on where you want to live. For someone outside the US, it's considerably more difficult.

Can you, please, advise me some companies willing to sponsor person on this type of visa.
There are no lists of companies, and so it's impossible to make specific suggestions.

Here's a thought... Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

carlisheam is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a quick question.
I got my E3 Visa approved in Ottawa last October 2012.

Has anyone had RECENT success in getting a second E3 visa with a different employer in any other US consulates in Canada or London?

Has anyone also tried to change employers in the US via the USCIS? How long is this process?

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

blue_dingo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
When you enter under E-3, the questions you're most likely gonna be asked are "What company do you work for?", "What will your job be?", and "What do your job duties entail?" Since E-3 can be renewed indefinitely, I don't think they care too much about how long you will remain in the U.S. And I haven't got asked questions about academic credentials or proof of foreign residence in the past. I think those are more questions for the visa application stage.

I will recommend carrying a copy of the LCA with you, as well as a job offer letter and small copy of your diploma, in case the question ever arise regarding your academic qualification. I never got asked to show those documents myself in the past.
Thanks for the advice, all I was asked in the end was "Whats the purpose of you're visit?" and "What is the work you will be doing" and bam, that was it.

Now that im here, I am trying to get a Social Security number. When I look on the website for the requirements for a non-immigrant, it states that I need at least two of:
  • Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa) with unexpired foreign passport;
  • I-94 with unexpired foreign passport;
  • I-766 work permit from DHS.

Now when the CBP agent stamped my passport, he kept the I-94 form, in its entirety. I thought it was strange since when I came in on the B1/2, part of the form was stapled to my passport, but not this time. The only document I have, is the Visa in my passport. Is that enough to get the SSN? And if not, what do I do?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue_dingo
Now when the CBP agent stamped my passport, he kept the I-94 form, in its entirety. I thought it was strange since when I came in on the B1/2, part of the form was stapled to my passport, but not this time. The only document I have, is the Visa in my passport. Is that enough to get the SSN? And if not, what do I do?
They are phasing out the paper I-94. You can access all your relevant information online: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Remember to wait 10 business days to apply for your SSN (I wonder if this new system will speed things up?). My guess is the new I-94 format information may take a while to filter down through the various branches of government, so don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor if the person at the counter won't accept anything but the stapled-in-passport version.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by retzie
They are phasing out the paper I-94. You can access all your relevant information online: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Remember to wait 10 business days to apply for your SSN (I wonder if this new system will speed things up?). My guess is the new I-94 format information may take a while to filter down through the various branches of government, so don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor if the person at the counter won't accept anything but the stapled-in-passport version.
I did find that website, and was able to retrieve my number. I think come Monday Ill call the SSN office and confirm as to what my situation is exactly, don't want to have to go all the way there just to hit a brick wall covered in red tape. Any particular reason why the 10 day wait?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

When I look on the website for the requirements for a non-immigrant...
Which web site? Because...

I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa) with unexpired foreign passport...
A non-immigrant is unlikely to have an I-551.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Which web site? Because...

A non-immigrant is unlikely to have an I-551.

Ian
This one.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by retzie

I did find that website and retrieved my number, but Ill probably wait till Monday to call and check what my situation is, rather I know before I drove all the way out there just to hit a brick wall and red tape.

Also, why the 10 day wait?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I did find that website and retrieved my number, but Ill probably wait till Monday to call and check what my situation is, rather I know before I drove all the way out there just to hit a brick wall and red tape.

Also, why the 10 day wait?
Because that's about how long it takes your immigration information to get into the SAVE system database which SSA uses to verify your status in the USA, before they will issue a SSN.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

artieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I got my e3d about a month ago in toronto, but I have receive a job offer of my own and the company wants me to start ASAP, so waiting the 3 months for the work authorisation isn't going to work for me. I have booked an appointment in toronto again to get my own e3,any special forms or procedures or potential issues for me for this transition (compared) to the standard e3 application ?

Thank you,

Artie
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

I did find that website and retrieved my number...
Okay - your comment doesn't make sense when compared with what you wrote less than an hour earlier: "I am trying to get a Social Security number". If you've been able to retrieve your number, why would you need to call to get your number?

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2013, 3:28 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by artieb
Hi,

I got my e3d about a month ago in toronto, but I have receive a job offer of my own and the company wants me to start ASAP, so waiting the 3 months for the work authorisation isn't going to work for me. I have booked an appointment in toronto again to get my own e3,any special forms or procedures or potential issues for me for this transition (compared) to the standard e3 application ?

Thank you,

Artie
You'll need the approved LCA by Dept of Labor from the new company, a letter from the company detailing the company description and your job duties and degree requirement, and documents proving that you meet the Bachelor's or equivalent requirement. Otherwise, a lot of the app process is similar to a E3-D application.

You'll be applying as if you're applying for a new visa, despite the recent E-3D visa you got.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

artieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
You'll need the approved LCA by Dept of Labor from the new company, a letter from the company detailing the company description and your job duties and degree requirement, and documents proving that you meet the Bachelor's or equivalent requirement. Otherwise, a lot of the app process is similar to a E3-D application.

You'll be applying as if you're applying for a new visa, despite the recent E-3D visa you got.
Think you very much, that's pretty much what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

hepsquith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Great thread on which i have been lurking for some time.

I know this question has been asked a million times, but is there any consensus on the possibility of denial for a first-time e-3 in Nassau?

Is the denial just for the interview, or also the visa itself?

Assuming the former, if they grant me the interview can i assume that they won't deny the interview?

Assuming the latter, I have all of the documents, LCA, job offer etc. But what are the risk factors? i.e The company is a new company, i don't have a degree, but i do have experience.

thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.