Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old May 7th 2013, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Cydonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by habeascorpus
Hi I have another question if I may. One of the required documents I need to take to the interview is a visa receipt fee. The instructions say to take an Australia Post receipt to the interview, however I paid on my card from the US. Where do I get the receipt from? Thanks!!
You can just take a printout of the payment confirmation that you would have received as email.
Old May 7th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

habeascorpus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cydonia
You can just take a printout of the payment confirmation that you would have received as email.
Great thanks you're a champ!
Old May 7th 2013, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Cydonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Funnily enough, last time I was at the consulate the guy in front of me forget (or didn't know) to bring the receipt. He was turned away on the spot and had to re-book in a few week's time. He was absolutely fuming (must have been an important trip!).
Old May 7th 2013, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

artieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My wife is going to make an appointment for her e3 in a few days, can I apply for my e3d at the same time ? Can it be done during the same interview I.e a joint interview at the consulate ?

Thanks
Old May 9th 2013, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artieb
Hi,

My wife is going to make an appointment for her e3 in a few days, can I apply for my e3d at the same time ? Can it be done during the same interview I.e a joint interview at the consulate ?

Thanks
Yes
Old May 16th 2013, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

meggie2187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My finance is an Australian citizen currently in the US on an E-3 visa. He is about to change jobs and will need to get his E-3 visa changed over to his new employer. Unfortunately, the new company he will be working for is rather slow in handling the legal matters. Here are my questions:

1. From what we understand, he can stay in the US legally for 10 days after he leaves his job. Is this 10 business days or 10 calendar days?

2. Does anyone know if he can pop out to Canada or Mexico and return on the Visa Waiver while he is waiting for his new employer to finish fumbling with the paperwork?

Thanks for the help!
Old May 16th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meggie2187
Hello,

My finance is an Australian citizen currently in the US on an E-3 visa. He is about to change jobs and will need to get his E-3 visa changed over to his new employer. Unfortunately, the new company he will be working for is rather slow in handling the legal matters. Here are my questions:

1. From what we understand, he can stay in the US legally for 10 days after he leaves his job. Is this 10 business days or 10 calendar days?

2. Does anyone know if he can pop out to Canada or Mexico and return on the Visa Waiver while he is waiting for his new employer to finish fumbling with the paperwork?

Thanks for the help!

1. calendar days.

2. Not advisable. High risk of not actually returning due to being denied entry.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:36 am
Just Joined

ltdrebin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi,

Firstly apologies as I know some of this has been covered in older threads but I was hoping to get a more up-to-date experience/response if possible.

I am 39 year old Australian citizen that is currently in the US working on an L1-A visa with a multinational whom I've worked for ~8 years with (almost entirely in Sydney.) I transfered from Australia without issue or hassle and the visa process was very straight forward. I have a wife and 4 children who are planning on joining me shortly in the US as part of my relocation.

Recently I've been given an opportunity to join another company in a new (and much more senior capacity) C-level role based in the companies San Francisco offices. This company is New Zealand headquartered, with offices in Australia, UK, Canada, and the US. They are publicly listed and have a substantial market cap and employ several hundred employees around the world. They have suggested that switching to an E-3 visa would be the most straightforward and uncomplicated way to do this but that I'd most likely have to go back to Australia for the interview/interim period (depending on when I quit my current role etc etc and assuming that my current company will void my L1 immediately..which I presume is the case.)

Anyway the big question on my side is I see that a bachelors degree is required as a minimum and I don't have one. I have a number of other qualifications including an executive mba from INSEAD (Singapore) which my current company sponsored. Now I also noticed that they may/will take into consideration work experience in lieu of a bachelors degree on a ration of 3 years experience to 1 year of college.

I was mainly wondering 1) what are the chances of work experience being a valid offering for this type of role (I have 8 years at my current company, and over 6+ years running my own company prior to that..in a capacity directly related to the role I'm seeking with this new company in the US.) and 2) if i completed 2 out of the 3 years of my University degree (it was in Australia, so was a 3 year degree) but had to drop out due to family reasons and never 'needed' to return, will there be any acknowledgment or credit for that?

I have heard of companies in the US that do 'work experience' evaluations for University comparisons etc and I know several posters here over the years seemed to have obtained their E-3 visas based on work experience.

Anyway..sorry for waffling on..i'm at the stage where I want to put 'pen to paper' and accept this offer with the new company but am really worried that if I give up my current role (and L1) visa and do not get approved for the E-3..i'll really be in a predicament!!

Appreciate any tips/thoughts/experiences..

Cheers,

Ltdrebin

p.s I'm also a Canadian citizen so I have the option of flying up to Canada to have my interview instead of flying back to Sydney..not sure if thats a better option for any reason besides being closer?
Old May 17th 2013, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ltdrebin
They have suggested that switching to an E-3 visa would be the most straightforward and uncomplicated way to do this...
Insofar as you would not be eligible for an L-1 visa with the new company, they are correct.

... but that I'd most likely have to go back to Australia for the interview/interim period...
Perhaps. Since it's a change of status (COS), you might also be able to get it done in Canada - which would cut down on travel costs/time, but you'd have to remain in Canada (Toronto or Vancouver, most likely) until the new visa is issued.

... (depending on when I quit my current role etc etc and assuming that my current company will void my L1 immediately..which I presume is the case.)
The company doesn't have the authority to void your visa... only US immigration can do that. But, it's a moot point since the moment you no longer work for your current company, your L-1 is void... whether the company notifies anyone or not.

Anyway the big question on my side is I see that a bachelors degree is required as a minimum and I don't have one.
You can use experience in lieu of education - 3 years experience for each year of required education.

I have ... an executive mba from INSEAD (Singapore) which my current company sponsored.
Ah, so you have a Master's degree? You know that's higher up the food chain than a Bachelor's degree, right?

1) what are the chances of work experience being a valid offering for this type of role...
Excellent.

... 2) if i completed 2 out of the 3 years of my University degree (it was in Australia, so was a 3 year degree) but had to drop out due to family reasons and never 'needed' to return, will there be any acknowledgment or credit for that?
Yes. Indeed, that's the whole reason the experience substitution exists... so that you can get partial credit for the education. If you've done 2 years of a Bachelor's degree, you then only need 3 years experience to make up the difference.

I have heard of companies in the US that do 'work experience' evaluations for University comparisons...
True, but don't bother unless you are specifically asked for such an evaluation - and then, use only the evaluation company they specify.

... am really worried that if I give up my current role (and L1) visa and do not get approved for the E-3..i'll really be in a predicament!!
Apply for the E-3 while you're still working for your L-1 sponsor. It's perfectly okay to do that.

I'm also a Canadian citizen so I have the option of flying up to Canada to have my interview instead of flying back to Sydney..not sure if thats a better option for any reason besides being closer?
It's a much better option!

Ian
Old May 17th 2013, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

I have ... an executive mba from INSEAD (Singapore) which my current company sponsored.
Ah, so you have a Master's degree? You know that's higher up the food chain than a Bachelor's degree, right?
Yes, but this isn't a 'real' MBA..it was a company sponsored program which they call an "Executive MBA" at INSEAD. 6-8 weeks of intensive learning essentially. Not sure it counts for much...

Thanks for all the other responses..they certainly seem positive!!
Old May 17th 2013, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Georgiamusic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm just wanting to get some opinions on the license for an e3 interview in Australia.

I have been issued with a license to work here but will not receive this license for a few more weeks in the mail. I work in a profession which requires a license to work at all.

I do however have confirmation on the the license online that says I am eligible to start work immediately.

Do you feel I could use the interim documentation at my consular interview? I am trying to start work as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Old May 17th 2013, 9:56 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Georgiamusic
Hi, I'm just wanting to get some opinions on the license for an e3 interview in Australia.

I have been issued with a license to work here but will not receive this license for a few more weeks in the mail. I work in a profession which requires a license to work at all.

I do however have confirmation on the the license online that says I am eligible to start work immediately.

Do you feel I could use the interim documentation at my consular interview? I am trying to start work as soon as possible.

Thanks!
When you go for a visa interview, they don't necessarily ask for proof of license (I never got asked in my past two E-3's). If they do, it's probably up to the individual consular officer to determine whether a confirmation of license application will be sufficient or not. My feeling is that if your application is sound, the company is reputable, and the job description definitely meets the criteria, then it shouldn't be a big concern.
Old May 18th 2013, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ltdrebin
Yes, but this isn't a 'real' MBA..it was a company sponsored program which they call an "Executive MBA" at INSEAD. 6-8 weeks of intensive learning essentially.
If it was full-time study, you bet it counts! Do you have a piece of paper that says you have an eMBA? The grunt examining your paperwork won't likely know the difference... and even if he does, you education and experience will fill in the gaps. There's nothing to lose here... use it.

Ian
Old May 18th 2013, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If it was full-time study, you bet it counts! Do you have a piece of paper that says you have an eMBA? The grunt examining your paperwork won't likely know the difference... and even if he does, you education and experience will fill in the gaps. There's nothing to lose here... use it.

Ian
I do indeed have a 'framed certificate' etc..OK well I guess I'll take my chances!! Thanks again for all your help and the positivity!!
Old May 21st 2013, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

as_tr2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have insights into the requirement for an E-3D to submit biometrics during the EAD process? I've been told that due to an updated I-94 process, E-3Ds rarely need to submit biometrics for the EAD, making the turnaround time quicker. This would make a quick visit to the US to apply for EAD and then travel outside the US an easy proposition. Hanging around for a biometrics appointment (who knows how long) would be a long and painful process.

Alternatively, if biometrics are routinely sought, does anyone have insights into how long this usually takes?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.