Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Feb 5th 2017, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Max200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi I just wondered if anyone is apprehensive about the E3 visa being changed by the new government? Seen a lot of negative comments about the H1B visa. Would not be happy if the visa was suddenly cancelled.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max200
Hi I just wondered if anyone is apprehensive about the E3 visa being changed by the new government? Seen a lot of negative comments about the H1B visa. Would not be happy if the visa was suddenly cancelled.
Are you after a philosophical discussion about policy... or do you currently have an E-3 visa about which you have a real concern?

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2017, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Max200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Are you after a philosophical discussion about policy... or do you currently have an E-3 visa about which you have a real concern?

Ian
About to apply for one, just waiting on the LCA and official job offer from the employer to be finalised before booking an interview. Just don't want the expense of a flight to USA, buying a car there etc etc only to discover there has been a change in policy once I'm there. Seen a few newspaper articles about changes to the H1-B visa expected in the next 90 days, not that you can believe everything in the papers of course.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max200
About to apply for one, just waiting on the LCA and official job offer from the employer to be finalised before booking an interview.
Ah, no worries then!

Just don't want the expense of a flight to USA, buying a car there etc etc only to discover there has been a change in policy once I'm there.
Any change in policy will likely affect you getting the visa in the first place. Once you're in the US, any policy change will likely impact your visa renewal and not on your (then) existing status. At this point in time, Aussies are not on the extreme vetting list nor are they likely to be.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2017, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

rouge_homme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find a specific answer to the following question, so I apologize in advance if it has been asked before.

I am currently in the USA working on an E-3 and my wife is here also working on an E-3D (with a valid EAD). Our visas are not due to expire until 11/2018 but we are planning on moving back to Australia this year.

Ideally, I would like to finish up with my current employer and return to Australia in April with my wife continuing to work in the USA for an additional 1-2 months before joining me.

I think I already know the answer but since I will have already left the USA, will her visa become invalid and would she be working illegally?

Obviously, if this is the case we will revise our plans to return at the same time.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rouge_homme
I think I already know the answer but since I will have already left the USA, will her visa become invalid and would she be working illegally?
In a nutshell, yes. Her EAD validity is tied to her E-3D status, and her E-3D status is tied to your E-3 status. Once you leave your E-3 sponsor, you go out of status... which means she goes out of status, and, in turn, her EAD becomes invalid. Domino effect, I'm afraid.

Obviously, if this is the case we will revise our plans to return at the same time.
Time to rethink the strategy!

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

rouge_homme is an unknown quantity at this point

In a nutshell, yes. Her EAD validity is tied to her E-3D status, and her E-3D status is tied to your E-3 status. Once you leave your E-3 sponsor, you go out of status... which means she goes out of status, and, in turn, her EAD becomes invalid. Domino effect, I'm afraid.

Time to rethink the strategy!

Ian
Ok, that's what I thought but thanks for the clarification Ian!
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

fass is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Ian

I have valid E3 visa till Feb 2018. I also have applied for i485 with my advanced Parole pending. Can I travel overseas for 2 weeks and enter back in USA with my E3 Visa?

Cheers
FS
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fass
Can I travel overseas for 2 weeks and enter back in USA with my E3 Visa?
Yes!

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

pat_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently attended Melbourne consulate for the visa interview. They issued 221g for missing documentation. I have submitted it on the next day. still waiting for the update from them. If any of you were in a similar situation earlier, how long do you think the usual waiting time for this? Bcos, my passport is retained with them. If it takes long, can I request my passport back?
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pat_oz
If any of you were in a similar situation earlier, how long do you think the usual waiting time for this?
It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks.

If it takes long, can I request my passport back?
Yes.

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fass
I have valid E3 visa till Feb 2018. I also have applied for i485 with my advanced Parole pending. Can I travel overseas for 2 weeks and enter back in USA with my E3 Visa?
Yes!

Ian
From the I-485 instructions, p. 7:

Effect of Departure from the United States While Your Application Is Pending

1. Applying for adjustment of status under section 245 of the INA

If you apply for adjustment of status under section 245 of the INA, traveling anywhere outside the United States (including brief visits to Canada or Mexico) will lead to the denial of your Form I-485 as abandoned unless:

A.
You are an H, L, V or K3/K4 nonimmigrant who is maintaining lawful nonimmigrant status and you return with a valid H, L, V or K3/K4 nonimmigrant visa; OR
B.
You obtain, before you leave the United States, a grant of advance parole by filing Form I-131 as specified in the Form I-131 instructions, and you are paroled into the United States when you return.
(A) does not apply and I don't see any way of reading (B) that makes it okay to leave before you actually have AP in hand. So my answer is no.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:08 am
Just Joined

goatlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackieLiu
Hi, I'm Australian passport holder and need to renew my E-3. I am changing my employer and intend to go to mexico city to renew my e-3. Given the current "climate" between US , Australia and Mexico, should I go to Mexico to renew my E-3?
Has anyone been to mexico to renew e-3 in the past couple of days?
+1 not to go mex for now.

we had a great experience 2 years ago renewing in Mexico City getting it done and home to sf in under a week.

for a new e3 this week we opted for Vancouver as the Mex US consulate was closed 1 day due to protests and very long wait times.

Vancouver was booked in under a week lead time for consulate appointment and new visa issued in 2 days (best one yet) so can highly recommend. good luck!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:31 am
Just Joined

pabst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goatlover
+1 not to go mex for now.

we had a great experience 2 years ago renewing in Mexico City getting it done and home to sf in under a week.

for a new e3 this week we opted for Vancouver as the Mex US consulate was closed 1 day due to protests and very long wait times.

Vancouver was booked in under a week lead time for consulate appointment and new visa issued in 2 days (best one yet) so can highly recommend. good luck!

Ahh good to hear, I'm just waiting on my LCA but want to book Vancouver for next month, was there plenty of times available... Consulate appointment go smooth?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pabst
Ahh good to hear, I'm just waiting on my LCA but want to book Vancouver for next month, was there plenty of times available... Consulate appointment go smooth?
Here's a hint - you can change the LCA number after you've made a booking...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.