Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:41 am
Just Joined

henco_en_mexico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

I wanted to share my experiences about getting a E3 visa in Mexico City...

I've previously held a E3 visas between 2007 and 2010, but went back to Australia for a little while. In 2011, I accepted a job based in New York, so needed to apply for another E3. This time I decided to apply in Mexico City, as the interview wait times and processing times seemed quite attractive. I was also keen on visiting Mexico City.

Visa appointments in Mexico are a two stage process. Stage one is with the Application Service Center (ASC), who'll review your documents and take your biometrics. Stage two is with the Consulate, who'll actually issue the visa. The appointments are booked using the CSC usvisa-info.com website (yes - computer sciences corporation administers US visa appointments). Fees are also paid using this website.

The ASC appointment can be done several days before the Consulate appointment. It appears that you cannot book the ASC appointment and Consulate appointment on the same day. The CSC visa info website isn't very intuitive when it comes to booking appointments, eg you need to select the consulate appointment first, then the ASC appointment. You cannot reschedule the ASC appointment without cancelling the consulate appointment. The website is quite finicky when it comes to adding Family members, eg I was not able to add a family member, either due to different surnames or the family member having created a separate login for the website. You also need to pick a DHL branch for passport collection (but this turned out to be unnecessary in my case)

It took me some time to fiddle around with the various options and I ended up booking separate appointments for me (ASC-Tue, Consulate-Wed) and my wife (ASC-Wed, Consulate-Thu), due to limited availability. I checked back several times after making the appointment to see if any other slots opened up, so we could be seen together, but nothing opened up.

We arrived in Mexico City on Sunday afternoon and did some touristy things on Sunday evening and Monday. On Tuesday, we went to the ASC (10mins walk from our hotel) a few hours before my scheduled time - they were able to process me anyway. I politely asked if they could process my wife as well, but they refused as their computers would not allow it. The rest of Tuesday was more Touristy stuff

On Wednesday morning, we went back to the ASC first thing in the morning (a few hours before her scheduled time) to do my wife's biometrics. The ASC was quite busy in the morning, so it took her almost 1 hour to be processed, whereas it only took me 10mins. After this, we went to the consulate (next to our Hotel, 10mins walk from the ASC) to attend my consulate appointment. I again asked the consulate representative if we could attend together and this time we were allowed. I suspect this was because of a language barrier and they did not check our appointment times carefully.

We waited outside the embassy for 10 minutes before another representative came to greet us. He was very polite and quite apologetic about us having to wait. It seemed like this representative specialized in processing E class visas. He told us that they have only ever processed three other E3 visas in Mexico City.

Inside the consulate there were hundreds of other people waiting for visa interviews, but we were seen immediately. The representative looked as our papers and verified our biometrics. He then went away for about 90mins to verify/review a few things. When he returned he said it took him some time to verify whether my application was a renewal or an initial application. He concluded it was an initial application, as I was changing employers since my last visa. After this we went to an interview window. Again, we were seen immediately and did not have to queue up with everyone else.

At the interview window - I was only asked two questions: "Who will I be working for?" and "Where will I be based?" My wife was not asked any questions. They did not ask to see any of my documents like my degree certificates or marriage certificate. Lastly the interview officer asked when I was returning to the US. I responded with "As soon as our passports are available". I was given a purple ticket and a white piece of paper indicating that out passports would be ready for collection at 4pm the following day.

I retuned at 4pm on Thursday to collect our passports, where the same representative who processed our visas gave us our passports. He also gave passports to a few other people waiting for other E class visas.

The other thing to note is that DFAT and the US State department have several travel warnings about Mexico. I did read these before making appointments in Mexico City, but decided that they were not any worse than some other countries I’ve been to. Also the warnings were more extreme around US border towns that Mexico City itself. The only precautions we took were to arrange an airport pick up from the Hotel and take guided tours outside of the city. The touristy areas around the city seemed quite safe, due to the heavy policy and private security presence.

Overall the process was quite smooth and our Trip to Mexico City was lots of fun. I must say that I did have a minor panic attack on Tuesday evening, before my consulate appointment, after seeing information on the Mexico City US Embassy website information saying that I was not eligible to apply for a visa in Mexico City, but they didn’t seem to enforce this and processed our applications anyway.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Ra5AU is an unknown quantity at this point
Question E-3 Visa - Non IT - Banking

Hi,

I am in Corporate Banking non-IT with 10+ years experience and MBA.

Just wanted to know if any one got sponsorship and E3 visa with above criteria.

And can you please guidance/advice on how to apply for banking jobs and how was your experience.

Thanks any reply and advice.

Ra5AU

Old Apr 30th 2011, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa - Non IT - Banking

Originally Posted by Ra5AU
I'm sure some did... but they might not be members here.

And can you please guidance/advice on how to apply for banking jobs...
The process for applying for a bank job is the same as if you were applying in Australia, except you're applying to the US. Of course, you also need a US employer to offer you a job and be willing to sponsor you.

Ian
Old May 1st 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa - Non IT - Banking

Hi,

I am in Corporate Banking non-IT with 10+ years experience and MBA.

And can you please guidance/advice on how to apply for banking jobs and how was your experience.

Thanks any reply and advice.

Ra5AU

Network network network.

Visit here and throw your resume around.

Unless you are super talented and renowned, nothing is going to happen unless you are here in the States.

I took me 3 trips and 2 years of networking but of course it could be shorter in your case. It all depends.

In short - Network and physical presence here.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian & E3 Only,

Posting message on this forum was my 1st step of networking.

I will keep looking, applying and if needed will land there.

Thanks guys,

Ra5AU
Old May 1st 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian & E3 Only,

Posting message on this forum was my 1st step of networking.

I will keep looking, applying and if needed will land there.

Thanks guys,

Ra5AU
Imagine someone from US is applying for Australian jobs. If they didn't have some very unique/renowned skills, do you think employers will even care?

California for instance, unemployment is something like 11-12%. Applying jobs might not get you far. You should be prepared to be in linkedin, moster or whatever and then pick up the phone speak to a few consultants. Tell them you going to be in US for 3 weeks and then get them to set some time with you. That's your best chance.

Unless you are superman in what you do, it's going to he hard to land a job without physically being here....that's my experience.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

henco_en_mexico is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone recently applied for a EAD? Could you please share you processing time?

Also what did you use for your eligibility code? I know this has been asked quite a bit in the forums, but I couldn't see a definitive answer.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Sorry Henco,

Hi E3Only.......

What is the best city in USA for banking jobs.

I am planning to go there and try for jobs personally.

Thanks

Ravi
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:04 pm
HET
Just Joined

HET is an unknown quantity at this point

Applying for E3 visa in Singapore and just wondering if anyone can help - have submitted online application for E3 visa for myself, spouse, and kids and when I get to the appointment stage and submit, it says no seats available.

I can clearly see on the embassy appointment schedule that there is availability - for every wed this month.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there a problem with the website? Been trying over weekend but had no luck and public holiday here today so no joy either.

TIA.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What is the best city in USA for banking jobs.
A better question might be: In what city do banking jobs exist?

Still, since you ask: NYC.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
A better question might be: In what city do banking jobs exist?

Still, since you ask: NYC.

Ian
Agree.... and then Chicago, Boston and Charlotte (Banking AND financial services) are other known areas. None like NYC of course.

I am over the west coast.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I an & E3only,

What is the best time - I mean are there any specific months which are good for job hunting in USA.

Thanks

Ra5AU
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

I mean are there any specific months which are good for job hunting in USA.
Not really, no. Currently, all months are equally good for job hunting, and equally bad for succeeding.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks I an & E3only,

What is the best time - I mean are there any specific months which are good for job hunting in USA.

Thanks

Ra5AU
I think perhaps avoid Dec thru to Jan end. The fact is as Ian says, it can be good/bad pick any month.

I think, if you are good the chances of getting a job are just as good any month. Be prepared, not necessary that you will get a job first visit. Try to come for as long as possible, be prepared if no success at first go to keep working on it....
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian & E3Only,

You two have been very helpful.

I will keep all of you posted with how I am going.

Ra5AU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.