Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
I agree that H-1B is better in your case, because it will give you a 3-year duration for work and the visa application fee is much cheaper nowadays than E-3. Only drawback I can see is H-1B has a max duration of 6 years, after which you need to leave the U.S. for at least a year before coming back for another H-1B. If you're planning on working for the company for a very long term, H-1B won't be ideal unless a concurrent employment based PR petition is also filed.
How is the application fee "much cheaper" than E3? I thought it looked like:

E = $390 (non immigrant visa fee)

H = $150 (NIVF) + $325 (I-129 filing fee) + petition etc?

It's entirely possible I am wrong; I've never had an H1B but would be interested to know the answer.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:29 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by augigi
How is the application fee "much cheaper" than E3? I thought it looked like:

E = $390 (non immigrant visa fee)

H = $150 (NIVF) + $325 (I-129 filing fee) + petition etc?

It's entirely possible I am wrong; I've never had an H1B but would be interested to know the answer.
You can go back and read Retzie's post:

" I'm setting up arrangements for a new job and I have been given a choice between a new E-3 or an H-1B. It seems like no contest except:
•I have no dependents
•I won't be paying for any part (and the employer doesn't mind the costs of a petition)
•I have no immigrant intent BUT already have 3 years of E-3(R) behind me
•it's an academic job, so no H quotas/time restrictions
•this only has to be sorted out by mid-August and I will be in Oz to apply."

The only part Retzie's responsible for is the visa application fee at the U.S. consulate

Last edited by lifehouse51; Apr 9th 2011 at 1:33 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Cannon is an unknown quantity at this point

MINIMUM HOURS FOR AN E3 visa

Hi,

I want to get work as a junior therapist working with children who have Autism. It is in high demand. Most jobs require a minimum of 10-15 hours.

What are the minimum hours for work on an E3 visa? My friend reckons he spoke with a lawyer who said it was a minimum of 25 hours.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cannon
MINIMUM HOURS FOR AN E3 visa

Hi,

I want to get work as a junior therapist working with children who have Autism. It is in high demand. Most jobs require a minimum of 10-15 hours.

What are the minimum hours for work on an E3 visa? My friend reckons he spoke with a lawyer who said it was a minimum of 25 hours.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Before that,

- E3 required Bachelors degree
- Job should be related to the education
- Job should be specialized.

Q: What is a specialty occupation?

A: The definition of “specialty occupation” is one that requires:

* A theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge; and
* The attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

In determining whether an occupation qualifies as a “specialty occupation,” follow the definition contained in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 214 (i)(1) for H-1B nonimmigrants and applicable standards and criteria determined by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Please see the USCIS page for more information.

Although there is no definitive list of occupations eligible for the E3 visa, a useful general guide for applicants to check if their occupation might be considered a graduate specialty profession and thus might be eligible for an E3 visa, is the Occupational Information Network website O*NET Online.

Q: I have a degree and have found a job in a related profession in the U.S. Do I qualify for the E-3 visa?

A: The job will qualify provided that it requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specialty occupation. It is not enough that an E-3 applicant holds a particular degree; the job itself must also require a bachelor-level or higher qualification. For example, someone with a degree in Business Studies planning to work as a Personal Assistant would not be eligible for the E-3 unless the job actually required a bachelor-level qualification.

Q: I am a skilled tradesperson with qualifications and experience in plumbing/electrical work/carpentry for example. Do these kind of trades qualify as specialty occupations for the E-3 visa?

A: Not generally, because a requirement of the E-3 visa is that the job in the United States requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specialty occupation. As very few trade positions require a degree, they are not appropriate for the E-3 visa.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Cannon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - but this position DOES require a bachelors degree in Psychology, childrens education etc which I have.

So back to the question of Minimum hours?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You can go back and read Retzie's post:

" I'm setting up arrangements for a new job and I have been given a choice between a new E-3 or an H-1B. It seems like no contest except:
•I have no dependents
•I won't be paying for any part (and the employer doesn't mind the costs of a petition)
•I have no immigrant intent BUT already have 3 years of E-3(R) behind me
•it's an academic job, so no H quotas/time restrictions
•this only has to be sorted out by mid-August and I will be in Oz to apply."

The only part Retzie's responsible for is the visa application fee at the U.S. consulate
Thanks, I can read. It's misleading saying that the H1B application is "much cheaper" than E3. Perhaps the portion he's responsible for is less by a couple of hundred bucks.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:28 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I can read. It's misleading saying that the H1B application is "much cheaper" than E3. Perhaps the portion he's responsible for is less by a couple of hundred bucks.
I agree that H-1B is better in your case, because it will give you a 3-year duration for work and the visa application fee is much cheaper nowadays than E-3. Only drawback I can see is H-1B has a max duration of 6 years, after which you need to leave the U.S. for at least a year before coming back for another H-1B. If you're planning on working for the company for a very long term, H-1B won't be ideal unless a concurrent employment based PR petition is also filed.
Again, I am now just quoting myself, I was referring to the visa application fee being cheaper (Some will argue saying "cheaper" is more appropriate than "much cheaper"). I think all the posts on these forums have to be read carefully because they're not always talking about things in general but referring to specific situations. I certainly can see why people can find it misleading, and that's why I'm posting these additional posts to clarify.

Last edited by lifehouse51; Apr 11th 2011 at 11:31 am.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:30 am
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by jenefer
Try getting H1B because its a 3 years visa (longer duration) with dual intent.H1B have premium processing option whereas E-3 lacks premium processing option.Its only my personal opinion.
Actually Premium processing will be an issue for E-3 if you're trying to extend your E-3 status or change from another status to E-3 while within the U.S. In those situations, you have to petition through the USCIS and having premium processing will be useful. If you apply for an E-3 visa outside of the U.S., premium processing is not available but not needed either, because the USCIS is not involved.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your input.

As noted below, the fees for which I am liable are lower with the H-1B (although, these may be reimbursed anyway.) The main thing on my mind is actually the cost of having to renew an E-3 at the two year mark ($390 again, travel, hotel, etc.) which I can't imagine anyone will reimburse.
I'm female btw.

Again, I am now just quoting myself, I was referring to the visa application fee being cheaper (Some will argue saying "cheaper" is more appropriate than "much cheaper"). I think all the posts on these forums have to be read carefully because they're not always talking about things in general but referring to specific situations. I certainly can see why people can find it misleading, and that's why I'm posting these additional posts to clarify.
Well, I call it much cheaper! I know I'm very spoilt getting to choose like this, but I figure if all else is equal, I might as well save some cash and avoid such a short timeline for renewal.

Everyone's thoughts are appreciated - I am surrounded by USC's who are blissfully unaware of these things!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

kriggles33 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Cannon

I work as an Occupational Therapist (OTR) in the US. What do u mean by junior therapist?
Is this an alternative to an OT Assistant/Aide or COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy
Assistant) OR an Physical Therapy (PT) Assistant/Aide? If not, PTA/OTA or COTA's require an associate degree
in COTA/PTA and pass the National Licensure examination by their respective professional
body. This may not qualify though as an E-3 visa requires at least a bachelors degree.

I have not heard of a junior therapist before working for kids with Autism. I have friends who
work in pediatrics and have not mentioned anything of that sort. It may be a new role
which has recently come up.

If you think of practicing as a therapist however, (OT /PT/ SP-Speech/Language Pathologist)
you also have to
pass the National Board exams of their respective disciplines- most of them now
require at least a Masters degree before letting u sit for the national board examinations.

About the minimum hours component- I believe a full-time role is required for an
E-3 visa. I could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by Cannon
Thanks - but this position DOES require a bachelors degree in Psychology, childrens education etc which I have.

So back to the question of Minimum hours?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:09 am
Just Joined

reggie14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I have been told by few consultancies in US that there are two kinds of employers,

1) candidate can be recruited directly by the company

2) candidate will be recruited by the recruitment consultancy either on permanant or on contract role, where the recruitment consultancy will become the employer(correct me if Im wrong)

My question is in second case, if we show the employment letter from recruitment consultancy is that enough or do we need to show any further documentation along with it?

One of the old companies which I worked for in melbourne got dissolved and due to which Im unable to provide any documentation for that experience, so what should I do in this scenario? I understand that we need to have employment letter, LCA, education cetificates and work certificates along with citizenship certificate for the interview, do we need to carry any other documents apart from this?

and can some one please elaborate on work experience certificates(to be shown for australia) like what do they expect from us, any letter or an email or the TL/PM contact number?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

sophiebrebner is an unknown quantity at this point

Life can quickly take different twists and turns, I originally posted about investing in EB5 and an off the cuff comment my husband made to an ex-colleague has resulted in us obtaining E3 visas which we received in the mail today. Thanks to this brilliant site all the questions they asked at the US embassay in Melbourne, I had read about on various posts so we were completely prepared. So we are off to Portland Oregon in 4 weeks. Dreams do come true.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophiebrebner
Life can quickly take different twists and turns, I originally posted about investing in EB5 and an off the cuff comment my husband made to an ex-colleague has resulted in us obtaining E3 visas which we received in the mail today. Thanks to this brilliant site all the questions they asked at the US embassay in Melbourne, I had read about on various posts so we were completely prepared. So we are off to Portland Oregon in 4 weeks. Dreams do come true.
Congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood. Maybe it will even stop raining by the time you get here.
O wait.

There's a lovely Aussie pie shop here for when you get the cravings.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

greasemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

looking at starting my E3 application soon and i had a couple of quick questions,
1. will there be an issue if the owner of the company shares the same surname of me? (distant relative, but theres a legit position for me).
2. US$390 application fee. i'm guessing this is payable once i get the reference from a completed DS-160 application?
cheeeers

Last edited by greasemonkey; Apr 25th 2011 at 8:26 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:26 am
Just Joined

sophiebrebner is an unknown quantity at this point

You pay the fee after you receive your LCA approval and when you make your appointment at the Embassay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.