Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

cklin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully applied for their initial E-3 visa outside Australia? I am planning to have my interview in Tokyo however there is no mention that this not allowed on the US embassy website in Tokyo. However, I see according to the US embassy site in Australia it states "first time E3 visa applicants will need to apply in Australia" . I Just wanted to know if anyone could comment on this?

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/e3visa/apply_search.html
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

skzm is an unknown quantity at this point

This might seem like a strange question - but there is no way my employer could extend my E3 without my involvement/co-operation right?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skzm
This might seem like a strange question - but there is no way my employer could extend my E3 without my involvement/co-operation right?
You're right... it's a strange question! I don't think the employer can do it without your involvement... but even if they could, you're not obligated to remain in the US.

Ian
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're right... it's a strange question! I don't think the employer can do it without your involvement... but even if they could, you're not obligated to remain in the US.
Ah cheers for the quick response. Just asking as I am employed by our Australian office, but on assignment to the US one at the moment with the view of going back when my visa runs out - but have a feeling they won't feel the same way...
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Ah cheers for the quick response. Just asking as I am employed by our Australian office, but on assignment to the US one at the moment with the view of going back when my visa runs out - but have a feeling they won't feel the same way...
Then you just leave!!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by E3only
Then you just leave!!
Ah sorry - I mean going back to my Aussie job (I am employed by the Aussie office still... and want a repatriation)

Last edited by skzm; Aug 8th 2011 at 6:20 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sorry - I mean going back to my Aussie job (I am employed by the Aussie office still... and want a repatriation)
Got it...

Is there a 'location' clause in your contract (AUS)
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

pinkhandbag is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just arrived in the USA on E-3 and set up a checking and savings account at Chase.

They asked me to fill out a W-8BEN form. Is this correct or should it be a W-9, or something else?

If it matters I have applied for SSN but have not yet received it.

Apologies if this is answered somewhere but I searched Google and these boards and didn't find anything conclusive for E-3 or other similar visas H, L, etc.

Cheers,
pink
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pinkhandbag
Hi,

I just arrived in the USA on E-3 and set up a checking and savings account at Chase.

They asked me to fill out a W-8BEN form. Is this correct or should it be a W-9, or something else?

If it matters I have applied for SSN but have not yet received it.

Apologies if this is answered somewhere but I searched Google and these boards and didn't find anything conclusive for E-3 or other similar visas H, L, etc.

Cheers,
pink
Sounds right. Standard practice to get the W8BEN signed.

Once you have your SSN, you should let them know and they will then update their records.

With the W8BEN I think you can not transfer money externally but hopefully you get the SSN soon so once you have that you will be fine.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds right. Standard practice to get the W8BEN signed.

Once you have your SSN, you should let them know and they will then update their records.

With the W8BEN I think you can not transfer money externally but hopefully you get the SSN soon so once you have that you will be fine.
Cool thanks.

Outside of getting a SSN, bank accounts and a driver's license, filing taxes and keeping my job, is there anything else that needs to happen?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cool thanks.

Outside of getting a SSN, bank accounts and a driver's license, filing taxes and keeping my job, is there anything else that needs to happen?
Yup.

Establish credit and Don't forget to enjoy your stay )
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yup.

Establish credit and Don't forget to enjoy your stay )
Ah yes credit. Thanks for the tips!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah yes credit. Thanks for the tips!
If you have american express card for more than 12 months in your home country then google 'american express global transfer scheme'.

Else, talk to Chase/BOFA/Wells and get a secured credit card...best way to start building your credit.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Got it...

Is there a 'location' clause in your contract (AUS)
I don't think so - from memory I signed just a standard full time employment contract. I am still covered by that contract I think - as I am covered by the Australian HR policys, leave, get paid super etc. I am figuring that once my visa runs out, I can report to the Aussie office and they have to pay me....haha
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think so - from memory I signed just a standard full time employment contract. I am still covered by that contract I think - as I am covered by the Australian HR policys, leave, get paid super etc. I am figuring that once my visa runs out, I can report to the Aussie office and they have to pay me....haha
Well, Australia is much more patient in HR policies than the hire and fire here so from that perspective you are good.

It will most likely come down to how you handle/talk to them. I think leaving on a good note (if that eventuates) is the right way to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.