Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by ram_aru
My question is for changeing employer do i need to cross the broder and get new visa or can my employer file I 129 petition.
The new employer must file a petition on your behalf. Once it's accepted, you can switch jobs. You don't need to leave the country to do this. However, you need to realize that as soon as you switch companies, your current visa becomes invalid for travel... so if you travel outside the US, you must go to a US Consulate overseas to get a new visa put in your passport before you'll be allowed to return to the US. If you have no plans to travel outside the US, you don't need to worry about that.

Ian
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

ram_aru is an unknown quantity at this point

HI

Thank You Ian

I have one more question .
My employer wants to start as soon as possible , so they are suggesting me to go to canada or bahamas for new visa stamping .
my wife have a valid visa and I 94 until 2012. if she is not acompanying for new visa with me now ,is she legally in status Or i need to apply Dependent petition to her .

thank you .

Please Suggest.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Losverdes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Can anyone please tell me that on renewing my E3 at US consulate outwith US, whether the new E3 (hopefully of 2 years) will be dated from date of interview or date of expiry of current E3?

Many thanks
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

my wife have a valid visa and I 94 until 2012. if she is not acompanying for new visa with me now ,is she legally in status Or i need to apply Dependent petition to her .
What visa does she have now?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

ram_aru is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

E3d dependent visa.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Losverdes
Can anyone please tell me...
You don't need to post the same question in multiple threads.

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

She has a dependent visa... meaning, validity is dependent on your visa. Once you change employers, her visa - like yours - becomes invalid. I think she can apply for a change, the same as you... but again, if she leaves the US, she will need to get a new visa in her passport before returning to the US. For that, she'll need proof of your E-3 visa and a copy of your marriage certificate. You'll want to check all this out before proceeding just to be sure.

Ian
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

skzm is an unknown quantity at this point

So I'm on a E3 visa working for a company in the US. I've got some sketchy plans to maybe take a sabbatical for a few months - so would still be employed etc in my role, and all that. Just not working, or getting paid. Does that affect my E3 at all?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You are meant to notify USCIS I believe if there is any material change in what you are doing, compared to what you are meant to be doing as per your job description that the visa was granted for. I assume that would cover er.. "not working or getting paid", since it is a work visa. Sounds similar to the "benching" of H1B's, which is not permitted.

Why are you making these "sketchy plans" - your choice, or the company's?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

skzm is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for your reply. So yep - these sketchy plans are my choice (not sure whether I could get it approved etc - but it is in the HR policy so you never know); just kind of toying with the idea of taking a couple of months off and seeing some of the sights. Wasn't sure whether I'd need to exit and re-enter of the VWP or something. The idea would be to return to the same role - so I guess in someways like an extended period of annual leave without the income...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Definitely not doable while remaining on E3, imho.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Holler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - this thread is great, has lots of useful information!

I am going over to the US in March under the VWP to look for a job and would like some advice. I'm an accountant with 10 years experience, have a bachelors degree in commerce and am a qualified CA so I know I will fulfil the E3 requirements in that respect, but I don't have a job lined up yet.

What is the best was for me to go about looking for jobs in the US? I have heard a lot of stories about well qualified people looking the 'old fashioned way' (ie searching the online job websites etc) with no success. I have also heard some employers won't even consider you if they know you need a visa, no matter how simple the process may be. Is it best to go through a recruiter? Any advice or tips from people who have been through this process would be appreciated.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Holler
I have heard a lot of stories about well qualified people looking the 'old fashioned way' (ie searching the online job websites etc) with no success.
True, but there are also success stories. In my experience, people tend to focus on that which concerns them the most. In this case, the failure to secure a job. As an aside, I'm amused by your concept that "online job websites" constitutes the "old fashioned way". The best method, since you ask, is sloggin' door to door... meeting people and networking.

I have also heard some employers won't even consider you if they know you need a visa, no matter how simple the process may be.
Also true. There are many unemployed accountants with superior qualifications (most in the US have both an MBA and CPA) and experience... and they don't need to be sponsored... and they can start work tomorrow.

Is it best to go through a recruiter?
No... well, not unless you want to throw money down the drain.

I don't want to deliberately dash your dreams, but you'll need to demonstrate superior qualifications just to be considered.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to toss in their $0.02 worth. Good luck to you!

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my 2 cents worth.

1. As Ian mentioned NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. I am from accounting and finance field and the fact is, Americans like to do it their own way so they don’t give a damn about an overseas CA. Cruel but true. However, they value experience just as much. The way I approached is, I was very active about 6-8 months before my trip here. The first half of this I tried to make as many contacts as possible via BE / Linkedin and then friends. Networking is the key. 2 months out of arriving here, I was lucky to know 4-5 recruitment consultants. I had set up interviews with them BEFORE I got here

2. Line up your resume. Through contacts, I was able to ‘Americanize’ my resume so that was sorted out. 3-4 months before I actually visited I had my resume ready and was sending it out on LinkedIn or applying on websites (direct)

3. Narrow down your location. US is a huge country so no point in hoping to cover east and west coast in 2 weeks. Zoom into the area

4. Know where your experience is. Stick to it and apply within the area of expertise

5. Research into skype US mobile number. 2 weeks out, you can hammer it hard and put that as you contact point

When you are here-
1. Let them know E3 visa is mere formality. Most of the folks here are aware of the TN visa. You can always say to them that the E3 is very similar to TN, in that, no petition, no expense, no delay in getting

2. Be flexible but not desperate. Living here is expensive, especially NYC or say SF/Calif. So don’t be desperate for a job here or you will be paid peanuts

Thanks it from me unless you specific questions
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Holler is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys! I had started half-heartedly reaching out to some of my contacts overseas but will make that more of a focus now.

Also - is it worth making cold calls / sending my resume and details directly to companies in my area of expertise, or is that generally a waste of time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.