Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jul 19th 2013, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Dpaks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi, Anyone went for E3 interview in Melbourne? the missus will be going for hers next week and would like to know if there is any place to store her cell phone, handbag etc at/near the security? It has been a while since I went and cant seem to remember.
Thnx !
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dpaks
Hi, Anyone went for E3 interview in Melbourne? the missus will be going for hers next week and would like to know if there is any place to store her cell phone, handbag etc at/near the security? It has been a while since I went and cant seem to remember.
Thnx !
In sydney, yes when I went. they hold it for you i think.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:39 am
Just Joined

wante3visa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi guys,
Have a question about E3D visa.
I could not find much info on it, but I could be wrong.

I am o a E3 visa (my first one).
I recently married my girlfriend who is here on B2 at the moment.

I would like to apply for her E3D visa.

Question is -- Can I go to Mexico and do it? This will be her first E3D visa.

Or should I go to Canada?

I was thinking Mexico so we could have a mini vacation and get the visa stamped too.

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wante3visa
I would like to apply for her E3D visa.
You can't... she is the only one who can apply for her visa.

Can I go to Mexico and do it? Or should I go to Canada?
Either will work - but understand that neither are obligated to.

I was thinking Mexico so we could have a mini vacation and get the visa stamped too.
Can't you have a mini vacation in Canada? If you do go to Mexico, I suggest you avoid staying anywhere near the Mexico/US border.

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can't... she is the only one who can apply for her visa.

Either will work - but understand that neither are obligated to.

Can't you have a mini vacation in Canada? If you do go to Mexico, I suggest you avoid staying anywhere near the Mexico/US border.

Ian
Thanks a lot for the quick response Ian.
We actually lived in Canada for quite some time, so thought Mexico could work.

But seems like Canada is easier (given that we're in NYC).

Just one more question - Bahamas might work too right?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Bahamas might work too right?
It might... but here's something else to consider: she can change status within the US from B-2 to E-3D. All she needs is proof of your E-3 visa, and a copy of your marriage certificate. If the COS is successful (and there's no reason it shouldn't be, since it's a derivative status), she'll be in E-3D status and can do whatever is allowed on an E-3D. She'll be landlocked though... which means that if she leaves the US, she'll need to appear at a US Consulate abroad to get the actual visa in her passport. She won't be allowed to enter the US in E-3D status without the visa.

Now, whether it's easier to do that or travel first and do it... well, that's entirely up to you!

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

It might... but here's something else to consider: she can change status within the US from B-2 to E-3D. All she needs is proof of your E-3 visa, and a copy of your marriage certificate. If the COS is successful (and there's no reason it shouldn't be, since it's a derivative status), she'll be in E-3D status and can do whatever is allowed on an E-3D. She'll be landlocked though... which means that if she leaves the US, she'll need to appear at a US Consulate abroad to get the actual visa in her passport. She won't be allowed to enter the US in E-3D status without the visa.

Now, whether it's easier to do that or travel first and do it... well, that's entirely up to you!

Ian

That's a good idea too.
But I read on the form that you should apply for it at least 45 days before your current visa expires. Unfortunately, we have less than 3 weeks before it expires. So we might do Canada for now I guess.

Thanks a lot for your help, Ian.

Much appreciated.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

That's a good idea too.
But I read on the form that you should apply for it at least 45 days before your current visa expires. Unfortunately, we have less than 3 weeks before it expires. So we might do Canada for now I guess.

Thanks a lot for your help, Ian.

Much appreciated.
Bahamas won't process visas unless you are a Bahamian resident and Canada has about a six week wait for appointments.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Hethro is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding the 'job offer letter' required at the interview..

Should the letter include job requirements as well as a job description?

ie. should the letter stipulate a certain degree plus experience in certain areas is a minimum requirement?

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
My wife got her E3 approved yesterday, apparently a pretty straightforward process and the folks were really nice .... They just asked where she worked, what she did and what I am doing and told her the passport will be mailed the next day.
Have any of you Had recent experience in Melbourne and how long did it take to get your passport back?

Thank you,
Regards,
Deepak
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

wildest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
My wife is on an E3 and I'm on the E3d Visa.

She has accepted a new job and will be applying for a new E3 Visa. Due to travel commitments, I'm not sure I'll be able to apply and make the appointment at the same time as her.

When her current E3 is cancelled, does my current E3d Visa remain valid until it's expiry date or is it also cancelled?

Here's what I'm hoping we can do;
- She applys for her new E3 in Canada or London in mid-August
- We have a trip to the Dominican Republic planned for the end of August which we would both fly out for
- We both return to the US
- I leave in mid September to apply for my E3d Visa

Is this feasible / legal?

Interestingly enough, she actually renewed her original E3 in July last year. I kept my original E3, came and went from the US a number of times on this E3 then didn't renew until October that year. I'm not sure if this is an indication that my Visa stays valid?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All, An update on the passport delivery as an fyi ....wifey went for her E3 interview in Melbourne on Tuesday @9AM and the passport with the visa was delivered on Thu @8AM !! this is amazing they seem to be very prompt.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wildest
Hi All,
My wife is on an E3 and I'm on the E3d Visa.

She has accepted a new job and will be applying for a new E3 Visa. Due to travel commitments, I'm not sure I'll be able to apply and make the appointment at the same time as her.

When her current E3 is cancelled, does my current E3d Visa remain valid until it's expiry date or is it also cancelled?

Here's what I'm hoping we can do;
- She applys for her new E3 in Canada or London in mid-August
- We have a trip to the Dominican Republic planned for the end of August which we would both fly out for
- We both return to the US
- I leave in mid September to apply for my E3d Visa

Is this feasible / legal?

Interestingly enough, she actually renewed her original E3 in July last year. I kept my original E3, came and went from the US a number of times on this E3 then didn't renew until October that year. I'm not sure if this is an indication that my Visa stays valid?

Thanks in advance
Hi wildest, I could be wrong but I think a E3D is tied to a E3 which in turn is tied to a particular employer so I would think that your E3D becomes invalid the moment your wife's E3 is cancelled.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wildest
Your E-3D is linked to her E-3. Once hers is cancelled, yours becomes immediately invalid.

You're confusing the terms "visa" and "status". The first is a travel document... the second is what you get when you enter the US with your visa. It's the status that's important. As long as her E-3 is valid (read = she works for her E-3 sponsor), your E-3D is valid. If she leaves her current sponsor, her E-3 becomes invalid, as does your E-3D. Once she gets a new E-3 with a new employer, you can apply for a new E-3D.

Ian

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

wildest is an unknown quantity at this point

Once she gets a new E-3 with a new employer, you can apply for a new E-3D.
Thanks Ian. We've moved a couple of things around and it looks like we'll be attending the interview at the same time now which removes some complexity.

I have an additional questions regarding my EAD if someone can help out;
I've got an application for an EAD in process at the moment and I'm expecting it to be approved in the coming weeks.

Am I going to need to apply for a new EAD once I'm on a new E3d?

Thanks again,

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.