British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   E-3 Visa 2010 Running Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/e-3-visa-2010-running-thread-648097/)

ads_LA Dec 21st 2009 8:39 pm

E-3 Visa 2010 Running Thread

MODERATOR NOTE:
This thread is a continuation of the E-3 2009 Visa thread, which was getting long. For E-3 Visa experiences background, please read the last thread.
end Moderator note

Just thought I would chime in with my situation in hopes of helping people out that are considering extending or changing their employment. I also have a question at the end regarding the Vancouver Consulate...

Currently I am working for a company in Los Angeles. I entered the country on an E-3 VISA and have been working for 2 years. Recently the term of that VISA was due to expire on November 11th 2009. In September I filed an I-129 for 'continuation of previously approved employment without change with the same employer'.

I got HR to fill me out an LCA, waited until it was approved, filled out the I-129 and sent off all those forms to the Vermont Service Center with a copy of my bachelor's degree, VISA itself, I-94, passport and a check for $320.00.

Only problem was that my VISA was going to expire before the extension of stay was processed by the Vermont Service Center. I managed to get a customer service representative on the line over at USCIS and they said as long as I have an I-129 application in process that I can continue working for the same employer for 240 days until a decision has been made on that application. On December 15th the extension was approved for another 2 years.

To make matters more interesting I recently got offered a new job... I called up USCIS to see what my options were with submitting another I-129 to change my employer. Here are the responses I got:
  • You can submit for a change of employer using the I-129 but it will take the usual processing time (2 months)
  • I then asked if I have an approved LCA with the new employer can I start work? After 30 minutes of being on hold the answer was UNSURE and I should call the "State Department"

So I called VISA Services at the State Department. Here is what they told me:
  • The VISA itself does not matter, you only need that to be valid when you enter the country, you are responsible for maintaining a valid status whilst in the country using the I-129
  • I could file an I-129 for change of employer but COULD NOT WORK until it was approved by USCIS (2 months or more later...)
  • They said my best option was to go to Canada and just get a new VISA stamped in and come straight back to work

So I've decided to do just that should everything go according to plan with this new company.

My question for anyone who's made it down here...

Because I am planning on visiting the Vancouver consulate what is the turnaround for the VISA? I am reading conflicting things. Some people say you give them an Express Post Envelope and other say you can pick it up?

Thoughts?

Hope my post has proved helpful, I've spent hours investigating E3 VISA stuff and have come to the conclusion that you can do all the legwork, it just takes time and patience.

Cheers,
Ads

yoj Dec 29th 2009 4:30 pm

Re: E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

Does anyone know about the new processing times for LCA? I heard 7-9 days, is this the case for E-3, or is that a maximum time that is given, but usually quicker?

ads_LA Dec 29th 2009 7:19 pm

Does anyone know about the new processing times for LCA? I heard 7-9 days, is this the case for E-3, or is that a maximum time that is given, but usually quicker?
A new employer just submitted an LCA on my behalf yesterday. I'll let you know how long it takes.

I did submit one however back in August to extend my current employment and that took about 5 business days to become CERTIFIED.

E3only Dec 29th 2009 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ads_LA (Post 8204337)
A new employer just submitted an LCA on my behalf yesterday. I'll let you know how long it takes.

I did submit one however back in August to extend my current employment and that took about 5 business days to become CERTIFIED.

I thought LCA was something completed online and a print out at end of the process was the LCA for E-3 Interview?

yoj Dec 29th 2009 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8204390)
I thought LCA was something completed online and a print out at end of the process was the LCA for E-3 Interview?

It is completed online but the US Department of Labor must approve it first. This used to be same day, but apparently it is now a process of a few days to over a week.

E3only Dec 29th 2009 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by yoj (Post 8204410)
It is completed online but the US Department of Labor must approve it first. This used to be same day, but apparently it is now a process of a few days to over a week.

Thanks. Out of curiosity what is then the current process.

Say the E-3 applicant sits with the employer and fills in the LCA online and at the end of the process a message pops up saying “DOL has recd the LCA application and its now under process”. Then the E-3 applicant periodically checks online to see if it has been approved?

ads_LA Dec 29th 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks. Out of curiosity what is then the current process.
You (if you have the login info.) or the person filing can certainly periodically check the application to see if the status has changed.

Usually an e-mail is sent out automatically to the e-mail listed on the account of the person who filled out the application.

Cheers,
Ads

E3only Dec 30th 2009 12:14 am

Originally Posted by ads_LA (Post 8204933)
You (if you have the login info.) or the person filing can certainly periodically check the application to see if the status has changed.

Usually an e-mail is sent out automatically to the e-mail listed on the account of the person who filled out the application.

Cheers,
Ads

Thanks for clarifying that. So now, it’s not an instant approval. I wonder what changed over the past few months. May be just a stronger control on approvals given the unemployment rate.

Is it a formality or a scrutiny procedure who knows.

ads_LA Dec 30th 2009 12:19 am

I would suspect it definitely has something to do with the current job market.

May be just a stronger control on approvals given the unemployment rate.
Agreed...

I was also thinking that it had to do with employers trying to take advantage of people in this tough market and 'under paying' them for the role they are applying for.

But yeah... Who knows :blink:

saran Dec 30th 2009 5:12 pm

Question 1: I am an Indian born, Australian Citizen on a E3 visa. Does applying for a Green Card jeopardize my chances of getting E3 visa renewed in the future?
Question 2: My wife is on E3D visa and has EAD. She is working now and can her employer start GC process and will that jeopardize her E3D visa renewal and/or my E3 visa renewal?

What is the best bet? Applying GC on my name or her name? Both are qualified educationally and both have jobs in the U.S.

ian-mstm Dec 30th 2009 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by saran (Post 8206645)
Question 1:

Exactly how many times are you going to ask the exact same questions? I've counted 3 times already... surely once was enough. It's not like people read only one thread and don't read any others!

Ian

saran Dec 30th 2009 11:59 pm

Apologies Ian, I thought by posting at multiple places, I get more opinions.

E3only Dec 31st 2009 12:19 am

Originally Posted by saran (Post 8207479)
Apologies Ian, I thought by posting at multiple places, I get more opinions.

:)

adrfin1313 Dec 31st 2009 3:34 am

My E-3 expired October 2007, but I left the country a re-entered on the same visa which extened it's validity til August 2009...this is stamped on my I-94.

I am still in the US but no longer working, and now wish to obtain a new E-3 for a new employer.

If I apply in Toronto will it be likely I'll have problems? Am I screwed?

Basically my excuse is my passport recently expired, I couldn't renew it, and had to apply again for a new passport with all original documentation, which I didn't have in the US at the time. ...and which took some time to obtain.

ian-mstm Dec 31st 2009 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by adrfin1313 (Post 8207742)
My E-3 expired October 2007, but I left the country a re-entered on the same visa which extened it's validity til August 2009...this is stamped on my I-94.

You can stay until the date on the I-94... after which you must leave the US.

I am still in the US but no longer working, and now wish to obtain a new E-3 for a new employer.
You are currently out of status. Your new employer must apply on your behalf... and you can not get a visa while you are in the US. Be aware that if you remain in the US until February (or roughly whenever you hit day 180 after the expiry date on the I-94), you trigger an automatic 3-year ban from the US because of your overstay. The ban kicks in the moment you leave the US.

If I apply in Toronto will it be likely I'll have problems? Am I screwed?
Do you know why people go to Canada? It's because they can't be arsed to return home to do things properly. My opinion - you're screwed. You currently have no status in the US... and having an application in process doesn't give you any status. Further, once you leave the US you have no way to re-enter because your I-94 has expired... and the Canadians certainly don't want you to be their problem; and, if it takes until after February to get the new E-3 you trigger a ban the moment you leave.

Basically my excuse is my passport recently expired...
Sorry... but it doesn't matter why this happened... it was your responsibility to ensure that your passport was valid. Leave the US now... while you've still got time.

Ian