E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

jamiemax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa 2009 Thread

I have read through the past posts and I am still confused about two issues:

1) What needs to be filed to change employers while on the E-3? How long does it take? How much does it cost?

2) How long does it take to get your passport stamped at the consulate in Montreal? If I have an appointment at 8am is there any possibility to get the visa the same day?

Thankyou
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Aussie in Little Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day everyone,

I have a question regarding getting your visa at the US Consulate in Sydney. Currently, I am living in the US on an E-3 visa - I have the visa in my passport, but it's expiring at the end of this month (June, 2009). My employer has already applied for an E-3 extension and we received the approved paperwork (I-797, I believe) a few weeks ago, so I'll be allowed to stay in the US for another 2 years. However, I'd like to get the visa in my passport. So, I'm planning to head back to Sydney for a week in July (don't have much vacation, so the longest I can go is from Sat to Sun (8 days).

My question is, if I book the appointment for a Monday, can I physically go to the Consulate and pick up my passport / visa? And how many days does it take? The VisaPoint website says you need to provide a self-addressed envelope, but I'm afraid that would take too long and I'd have to reschedule my flight / take more vacation (which I can't really afford to do).

I'm hoping someone has done this recently and can provide some input.

Thanks heaps.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie in Little Rock
So, I'm planning to head back to Sydney for a week in July (don't have much vacation, so the longest I can go is from Sat to Sun (8 days).
I've no idea about the Sydney consulate, but perhaps you can think outside the box... if you can afford it. Ask for time off without pay.

Ian
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Aussie in Little Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your suggestion, but perhaps I should have been clearer in my initial post. I CANNOT take more than a week off, with or without pay.

Please let me know if anyone on here has been to the Sydney US Consulate in 2009 and whether or not you were able to pick up your visa in person.

Thanks.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You can't pick it up in person that I know of, but you can give them an express post envelope so that it's tracked and also guaranteed to arrive the next day. If you go Monday, should be no problem getting it back by Friday. Make sure you tell them at interview of the need for haste.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
You can't pick it up in person that I know of, but you can give them an express post envelope so that it's tracked and also guaranteed to arrive the next day. If you go Monday, should be no problem getting it back by Friday. Make sure you tell them at interview of the need for haste.
Recently been to the visa office and a self addressed registered post reaches on the 2nd working day easy. If you did a 'platinum' express post that takes 1 day.....

So if you had an appointment on Monday expect passport on Wednesday worst case.....
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

ozEcho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa 2009 Terminated...

There were a few questions on the old Thread that were being asked about what happens if you're "terminated" on the E3 visa whilst in the USA.

I'd like to find out what the exact rules are, and what the potential options are. So here is my understanding and some questions.

1) If your terminated, you become out of status in 10 days (or is it 30days?)

2) Employer has to pay for return trip home (visas issued as of May 2008)

3) Are E3D visa holders (dependants) out of status at the same time, or can they rely on their I94 dates?

4) Can the E3 visa holder apply for change of status to a B2 (vistors visa)? Is that possible? or is there another better status to alter to whilst looking for new employment or packing up your stuff?

5) what other options are there?

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa 2009 Terminated...

Originally Posted by ozEcho
1) If your terminated, you become out of status in 10 days (or is it 30days?)
If you're terminated, you become out of status immediately. However, you have 10 days thereafter to leave the US.

2) Employer has to pay for return trip home (visas issued as of May 2008)
Yes... but usually only if it was negotiated as part of a relocation package.

3) Are E3D visa holders (dependants) out of status at the same time, or can they rely on their I94 dates?
The E3D is a dependent visa... and in this sense "dependent" doesn't mean spouse. It means that it's dependent on the status of the E3 visa. Once the E3 visa is terminated, so is the E3D.

4) Can the E3 visa holder apply for change of status to a B2 (vistors visa)?
You can apply for a change to any other visa type whether or not you are actually eligible for such a visa.

Is that possible?
Yes, of course.

or is there another better status to alter to whilst looking for new employment or packing up your stuff?
A legal status is always better than an illegal status.

5) what other options are there?
You find another company to sponsor you, or you leave. Sorry... but that's the harsh reality.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

auiagman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I have a question. If the visa officer told me that I could pick up the visa in the afternoon, the second day. Can I tell him that I want to pick up it a day later? Because I want to stay in Lake Louise national park, Calgary two nights. So I don't have to drive back to get the visa and drive to nation park again.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auiagman
Hi All,

I have a question. If the visa officer told me that I could pick up the visa in the afternoon, the second day. Can I tell him that I want to pick up it a day later? Because I want to stay in Lake Louise national park, Calgary two nights. So I don't have to drive back to get the visa and drive to nation park again.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
That should be fine, I can't imagine why not. Most people want sooner sooner sooner so they probably tell you the earliest it can be picked up.

Enjoy Lake Louise; it will take your breath away it's so beautiful there.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
That should be fine, I can't imagine why not. Most people want sooner sooner sooner so they probably tell you the earliest it can be picked up.

Enjoy Lake Louise; it will take your breath away it's so beautiful there.
Thanks for the quick attention and reply!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All, I have a question about the visa application fee in US consulate in Canada. Today, I made two US money orders and mailed it to my friend in Canada. He would help me to deposit it to ScotiaBank there. But when I mailed it in post office, I realized that there's a type of money order called "International money order". I believe my one is not International money order. Does anybody know if it works or I have to make International money orders?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any rule that says employer has to pay your trip home. Do you mean this is a new rule as of May 08, or are you asking?

The 10 days is not a rule as far as I know - ityou have another status. It's just a grace period to allow you to leave.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

ozEcho is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats my understanding from my employer who had an Immigration attorney process my E3.

In April / May last year a "final rule" was published relating to E3's which placed more obligations on the employers of E3 visas. The final rule can be found here:

http://www.foreignlaborcert.doleta.gov/pdf/E3_regs.pdf

I looked but couldnt find it, but my understandiing is that E3 visas issued after May 11, 2008 were subject to additional conditions. One of them being the return trip home amongst others.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

redafro is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Got a job offer in USA...now the hard part begins...

Hi there,

I have been searching this forum for some answers to questions that I have, and unfortunately I have been unsuccessful.

I arrived in the USA on the VWP a few weeks ago and have fortunately landed myself a great job in NYC, and my employer has given me 3 weeks to get the E-3 visa in order to start work on the 6th July.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following questions:

1. Does anyone know any countries with US consulates that would process my visa in the next 2 weeks? I was told Canada and the UK would be good options - but the earliest either can offer is 16th July, which is too late. I have researched Mexico, and they state on their site that if you have entered on the VWP that they won't process your visa application. I don't want to fly back to Oz (unless absolutely necessary) as the cost and length of the flight seems a bit extreme if I can find a country closer - is there anywhere in Europe which processes E-3 visas quicker?

2. How does one prove that your stay is going to be temporary? I am an Australian citizen, but have been living most of my adult life in the UK (for the past 6 years). So I don't have many permanent ties to Australia nor the UK - for example, owning a house. What documentation would they ask to see to prove that my stay will be temporary?

3. In order to book an appointment with a consulate, do I need to have proof that my LCA form has been lodged? My employer is in the middle of doing this right now, so I don't have access to the approved LCA form just yet, but will have it in a couple of days I guess.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.