Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-2 or American Citizen? Interesting Questions Inside

E-2 or American Citizen? Interesting Questions Inside

Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-2 or American Citizen? Interesting Questions Inside

Originally Posted by crg
This isn't a natz chart case.
Ryan (USC we now think) has, I believe, had a son with Janet.

The question we've been pondering today is whether that son is also a USC. That's where the "born out of wedlock" stuff comes up.

Haven't even got as far as the other kids that Janet had with someone else. And don't intend to until we've got all who are already US citizens suitably documented.

It's a nightmare facts case, this one!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:06 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You said it. I go over to the US for a week and there's a whole new kettle of fish to deal with in this thread.

I'd start with documenting Ryan, and then worry about the rest of the brood. Worst case is he'd have to petition for them I suppose.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Hi, can i just stress that the $2200 is an initial payment to get things in motion we are then going to be charged $400 per hour.
many of the other lawyers i spoke to didnt even mention about the child citizen act 2000 they told us a very blunt no!! the only way is petition for greencard, so although i know its alot of money i do think we have the right attorney.
I do think we shall try for his US passport first, we have all the relevant documents from what ive read on the embassy website.
As for the children i have no idea where to start, we will be going to Florida to visit his father in February and are hoping to get married while over there so thats sorted why are things so complicated
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Ryans just informed me he already has a social security card, does that make a difference?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Ryans just informed me he already has a social security card, does that make a difference?
Means he doesn't need to apply for a new one. The number remains the same when he's a citizen. However, it's not proof of citizenship. But you'll probably want to include a copy in the documentation package for his passport application.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, all that is true, Ian, but for some people an attorney is the only way to go.
Yes... I agree. I was giving the "any way around it" that was asked for... I wasn't attempting to weigh whether or not the alternative was within their comfort zone!

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes... I agree. I was giving the "any way around it" that was asked for... I wasn't attempting to weigh whether or not the alternative was within their comfort zone!

Ian
We have decided to apply for his passport first, if for whatever reason hes denied we will take the official route with the attorney.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Means he doesn't need to apply for a new one. The number remains the same when he's a citizen. However, it's not proof of citizenship. But you'll probably want to include a copy in the documentation package for his passport application.
The SSA will need to be updated with his new status.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:40 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
The SSA will need to be updated with his new status.
Well reminded!

He should visit a US social security office with his passport and old social security card and ask them to update his status.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone, thought i would update you on whats happening.
Well we spoke to a lovely lady who works for the US Embassy, had to send her a very long email with all the details of Ryan.
She called us and told us to get all the information together ie old passports, his dads passports, his mum and dads marriage certificate, adoption papers, you name it we have to provide it.
She also sent Ryan the passport application form to fill in and another list of documents to bring in when he gets an appointment at the Embassy.
We are hoping to get all the documents together over the christmas period so we can start the process in the new year.
Can i just say a huge thankyou to everyone who replied to my thread, if it weren't for you guys we wouldnt have known about the child citizenship act of 2000.

Janet and Ryan
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Great job you two! Be sure to keep us posted with your progress