DV Selectee

Old May 1st 2011, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

lordmuggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DV Selectee

Hey guys

I've been selected in the 2012 lottery, with a pretty low number (in the 3000s).

I'm in the US under a visa at the moment, so I assume my process may be a bit different? I recently changed status to this new visa, so thankfully I have (or, rather my attorney has) a lot of documentation at hand.

Being from the UK (NI which does qualify), I have completed my GCSEs, AS and A2 levels.. and I have the certificates/transcript of results from this. I can also get some transcripts from the 2 out of 4 years I completed in college. But, some websites I've looked at, state that certs/transcripts *do not* qualify as proof.. so what then *does*? Should I contact my high school and college(university) to get formal letters of my status?

I'm a little confused.. but has anyone done this process before, and knows how I should go about this? I'm figuring with the low number I may need to get things prepared pretty quickly...

(Also, do you know if originals are required.. and how do I 'prove eligibility')

Thanks,

M
Old May 1st 2011, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DV Selectee

Originally Posted by lordmuggins
I assume my process may be a bit different?
You assume incorrectly.

But, some websites I've looked at, state that certs/transcripts *do not* qualify as proof...
The corollary, therefore, is that other websites state that certs/transcripts *do* qualify. The question becomes, what do the authoritative websites say? Because they're the only ones that matter.

Ian
Old May 1st 2011, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

I'm a little confused as to what I do now? Step 1 on the website is to 'confirm eligibility' - which I can do.. but do I show this to anyone, or is this simply an internal step (within myself).

- Frantically get all my paperwork ready
- Wait for the bulletin to come out
- Then submit payment.. wait for receipt
- Then file the I-form?

Blessings,

M
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little confused as to what I do now? Step 1 on the website is to 'confirm eligibility' - which I can do
Your process is different from people who are not in the USA. They do what is called "consular processing" (ie their application is processed at a consulate outside of the US, usually in the country that they live in). Because you are in the US, you have to to do an "Adjustment of status" (AOS). I am not sure what the AOS process is but you can search on this forum for information on the AOS process and its requirements.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
Your process is different from people who are not in the USA. They do what is called "consular processing" (ie their application is processed at a consulate outside of the US, usually in the country that they live in). Because you are in the US, you have to to do an "Adjustment of status" (AOS). I am not sure what the AOS process is but you can search on this forum for information on the AOS process and its requirements.
I do not think a diversity lottery winner can do an AOS. The end result must be an immigrant visa, which can only be done via consular processing. The applicant can do most steps from the USA, but will have to do the medical and attend the visa interview in his home country, then return to the USA using the Immigrant Visa.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I do not think a diversity lottery winner can do an AOS. The end result must be an immigrant visa, which can only be done via consular processing. The applicant can do most steps from the USA, but will have to do the medical and attend the visa interview in his home country, then return to the USA using the Immigrant Visa.
Rene
Rene, you are wrong. DV selectees can do AOS. This can be confirmed on this page of the State Departments' website (scroll down to the very bottom of the page)
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Do you know if there's anything I can do now; or am I simply waiting until October at this stage?

On the winner notification it tells me to send 2 forms to Kentucky.. but I'm unsure if this is something I need to do immediately (it is about my high school etc)... or in October when the number of the 'visa is made available' as per the bulletin. It's rather confusing to figure out.

Has anyone from the UK (ie: NI or otherwise) done this, and is aware what *does* qualify as proof of High School/College education. Originals.. scans..?

Thanks

M
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, you are wrong. DV selectees can do AOS. This can be confirmed on this page of the State Departments' website (scroll down to the very bottom of the page)
+1
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Because you are in the US, you have to to do an "Adjustment of status" (AOS).
As far as I understand, he doesn't have to do AOS ... the option of applying for an Immigrant Visa (consular processing) is still available.

Although most people in the US do select AOS there are exceptions and the pros and cons should be discussed with a good immigration attorney.
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Has anyone done this before, and knows my next step.. is it simply waiting, or do I need to prepare & send these forms to the KCC *before* the bulletin?

And has anyone got any ideas as to the education q?

Thanks!

M
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone done this before, and knows my next step.. is it simply waiting, or do I need to prepare & send these forms to the KCC *before* the bulletin?

Thanks!

M
My experience from previous years is:
You must complete DS-230 and DSP122 and send to KCC. This is what is meant by "confirming your eligibility".
You must then get your civil documents ready so that when processing starts on 1 October, your docs are ready.
They only arrange interviews (From 1 Oct) for persons who have confirmed their eligibilty, so it must be sent to them before 1 Oct. Assuming your interview is in December 2011, you must have it with KCC well ahead of that date. If you expect a very early date (say 1 Oct) you must have withh KCC 2 months prior, giving them enough time to process it and schedule your interview.
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

What is the question about education?
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:00 am
Just Joined

I have completed A-levels, and 2.5years of college (unfinished). But we don't get a 'high school diploma' certificate. What would they require as proof of this?

Also Im a little concerned about the proof of funds side of things? Anyone encountered this? I am in the country on a visa, but I work with a not for profit (religious work) so it may look a little 'odd' to them. I'm wondering if I should figure out this sponsor thing too?
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:08 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should just put GCSE (O Level) and A Level results - hopefully you still have the certificates somewhere!

I can't work out the funding thing either - if it's self-funded then how much? If not, does a DV Lottery entrant require a sponsor?

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tking
I think you should just put GCSE (O Level) and A Level results - hopefully you still have the certificates somewhere!

I can't work out the funding thing either - if it's self-funded then how much? If not, does a DV Lottery entrant require a sponsor?

Good luck.
But do I need the certs etc to send to KCC? Or just the forms.. and they verify the certs etc. at the interview?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.