Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

Old Oct 20th 2023, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

RichMitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

Thank you so much. My wife and I got professional photos taken, but I think we might be best to do the same for the kids!

From what I can read online, apparently a lot hinges on the photographs being of a very particular standard.

Old Oct 20th 2023, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.

Yes from what I can tell, there are some free bits and pieces of photograph software available which frame the photos for you to 2 inch * 2 inch and adjust their pixels.

I was hoping we could get away with just taking photos of the kids ourselves with our phones just really looking to try and make sure they are acceptable standard.

Given the huge number of applicants for the lottery scheme, I'm assuming the photos are scanned by a computer in the first instance.
Old Oct 21st 2023, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichMitch
Thank you.

Yes from what I can tell, there are some free bits and pieces of photograph software available which frame the photos for you to 2 inch * 2 inch and adjust their pixels.

I was hoping we could get away with just taking photos of the kids ourselves with our phones just really looking to try and make sure they are acceptable standard.
Thats exactly what we did for our immigrant visa apps, and O visa apps. Photo against a wall on iPhone, free app to check the quality and adjust it to the right size, download and print on photo paper. Worked fine both times for us.
Old Nov 7th 2023, 6:13 am
Just Joined

cassie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping to apply for the DV-2025 from the UK. The photograph side of things seems to be a bit complicated. Just wondering, would anyone know what the best solution is for taking acceptable photographs of children (all under 9 yrs old) at all please?

From what I can tell, the main stipulations are that they are in front of a white background and their heads/shoulders take up about 75% of the photo.
Hello,

We have just been approved for our L1 & L2 visas so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this one. Standard passport photos (UK) don’t meet the requirements as the photo the US require is a different size to the standard UK passport photo. We used Timpson for all of our photos as we didn’t want to risk it not being correct. They will give you a print out copy and also send a copy to your email which you can then easily use with your application. If you just let them know it’s for a US visa they will do the rest. From memory it was £11 each, including the children.

Good luck!
Old Nov 7th 2023, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cassie7
Hello,

We have just been approved for our L1 & L2 visas so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this one. Standard passport photos (UK) don’t meet the requirements as the photo the US require is a different size to the standard UK passport photo. We used Timpson for all of our photos as we didn’t want to risk it not being correct. They will give you a print out copy and also send a copy to your email which you can then easily use with your application. If you just let them know it’s for a US visa they will do the rest. From memory it was £11 each, including the children.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks so much for your advice, really appreciate it. Yes I took a good look at the specifications for the photographs and decided to just get all of the photos taken professionally in town where I live.

I'm not sure what the odds are on being successful in the greencard lottery (slim to none I'm guessing) so I'm thinking it might be best to try looking at other routes to work and live in the USA!
Old Nov 13th 2023, 2:17 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Given the huge number of applicants for the lottery scheme, I'm assuming the photos are scanned by a computer in the first instance.
We used an iphone passport photo app.
Photos taken against a white background.
Corrected for US passport dimensions along with guidance on requirements specific to the US.

Then sent electronically to Walgreens for printing.
Very easy, under $1.

Old Nov 13th 2023, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by excpomea
We used an iphone passport photo app.
Photos taken against a white background.
Corrected for US passport dimensions along with guidance on requirements specific to the US.

Then sent electronically to Walgreens for printing.
Very easy, under $1.
Thanks very much for the advice, really appreciate it. I read a lot of stories online about strict regulations on the photos so just wanted to make sure we didn't get it wrong etc.

That's terrific to be able to get the photos for not even a dollar each
Old Jan 25th 2024, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

richfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Keen to hear from anyone who’s going through this process.

I researched it about 12 years ago and we obviously weren’t eligible back then.

Recently found out we are now on it, but missed the boat for DV2025.

Hoping the UK stays on the list so I can enter later this year for DV2026..!!
Old Jan 25th 2024, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

BritSimon on YouTube has a channel that's all about the DV lottery. He's a British guy that won it through a Spanish wife's eligibility. There is a lot of math involved with the selection/region of the process to it. It's not just a simple draw out of everybody's entry form.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

richfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond reputerichfoz84 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thank you I’ll look him up on YouTube 💪🏼
Old Jan 30th 2024, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware even if you are selected you are not guaranteed a Green Card. There is a hard limit of GCs available and a hard deadline for processing all the paperwork and having your interview. They select more than there are GCs knowing some selectees never take it further, didn’t qualify to begin with, have left this mortal coil, can’t afford the processing fees which can be many thousands for a small family plus health screening costs, etc etc. A high DV selectee number will have you chewing your fingernails as you scan the monthly Immigration Bulletins looking to see when your number is called for processing, then again while you wait for your interview date. Been there done that! If you want to come to the U.S. definitely do it, you have nothing to lose and if you are successful, bam GC straight away. Good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2024, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Pierre_Tete is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I never. As the State department says on its bulletin the DV is for 'diversity immigrants' from countries with 'historically low rates of immigration to the US'. How far back in history does that go? Made me chuckle - how times have changed.

Still, Brexit Britain, or the <snip> that is the current USA.... difficult choice. I was hoping to go home one day. Please tell me it isn't that bad.....?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 31st 2024 at 9:21 pm. Reason: Putting a star in it doesn't make it ok!
Old Jan 31st 2024, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pierre_Tete
Well I never. As the State department says on its bulletin the DV is for 'diversity immigrants' from countries with 'historically low rates of immigration to the US'. How far back in history does that go? Made me chuckle - how times have changed.
It's only because of Covid, when there was essentially a ban on most people getting visas for a couple of years, that dragged the average down and meant the UK qualified for a change. It's the previous 5 years that count for the DV - https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html
Old Feb 1st 2024, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's only because of Covid, when there was essentially a ban on most people getting visas for a couple of years, that dragged the average down and meant the UK qualified for a change. It's the previous 5 years that count for the DV - https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html
Then the UK might be eligible for the next couple of years?? Have to wait and see.
Old Feb 1st 2024, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=jkeller;13238245]Then the UK might be eligible for the next couple of years?? Have to wait and see.[/QUOTE

Here’s hoping!