Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

Old Sep 29th 2023, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

In case anybody finds this useful, probably for one year only anybody born in the UK is eligible to enter the diversity visa lottery for the next fiscal year!

Entries open from October 4th to November 7th.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...structions.pdf
Old Sep 30th 2023, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DV-2025 is open to anybody born in the UK!

Covid effect over the last couple of years I'm guessing. When was the last time all of the UK was eligible?
Old Sep 30th 2023, 7:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
Covid effect over the last couple of years I'm guessing. When was the last time all of the UK was eligible?
Never. The UK (excl NI) is one of a handful of countries that has never previously been eligible for the DV lottery.

I can't find the table showing the history of other ineligible countries, but from memory, aside from Canada, the other countries with little or no history of DV eligibility include Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Russia, and Indonesia, which all have populations that are considerably greater than that of the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2023 at 8:08 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 11:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
In case anybody finds this useful, probably for one year only anybody born in the UK is eligible to enter the diversity visa lottery for the next fiscal year!

Entries open from October 4th to November 7th.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...structions.pdf
Not exactly, they still need to meet the other criteria like education and not be ineligible for some other reason, even if they could qualify for a waive for criminal past etc they would be unlikely to get it in time given the way the process works.

I entered as a EU citizen for a number of years and the odds there were not as good as Oceana etc, but still worth a shot for eligible people of UK …

basically the smaller the country the better your chances, so UK having a larger population won’t help… so FL could see up to another 3,500 residents in 2026 based on the below.. I forget the process but recall it takes more than a year…

All applicants are selected randomly as a whole, for the number of visas allocated for that region, but with the limitation that no single country may receive more than 7% of the total diversity visas. That is the maximum number of applicants per country that can get a green visa is not more than 3,500.”
Old Oct 1st 2023, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
....basically the smaller the country the better your chances, so UK having a larger population won’t help… so FL could see up to another 3,500 residents in 2026 based on the below.. I forget the process but recall it takes more than a year…
It doesn't work like that.

To get those numbers over half a million would need to apply, which is unlikely.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 1:09 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
It doesn't work like that.

To get those numbers over half a million would need to apply, which is unlikely.
what is “that” it’s a random lottery, with a cap per region and then a max cap per country inside each region. I have not run the numbers since I be came ineligible to enter over 10 years ago…

it will only take a few ticktocks or a sensationalized Daily Mail story and you could see millions of entires…

Last edited by tht; Oct 1st 2023 at 1:25 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
.... it will only take a few ticktocks or a sensationalized Daily Mail story and you could see millions of entries.
I was going to say the same thing, that it would only take a report in the Daily Mail for the number of applications in the UK to explode. I personally doubt it would reach "millions", but I could see it reaching several hundred thousands.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 3:17 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was going to say the same thing, that it would only take a report in the Daily Mail for the number of applications in the UK to explode. I personally doubt it would reach "millions", but I could see it reaching several hundred thousands.
The reason the Oceana ones have such good odds is that it would not make much sense to move here. Probably equally or better lifestyle.. and same with European ones, not the same economic drive to come here as many countries… but with the Brexit decline and it likely being the only or 1 of 2 years ever (baring another lock down or rule change), I could see a large number of a certain demographic entering…
Old Oct 1st 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by tht
The reason the Oceana ones have such good odds is that it would not make much sense to move here. Probably equally or better lifestyle.. and same with European ones, not the same economic drive to come here as many countries… but with the Brexit decline and it likely being the only or 1 of 2 years ever (baring another lock down or rule change), …
Agreed, I'm expecting eligibility to last for (only) one more year.
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Hope for Andrew Peterson...
Old Oct 20th 2023, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

RichMitch is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping to apply for the DV-2025 from the UK. The photograph side of things seems to be a bit complicated. Just wondering, would anyone know what the best solution is for taking acceptable photographs of children (all under 9 yrs old) at all please?

From what I can tell, the main stipulations are that they are in front of a white background and their heads/shoulders take up about 75% of the photo.
Old Oct 20th 2023, 2:00 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Get standard passport photos?
Old Oct 20th 2023, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

RichMitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, yes that's probably best. I think also there are regulations about the dimensions of the photo and that they must be 600 pixels x 600 pixels.
Old Oct 20th 2023, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichMitch
Thanks, yes that's probably best. I think also there are regulations about the dimensions of the photo and that they must be 600 pixels x 600 pixels.
For my US docs I paid a professional photographer. Was cheap, few hundred bucks. Suggest the same for you, took all the worry out.
Old Oct 20th 2023, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichMitch
If you can get a digital copy of the correctly framed photos, you can simply edit it down to 600x600

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.