British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   DV 2012 lottery results annulled (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/dv-2012-lottery-results-annulled-716897/)

Rearviewmirror May 13th 2011 4:15 pm

DV 2012 lottery results annulled

Originally Posted by dvlottery.state.gov
**IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE 2012 DIVERSITY LOTTERY PROGRAM**

We regret to inform you that, due to a computer programming problem, the results of the 2012 Diversity Lottery that were previously posted on this website have been voided. They were not valid and were posted in error. The results were not valid because they did not represent a fair, random selection of entrants, as required by U.S. law.

If you checked this website during the first week in May and found a notice that you had been selected for further processing or a notice that you had not been selected, that notice has been rescinded and is no longer valid.

A new selection process will be conducted based on the original entries for the 2012 program.

If you submitted a qualified entry from October 5, 2010 to November 3, 2010, your entry remains with us. It will be included in the new selection lottery. Your confirmation number to check results on this website is still valid.

We expect the results of the new selection process to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

We regret any inconvenience this might have caused.

Click here to view a message from David T. Donahue, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=942119090001

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why was it necessary to invalidate the names that were selected?

U.S. law requires that Diversity Immigrant visas be made available through a strictly random process. A computer programming error resulted in a selection that was not truly random.

Since the computer programming error caused an outcome that was not random, the outcome did not meet the requirements of the law, and would have been unfair to many DV entrants.

Q: Is the 2012 Diversity Visa Program cancelled?

No. The 2012 program will continue. The computer programming error has been identified and corrected. The Department of State will run a new selection using all the qualified entries (ones received between October 5, 2010 and November 3, 2010) it received for the 2012 program.

Q: Do I have to submit a new application?

No. You may not submit a new application. We will use all qualified entries received during the October 5 to November 3, 2010 registration period.

Q: Will you open a new entry period?

New entries will not be accepted.

Q: I checked the Entry Status Check website after May 1 and it said I had been selected. Can I apply for a DV visa?

Unfortunately results previously posted on this website were not valid because the selection process was not fair or random. We will take the entries of all individuals who sent in their registration during the original October 5 to November 3, 2010 time period and run a new lottery. We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this has caused. We expect new results to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

Q: How can I check the results of the new selection?

The new results should be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011. The confirmation code you received when you registered is still valid for use on the website.

Q: Was the Department of State hacked? Was my personal information at risk?

We have no evidence that this problem was caused by any intentional act. No unauthorized party accessed data related to the DV program.

This appears to be solely the result of a computer programming error.

Can't quite believe this is happening myself. Well there go my hopes of a green card.

meauxna May 13th 2011 6:13 pm

Re: DV 2012 lottery results annulled

Link to source message from Dept of State:
http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/esc

How can I check the results of the new selection?

* The new results should be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011. The confirmation code you received when you registered is still valid for use on the website.

astor May 13th 2011 6:29 pm

You may not agree with me-specially if you had been selected, but;
They could have been quite and not cancel, but this is the American way, it's gotta be fair no matter, congratulations and thanks being fair and square!!!

shorrock May 19th 2011 5:58 pm

If anybody was selected the first time and was selected again. I would recommend they buy a lotto ticket.

Good look and I hope it all works out in the end.

I know if I was selected I'd be disapointed now.

mine May 19th 2011 6:07 pm

i must say im gutted!!!!! :(: i had taken passports cost me £21 sent off for police stuff £35 :( i sent off forms to the US on the 10th of May cost me £10 :(:frown::rolleyes: and had also booked medical £210 have not paid for that sooooo... im lucky but im still gutted though
i wonder what the odds of being selected AGAIN ARE :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Rete May 19th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rearviewmirror (Post 9362426)
Can't quite believe this is happening myself. Well there go my hopes of a green card.

WOW, why so negative? Your entry is still in the queue for choosing. You have as much chance now as you had before.

Why does everyone want to come to the US so badly?

Rearviewmirror May 19th 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9375460)
WOW, why so negative? Your entry is still in the queue for choosing. You have as much chance now as you had before.

There's a pretty big difference between being already chosen and going back to having a small chance out of 19 million applicants!

I want to go there for work, because Washington DC is the absolute center of what I do.

fatbrit May 19th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rearviewmirror (Post 9375481)
I want to go there for work, because Washington DC is the absolute center of what I do.

Plumber?

Rearviewmirror May 19th 2011 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9375485)
Plumber?

Close :) International development/foreign policy.

Ray May 19th 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9375485)
Plumber?

intern shagger

Rete May 19th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rearviewmirror (Post 9375503)
Close :) International development/foreign policy.

For which country?

lifehouse51 May 20th 2011 12:59 am

There's no good way around the situation for the Dept of State. If they realized that it was an unfair selection and not reported it, and the cover up was discovered later, it would be a public relations disaster. I guess my question will be: Considering the lottery has been around for years and not many changes were introduced for the selection algorithm, was this a glitch that was introduced in this year's lottery only, or has it been there in previous years as well? (If the later is true, we all know what the implications will be!!)

Anyways, I previously shredded the paper with my confirmation number, it was nice that they sent the email with a link to reprint the number. I thought I was out of luck for the new lottery even up to yesterday (Without the confirmation number, there'll be no way to check your selection status)

snowbunny May 20th 2011 6:12 pm

If the chosen entry was given a boost because the OP applied in the first two days, then indeed there's less a chance now.

I continue to be amazed that computer programs work as well as they do, given the continued decimation of programming as a profession.

Not everyone wants to come badly - especially not Europeans. But if they do - for work, for family - this is an easier way than being sponsored.

hobbes79 May 20th 2011 6:21 pm

This is a US immigration forum... ;)