Wikiposts

Dulles Airport - I-551

Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Dulles Airport - I-551

I know there is a site somewhere for POE, but I can't find it.
Does anyone know whether Washington stamps the I-551 in passports on arrival, or have any recent experiences.
Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dulles Airport - I-551

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
I know there is a site somewhere for POE, but I can't find it.
Does anyone know whether Washington stamps the I-551 in passports on arrival, or have any recent experiences.
Thanks
If the airport accepts international flights they will process through secondary inspection and give you and Kate your I-551s. It is the EAD that is difficult to obtain. Have the address where you will be living handy to verify where the green card should be mailed.

Rete
Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Thanks Rete,
Embarrased to ask but what do I say
"Excuse me Mr Immigration Geezer, can I have an EAD please ?"
Old Aug 19th 2002, 10:33 am
Bastian Freitag

> I know there is a site somewhere for POE, but I can't find it.

http://www.k1poelist.com/

Good luck Roger.

Bastian

Old Aug 19th 2002, 10:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
Thanks Rete,
Embarrased to ask but what do I say
"Excuse me Mr Immigration Geezer, can I have an EAD please ?"
hehehehe you're high on life right sidekick?

You don't need an EAD. You enter the US as a permanent resident and the I-551 is your temporary green card until the real is mailed to you. That I-551 gives you all the privileges and responsibilities of the actual card, even the right to work and apply for a social security card and to hop a plane outside of the US without worrying about being allowed back in.

Rete
Old Aug 19th 2002, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you both

Sidekick Rog
Old Aug 20th 2002, 4:06 am
L D Jones

rogerpenycate wrote:
    > I know there is a site somewhere for POE, but I can't find it. Does anyone know
    > whether Washington stamps the I-551 in passports on arrival, or have any recent
    > experiences. Thanks

If they accept international flights they have to be able to give you the I-551
stamp. My guess is you will arrive at Dulles or BWI since National airport in DC
doesn't do international flights AFAIK.

No EAD required. Go to the nearest Social Security office with your stamp, fill in a
form and you should have an SSN within a few days (you can call their freephone
number to get it, the actual card will arrive later). They may have to "check with
INS" but my wife had an SSN less than a week after arrival in the US after I-130 DCF
in London. Her conditional GC arrived a couple of months later.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete:
If the airport accepts international flights they will process through secondary inspection and give you and Kate your I-551s. It is the EAD that is difficult to obtain. Have the address where you will be living handy to verify where the green card should be mailed.Rete
OK, I have one of those questions that I can't be bothered to look up....which line does the immigrant spouse use upon first arrival to the US with the MBE in order to receive the I-551? And can the USC spouse go through to secondary with them?
Old Aug 21st 2002, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future

I was told by INS in Atlanta that Paula would go through the "foriegner" line upon arrival then be taken to the secondary immigration office. As for the USC going with, I'm clueless.....
Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by meauxna:

OK, I have one of those questions that I can't be bothered to look up....which line does the immigrant spouse use upon first arrival to the US with the MBE in order to receive the I-551? And can the USC spouse go through to secondary with them?
Although this was before I got my visa, but whenever we travelled back and forth between US and UK together, I went through the "foreign section" and Ida through the "US" section, and visa versa when we landed in the UK.
I would assume it's the same, although Ida's already there
and therefore wont be going into the Immigration office, and
therfore (just an assumnption) your US partner won't have to
even if you are travelling together.

Have a look on the POE site, there should be experiences on there. (Rete posted it yesterday)
And then of course when you get to the US, don't forget to post your experience, for others to follow ;o)
Old Aug 21st 2002, 3:50 am
Sthrnshrte

>I was told by INS in Atlanta that Paula would go through the "foriegner" line upon
    >arrival then be taken to the secondary immigration office. As for the USC going
    >with, I'm clueless.....

When my husband and I traveled back and forth together, we would go through the same
line, always the "foreign" one. In the US, families go together so we went at the
same time, never any problems. In the UK, Pete would go through the line in front of
me, explaining he's just there to queue with his wife who is a USC, and the officer
would then ask me to come up to the podium/desk. In fact, the officers always seemed
friendlier and more at ease when we go together.

Ash

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:02 am
L D Jones

meauxna wrote:
    > Originally posted by Rete:
    > > If the airport accepts international flights they will process through secondary
    > > inspection and give you and Kate your I-551s. It is the EAD that is difficult to
    > > obtain. Have the address where you will be living handy to verify where the
    > > green card should be mailed.Rete
    > OK, I have one of those questions that I can't be bothered to look up....which line
    > does the immigrant spouse use upon first arrival to the US with the MBE in order to
    > receive the I-551? And can the USC spouse go through to secondary with them?

MBE?

I asked when we arrived at Newark airport via DCF in London, UK in March 2002 and was
told my wife could go to the 'US citizens and permanent residents' line (though I got
the impression the person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I guess
all he heard was the word "visa" but I cannot remember exactly what I asked him).

We both went to secondary inspection too and no one said a word. I simply waited in
the room with her and her passport was stamped and her fingerprint taken a few
minutes after we arrived in the room. We were lucky in that we landed at about 3 in
the afternoon and the immigration areas were not crowded. There were about 4 other
people in secondary inspection (and they had chairs to hold at least 25). One officer
was asking a person why he stayed 2 days over the allowed WVP 90 day limit the last
time the person had entered the US (the conversation was so loud it was easy to
overhear).

We had a connecting flight and made it with plenty of time.

LD