Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual US UK citizen entering US on expired passport?

Dual US UK citizen entering US on expired passport?

Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US UK citizen entering US on expired passport?

Originally Posted by newacct
Second, if the airline sees the place of birth in his British passport as the US, they might start asking questions about his US citizenship and why he isn't presenting a US passport.
I don’t know how much attention the airline check in staff pay to the place of birth on a passport or whether they are well-versed in the concept of jus Solis (since this does not apply in the UK anymore) but I would certainly be worried about CBP seeing a British passport with a place of birth in the US. They would know with 99.999% certainty that the holder is therefore a USC as the exceptions to the rule are so specific and narrow that they apply to only a few people.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
It did happen, though. Many people who travelled overseas by air in the last two years were denied entry (albeit temporarily) because they tested positive for COVID before their return. A co-worker found themselves in that situation in Greece. It does seem to me that this is unconstitutional and I wonder if it was ever challenged on that basis.
But arguably that was denial of boarding, not denial of entry. A US citizen who somehow made it to a US port of entry (either entering by land, or entering by air if the airline mistakenly let them on) would still be let in. Anyway, the testing requirement is gone, so this is moot now.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
I don’t know how much attention the airline check in staff pay to the place of birth on a passport or whether they are well-versed in the concept of jus Solis (since this does not apply in the UK anymore) but I would certainly be worried about CBP seeing a British passport with a place of birth in the US. They would know with 99.999% certainty that the holder is therefore a USC as the exceptions to the rule are so specific and narrow that they apply to only a few people.
But if they were a US citizen, they can't be denied entry either. So either way, they should be let in if they make it to the CBP.