Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship, Naturalization and all that

Dual Citizenship, Naturalization and all that

Old May 2nd 2014, 11:24 pm
Codename:ID10t

DJElectricDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship, Naturalization and all that

Been in the US for almost 20 years. Never once considered becoming naturalised. Mostly as I still identify as being a Brit, or more specifically a Londoner. I really don’t identify with being American even though I lived worked and raised a family here for so long.

What is the benefit to becoming a citizen? I still want to keep my British passport, for reasons stated above more than any practical ones. Rarely travel overseas, but if I did I would want to travel on a British passport.

Regarding my son, we just got him his first US passport. Can I still get him a UK passport? Can he be dual citizenship? Is there any limitation or expiration on that?

Are there any pitfalls or downside to naturalisation or dual citizenship?

Cheers
Adam
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship, Naturalization and all that

I'm an American citizen but I don't identify in the slightest with being American.
Can be a handy thing to have though. Gives enormous flexibility on where you can live and who's got your back if consular support is needed.

Downside, liability for taxes forever more.

I think there's a thread or two, or faq, on the pros and cons lying about somewhere.

Here it is,,,
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...US_Citizenship
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:21 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If you have been almost 20 years, I guess your green card is up for renewal. An extra $200 gets you lifetime membership of USA, vs 10 year subscription.

You don't give up any British-ness. In my opinion it is purely a financial decision.
The tax implications are minimal unless you are loaded.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:38 am

Hotscot
thanks for the link. As far as I know I’m already liable for taxes forever more. One of the two unavoidables Are you suggesting I’m liable for two lots of taxes for both countries? I haven’t paid a penny to Her Majesty since I left….?

RICH
My permanent residence is up for renewal in 2019. When I first moved here the Govt was bankrupt so it took them over three years to get my final alien card. In my opinion though the passport is everything to my Britishness. It says to whomever needs to see it who and what I am. Its just a piece of paper but for some reason it feels much more than that.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Just mentioning that you'll always have to do a US tax return and report certain savings/investments if you're over a threshold even if you're living in the UK.

Passport...you'll be able to keep both US and UK.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by hotscot
Just mentioning that you'll always have to do a US tax return and report certain savings/investments if you're over a threshold even if you're living in the UK.

Passport...you'll be able to keep both US and UK.
Oh thats right, we dont ‘file’ our taxes in the UK. Been so long I forgot that

I can keep both passports?? I did not know that. Is there a specific type of application one needs to do, I mean do I have to ask or declare to keep it. Would that give me dual citizenship?

Cheers
AdamM
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:55 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest reason for getting US Citizenship was to give myself the option to return to UK for a long time (ageing UK parent issues imminent) , and still have the option to return to US permanently, later.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by RICH
My biggest reason for getting US Citizenship was to give myself the option to return to UK for a long time (ageing UK parent issues imminent) , and still have the option to return to US permanently, later.
Yeah, I understand. The older we get the more we have to face those kinds of problems. My gran died a few years back and I felt terrible for not being there. I think about my parents getting old and what I’ll have to do come the time.

So to your comment, how long is a long time? If my alien card is good for 10 years am I not allowed to leave for that long? Is there a limitation to how long an alien can be out of the country? I can see that being a big problem indeed.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:17 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by DJElectricDaddy
Yeah, I understand. The older we get the more we have to face those kinds of problems. My gran died a few years back and I felt terrible for not being there. I think about my parents getting old and what I’ll have to do come the time.

So to your comment, how long is a long time? If my alien card is good for 10 years am I not allowed to leave for that long? Is there a limitation to how long an alien can be out of the country? I can see that being a big problem indeed.
It is a Permanent Resident card. It is only valid as long as you are Permanently Resident. The question is, when do you stop being a Permanent Resident. A max of year away is the rule of thumb, but it is arguable. I chose to not take chances. As a dual citizen I can come and go for as long as I want, for the rest of my life.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:28 am

RICH
Geez I had no idea. Thanks. I’ll look closely into this once it becomes necessary, but at least I know it’s there now

Just read up on the Wiki page. Geez I had no idea the draft was still on the books. Even if my boy is living in the UK for the next ten years he’d still get the call.

And the tax liability for overseas yanks is mental. Even if my family moves back to the UK my wife would have to pay US taxes on top of the UK taxes. Rich said this doesnt apply unless you are loaded, so likely it would not affect us. And its probably there to disuade wealthy individuals making money they don’t declare to local govt’s.

There was a lot made of US companies (Starbucks, Amazon…) not paying UK taxes on business conducted there. I wonder if there is a corporate tax law that forces them to pay US taxes on their income. Although corporate tax attorneys can always find their little loopholes.
Old May 3rd 2014, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can keep both passports?? I did not know that. Is there a specific type of application one needs to do, I mean do I have to ask or declare to keep it. Would that give me dual citizenship?

Cheers
AdamM
Yup, you don't have to do a thing. Becoming a US citizen doesn't mean you stop being a UK citizen. Then you can come and go quite easily if you wish.
Old May 3rd 2014, 2:56 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

There was a lot made of US companies (Starbucks, Amazon…) not paying UK taxes on business conducted there. I wonder if there is a corporate tax law that forces them to pay US taxes on their income. Although corporate tax attorneys can always find their little loopholes.
FYI - US corporation tax is one of the highest in the western world. Thus, companies do all they can to keep their money OUTSIDE of the United States, and thus the reach of the IRS.
Old May 3rd 2014, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

Been in the US for almost 20 years. Never once considered becoming naturalised. Mostly as I still identify as being a Brit, or more specifically a Londoner. I really don’t identify with being American even though I lived worked and raised a family here for so long.

What is the benefit to becoming a citizen? I still want to keep my British passport, for reasons stated above more than any practical ones. Rarely travel overseas, but if I did I would want to travel on a British passport.

Regarding my son, we just got him his first US passport. Can I still get him a UK passport? Can he be dual citizenship? Is there any limitation or expiration on that?

Are there any pitfalls or downside to naturalisation or dual citizenship?

Cheers
Adam
Your question brought to light some very interesting points.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:55 am

Cheers vulcan, that’s me…always thinking, wondering, getting confused :?
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by hotscot
Yup, you don't have to do a thing. Becoming a US citizen doesn't mean you stop being a UK citizen. Then you can come and go quite easily if you wish.
Cheers hotscot, very interesting. Glad I asked, and glad I got answers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.