British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Dual citizen—-Problems renewing British passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/dual-citizen%E2%80%94-problems-renewing-british-passport-942226/)

Drobin07 Jan 6th 2022 2:24 pm

Dual citizen—-Problems renewing British passport

I just sent my UK passport to Durham for renewal, along with a copy of my US passport. They just emailed to say the renewal has been rejected because my US passport has forenames David John, while my UK passport has David John Martin. In fact all my US documents including my citizenship certificate are I the names David John, because the application forms typically ask for first and middle name, and I. never thought to put two names in that spot.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do about it? The rejection email from Durham told me I need to get my US passport changed, but I am very reluctant to do this, since it means seven to eight weeks without any passport at all and even then may be complicated since my citizenship papers etc etc are all in the name David John. Any advice very welcome!

David

lizzyq Jan 6th 2022 3:06 pm

Re: Dual citizen—-Problems renewing British passport

Deed poll changing your name to David John Surname?

tht Jan 6th 2022 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Drobin07 (Post 13086544)
I just sent my UK passport to Durham for renewal, along with a copy of my US passport. They just emailed to say the renewal has been rejected because my US passport has forenames David John, while my UK passport has David John Martin. In fact all my US documents including my citizenship certificate are I the names David John, because the application forms typically ask for first and middle name, and I. never thought to put two names in that spot.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do about it? The rejection email from Durham told me I need to get my US passport changed, but I am very reluctant to do this, since it means seven to eight weeks without any passport at all and even then may be complicated since my citizenship papers etc etc are all in the name David John. Any advice very welcome!

David

What names are on your N400? You would probably have to do an N565 to change your name before you could get a US passport in a new name.

lizzyq Jan 6th 2022 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 13086546)
Deed poll changing your name to David John Surname?

And then reapply for UK passport with documented name change. Essentially you need to decide which nationality document is easiest to change.

Drobin07 Jan 6th 2022 6:14 pm

Just David John, since the N400 specifically asks for middle name (singular). I’ll look at the N565 process, but I’m actually wondering if it wouldn’t just be simpler to forget about my UK passport and just use my US one.

Mercury39 Jan 8th 2022 12:24 pm

i cannot offer any help to the OP, but for anyone else who lands on this thread in the future i have the same as the OP as i have two middle names. i have always entered both middle names on forms, even when the box says 'middle name' singular. i just checked my n400 form and I used both and now naturalization certificate and password do have both middle names on them as a result.

I do feel for the OP, US forms are not designed for those of us blessed with more than one middle name!

Nutmegger Jan 8th 2022 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mercury39 (Post 13086906)
i cannot offer any help to the OP, but for anyone else who lands on this thread in the future i have the same as the OP as i have two middle names. i have always entered both middle names on forms, even when the box says 'middle name' singular. i just checked my n400 form and I used both and now naturalization certificate and password do have both middle names on them as a result.

I do feel for the OP, US forms are not designed for those of us blessed with more than one middle name!

Or those of us who use first initial, middle name!

kimilseung Jan 8th 2022 5:31 pm

Change the UK names?
I thought UK just required documents showing that you habitually used the name that you want in the passport.
This is my recollection when I added a middle name, because everything in the USA asks about middle name, and I wanted everything to match. I might be misremembering the ease.

kimilseung Jan 8th 2022 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 13086957)
Change the UK names?
I thought UK just required documents showing that you habitually used the name that you want in the passport.
This is my recollection when I added a middle name, because everything in the USA asks about middle name, and I wanted everything to match. I might be misremembering the ease.

I dont know if this helps

• remove middle names

You can probably use the US passport as one of the documents required for the change (no deed poll needed)
https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport...orenames-title

S Folinsky Jan 8th 2022 9:34 pm

FWIW, it is possible to change one’s name before a US court. See this California procedure. I believe other states have similar procedures.

Drobin07 Jan 10th 2022 6:55 pm

Thanks, this looks very helpful!

durhamlad Jan 20th 2022 7:30 pm

Can I just ask what service you used to send you documents and UK passport to Durham and do you know if you can send two applications in one package. eg me and my wife. Thanks David

Drobin07 Jan 20th 2022 7:42 pm

Happy ending—HMPO agreed to drop my second middle name, and I now have my new passport (superfast, all things considered). I just needed to send them copies of two docs showing I don’t use my second middle name in the US (US driving license and citizenship papers did the trick).

This is obviously the way to go for anyone who finds themselves in the same position as me—many thanks to everyone for their comments/ideas especially kimilseung!

Drobin07 Jan 20th 2022 7:48 pm

Hi David, I sent the docs by 2 day UPS—very expensive ($89) but they did get there on time and tracking was excellent. I’m afraid I don’t know if you can send two in one package.

durhamlad Mar 7th 2022 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Drobin07 (Post 13089261)
Hi David, I sent the docs by 2 day UPS—very expensive ($89) but they did get there on time and tracking was excellent. I’m afraid I don’t know if you can send two in one package.

Well finally received our new UK passports. Checked we could send everything for me and my wife in one envelope from Oz and got the OK so only one envelope to post. Applying on line was very easy and even uploading the photos was easy, and the software the UK Passport Office use to check the photographs were suitable worked very well. So everything worked and we have the new passports.