DS230 and Original docs?

Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS230 and Original docs?

Hello everybody,

Do I need to send original civil docs such as birth certificate for each of my parents and mine and my parents marriage certificate? Why do they need the originals?

Are there anyway that I can mail copies, maybe certified? What happens if I do not mail original docs?
My father was born in one of the USSR Republic that does not exsit anymore. There is no way that he can obtain a copy of his bith certificate.

So far, I mailed notarazied docs translated into English. But I was asked to mail originals in Russian docs.

Thanks,

Samal
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS230 and Original docs?

Originally Posted by samal1485
Hello everybody,

Do I need to send original civil docs such as birth certificate for each of my parents and mine and my parents marriage certificate? Why do they need the originals?

Are there anyway that I can mail copies, maybe certified? What happens if I do not mail original docs?
My father was born in one of the USSR Republic that does not exsit anymore. There is no way that he can obtain a copy of his bith certificate.

So far, I mailed notarazied docs translated into English. But I was asked to mail originals in Russian docs.

Thanks,

Samal
If you are talking about the NVC step where you send original civil documents, then yes, they need to be originals.

It seems you have already tried sending copies, and NVC said no, we need the originals. So, you need to send the originals. They will return the originals to your parents at their visa interview.

Of course you should keep a photocopy of everything you send to NVC.

As for WHY they need originals...I don't know...but they do.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene!

Rene, do you know if I have to sumbit 2 copies of my marriage certificate or just one. I submitted DS 230 for both of my parents.

Thanks,

Samal
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samal1485
Thank you Rene!

Rene, do you know if I have to sumbit 2 copies of my marriage certificate or just one. I submitted DS 230 for both of my parents.

Thanks,

Samal
I don't know for sure, but since there are two I-130's in the system, I'd say submit one original for each parent, just to be on the safe side.

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!
Samal