Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DS160 declaring speeding convictions

DS160 declaring speeding convictions

Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:59 am
Just Joined

LeroyJenkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS160 declaring speeding convictions

I wonder if you guys can help me?

I'm in the process of filling in the DS160 form in order to get a L1A & L2 (Spousal visa) as part of a L1A visa.

Should I declare speeding offences on this form (I have active points my wife has points that are now "retired" in the eyes of the DVLA). These are standard SP30 offences (35mph in a 30 zone etc) and were dealt with via a fixed penalty fine and at no stage was there any arrest or caution etc.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS160 declaring speeding convictions

I have 3 points too for 90mph in a 70mph from about a year ago - I got 3 points and a £100 fine (all done via postal, sending a cheque and sending my license etc) so I don't believe there was any actual conviction or even caution? Someone with way more knowledge will answer it better than me though!
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

I believe the question asked on the form is "have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime".

You have not been arrested, you have been served a fixed penalty notice. A fixed penalty notice is not a criminal matter. If you had been drunk, doing 100mph, that's a matter for the courts and your answer would be different.

The only people who would get excited about the points is your car insurance company and once they've expired it's no longer an issue at all.

Last edited by carlrush; Aug 5th 2016 at 10:20 am.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 11:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeroyJenkins
Should I declare speeding offences on this form...
No. From a US point of view, these are considered "moving violations" and are about as minor as things get.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2016, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not surprised as speeding tickets are far more common in the US. California has 25million drivers and issues 6 million tickets a year. In the UK it's 30 million drivers and 115,000 speeding tickets!

Perhaps it's linked to the higher fines in the US and the fact that the cash goes back in to the State/County fund. A lot more patrol cars out with radar guns etc. (In the UK fines are kept by Treasury, not the agency that enforces. ).

Either way, as Ian says, no need to worry.