Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-260 & Affidavit of Support fees

DS-260 & Affidavit of Support fees

Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute
Default DS-260 & Affidavit of Support fees

Hi,
My brother decided to start process of submitting form DS-260. His immigrant visa petition was approved and now he has to pay fees and complete Immigrant Visa (IV) application.
However, there is something that surprised me. When I sent his application many years ago, I paid all necessary fees and submitted Affidavit of Support. Turns out I have to pay $120 fee and submit Affidavit of Support again.I can understand that they need most recent financial status, but seriously what is the point of submitting Affidavit of Support for the first time.
In addition, payment options are limited and using US bank and checking account is preferable. in fact there are no other payment options available on that site. I wonder how other people that need to submit DS-260 are paying their fees when they do not have US bank account?
Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 12:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-260 & Affidavit of Support fees

Re the Affidavit of Support, that is not something required at the time of submitting the I-130, so if you did, it was ignored. The Affidavit of Support is due now.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 12:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no requirement and no point when you could be waiting for 20 years for a petition to be current.

If you are sponsoring someone, a family reunification visa, then seems reasonable that they would have a US Bank Account.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is no requirement and no point when you could be waiting for 20 years for a petition to be current.
OP says he sent the application “many years ago” so presumably that’s the case now.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 12:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So you are saying you do not have a US bank account or credit card? How? Where do you live?

If you don't live in the US now, your petition is not valid.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I got mixed up something with Affidavit of Support. The application was sumbitted over 13 years ago.and I remember there was a question about financial status. I will have to dig out original documentation.
Regardless of that, it is my brother who must complete DS-260. He wants to pay fees too, but he cannot do it. He will have to provide US bank routing number and checking account number. This is a bit inconvenient for both of us. I will have to pay using my account and he will have to transfer money to me somehow. No an easy thing as you may think.

There are many people around the world that fill up DS-260 online and they have to pay fees too. So how they pay for it, if they do not have US bank account?
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you could notw pay using a Credit Card?
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
So you are saying you do not have a US bank account or credit card? How? Where do you live?

why would his petition be invalid? I submit it might be helpful to people not to post misinformation.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me - I was thinking that a petitioner would need to be IN the US in order for the beneficiary to receive the visa.

Apparently this is not the case.

i submit to you. Again. That it is more helpful to actually correct the damn mistake rather than just pointing it out and carrying on your way.

The term ‘pissing into the wind’ comes to mind.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant

How did you come to this conclusion? I do have US bank account. It is my brother, who lives abroad that does not have one. I searched USCIS site for some info and there is an answer in FAQ section that payment fees must be drawn to US bank account. The site that is given for completing online form DS-260 is not allowing any other form of payment except making payment from US bank account.

Last edited by talkto_menow; Apr 22nd 2020 at 6:29 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 7:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If that's the case, you might have to give him your account information. He can pay you back after he gets to the USA.

Rene