DS-2001 Date of Travel

Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

jloto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-2001 Date of Travel

Hi,

Quick question about the cover letter for the DS-2001 form.

I have all my docs and am ready to send it in. In the instructions it states "covering letter containing your email address, if applicable, your date of travel and date of the medical "

I will obviously put my email address on it. I'll add the date of the medical (which has already happened)

For date of travel, is that the planned date for me to move to the US? If so, it kind of depends on when the interview is scheduled. My overall plan is to move to the US on May 20th. However I am in the US for three weeks from March 25th to April 10th on holiday. If I get my visa approved before then I will travel with it on March 25th to the US, then return to England for a month before permanently moving 4 weeks later.

I need the interview either pre-holiday or post holiday (avoiding during it), shall I just request that on the covering letter instead?

Thanks for you help

Jon
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:44 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-2001 Date of Travel

Jon, I would put the earliest date you expect to arrive in the US, just to make sure you are covered in either eventuality. Note they ask for the "date" and not the "dates"; I think they just want to know when you plan to arrive so they can schedule things on their end. Note that the visa will be good for a limited time, but you should be safe to use it for at least a few months after it is issued.

If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me

Last edited by Speedwell; Jan 10th 2013 at 11:46 am.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick response.

We definitely plan to move within 6 months of the medical so there will be no problems with the expiration.

The 3 week holiday to the US (which my USC wife and I will return to England from) a month before we truly intend to domicile has just confused matters a little for me and I'm just thinking of anything I need to be aware of because of it.

I understand that if I have the visa I may be required to use it when I travel on the holiday, and there should be no problem with my wife and I returning to England a few weeks later for a month to finish working and tie up loose ends (it will only be a month)

My wifes intent to domicile evidence generally corresponds with the post holiday May 15th date (notice on our tenancy agreement -ends in May), end of her UK working contract - ends in May, dates relating to rental apartments we are enquiring into etc.)
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe answering my own question here ...

If I state 15th May as my planned travel date, chances are my interview on current timelines will still be end of Feb/start of March time.

When the interview comes up I still state my planned date is May alongside all my May intention to domicile evidence. Assuming I get granted the Visa there should be no problem with "deciding" to move earlier and using it to enter the US when I go on holiday in late March?

Or am I just massively overly complicating matters here? Can I just tell the interviewing officer that we plan to go to the US for a few weeks in March on a pre-planned holiday, come back for a month and then go there permanently (truth is best?)

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

Just put down an honest date you expect to move. .... and then start hoping!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Cover letters get no attention.

To have the best chance of avoiding an interview during a period when you do not want it, give a desired date of travel well after that period.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jloto
I need the interview either pre-holiday or post holiday (avoiding during it), shall I just request that on the covering letter instead?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You could always say "approximately" such and such date. Or, you could put "unknown". Or, you could put "prior to visa expiration date".

I don't think it really matters.

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the answers everyone, that's put my mind at rest. I think I'll just put May on the basis that's the truth and the general consensus seems to be they don't pay much attention to it anyway.

I imagine many people don't have an exact date of travel in mind in advance of even knowing when its possible (as I don't know interview date)
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

I've just realised that I have forgotten to send a covering letter with my DS-2001 and the DS-230 part I. Does anybody think that will be a problem?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 2:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris197337
I've just realised that I have forgotten to send a covering letter with my DS-2001 and the DS-230 part I. Does anybody think that will be a problem?
It should not be a problem.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It should not be a problem.

Rene
Oh good, thanks for that.