Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-160: question on dual citizens and passports

DS-160: question on dual citizens and passports

Old Oct 11th 2021, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Question DS-160: question on dual citizens and passports

One of the questions on the DS-160 is
"do you hold or have you held a nationality other than the one you have indicated above”

Then it asks you if you hold a passport in that nationality.
I am a dual national however I only have a passport for my original nationality. I indicated this on the form.

However I am considering applying for a passport for my second nationality. The reason is my work wants me to travel the week after my visa appointment and Im concerned I may not have my passport back. I figure if I have a backup passport it will make things easier.

However Im concerned that if I apply for a second passport that it will invalidate the DS-160, since the answer to that question would now be incorrect, despite it being correct when I filled out the form.

Should I be concerned at all about applying for a second passport or should I leave it given how I answered on the DS-160?
Old Oct 11th 2021, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-160: question on dual citizens and passports

Why not get a second passport in your 'main' nationality that you already have one for?
Old Oct 11th 2021, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Oh thats a good idea!
Actually the reason I would not do that is that I assumed I could only hold one passport for a given nationality.
However you made me remember I could get an EU passport card. And given the travel I want to do is within the EU this would suit my needs.
Hmm it seems you cant use the EU passport card to enter back into the UK.

Last edited by tariqbutt; Oct 11th 2021 at 7:08 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

You can usually get a second passport if you have a good reason (lots of travel, waiting on visas, travel in the middle east etc.) - at least that's the case for the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting I didnt know that.

Question on that: would the second passport have the same passport number as the first? Or would it be a totally different passport?
Old Oct 11th 2021, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

This may be helpful, unfortunately I don't actually know anyone with different passports. I would imagine they are the same name, different number.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...BLICATION_.pdf
Old Oct 11th 2021, 8:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
Interesting I didnt know that.

Question on that: would the second passport have the same passport number as the first? Or would it be a totally different passport?
I had 2 UK passports while I was having my L visa stamped. They had different pictures, expiry dates and passport numbers. I left one with the embassy and flew down to New Zealand for a week with the other. You need to meet certain criteria to get a second UK passport, I believe the US does similar but have never tired as I have not had the need.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onal-passports
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the passport from the other nationality it would not invalidate the DS160 because the date of issuance will be pass the date you completed and submitted the DS160. Sometimes people over think things
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:44 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
Oh thats a good idea!
Actually the reason I would not do that is that I assumed I could only hold one passport for a given nationality.
However you made me remember I could get an EU passport card. And given the travel I want to do is within the EU this would suit my needs.
Hmm it seems you cant use the EU passport card to enter back into the UK.
I ticked the box on the form for a passport card when I went to the consulate in NY to renew my EU passport, they told me it was pointless because I don’t live in the EU I would need my passport for travel to there anyway and removed it from my application. Makes sense since the UK left the EU.
Old Oct 12th 2021, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I ticked the box on the form for a passport card when I went to the consulate in NY to renew my EU passport, they told me it was pointless because I don’t live in the EU I would need my passport for travel to there anyway and removed it from my application. Makes sense since the UK left the EU.
Off-topic, although it’s worth noting that if you are an EU citizen you can still travel within the EU (including Ireland) using your EU national ID card. However, say you go to Ireland and cross the invisible land border to Belfast, I suspect you’d need to show passport when you cross from Belfast to England/Scotland/Wales?
Old Oct 12th 2021, 2:37 am
tht

Originally Posted by destone
Off-topic, although it’s worth noting that if you are an EU citizen you can still travel within the EU (including Ireland) using your EU national ID card. However, say you go to Ireland and cross the invisible land border to Belfast, I suspect you’d need to show passport when you cross from Belfast to England/Scotland/Wales?
Yes you can, but to get to Europe (Schengen) if you don’t live there you would need a passport, so her point was that if I have the EU passport, the ID card would not doing anything the passport would do. I have the US one, which I carry as ID, but again is not that useful for travel since you can fly domestic with an enhanced DL, and even for Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean it can only be used for land borders and ports, but not for air travel. The thing the US passport card is most useful for is picture ID for the kids.
Old Oct 12th 2021, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
If you get the passport from the other nationality it would not invalidate the DS160 because the date of issuance will be pass the date you completed and submitted the DS160. Sometimes people over think things
Is this definitely correct? ^

Just want to make sure its not a case of "If the information on the DS-160 changes you must resubmit the DS-160"