Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-160 Help - employment information

Wikiposts

DS-160 Help - employment information

Old Apr 13th 2015, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

jon74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-160 Help - employment information

Hello -

I've had my petition for an O-1 visa approved, and so am filling in the DS-160 forms for me & my family (who'll get O-3 visas).

For my wife's application, it asks for previous employment information:

"Were you previously employed? yes/no"
"NOTE: Provide your employment information for the last five years that you were employed, if applicable."

I can read that note two different ways: does it mean "have you worked in the last 5 years", or does it mean "provide info for the last 5 years that you did work, whenever that was"?!

She has been a full time mum for the last 7 years - so could be yes or no depending on how you interpret the question!

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2015, 5:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-160 Help - employment information

I read it as have you ever been employed.

If you have been employed give details for the last 5 years you were employed.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-160 Help - employment information

Originally Posted by jon74
I can read that note two different ways...
You can, but one would be incorrect. These are generic forms used for a variety of situations... so answer the questions as asked. Here are my 3 rules for filling out forms:

1) Take each question at face value;
2) Do not ascribe meaning to the question beyond that which is plainly written; and
3) Do not try to alter the question to fit your circumstances.

So...

"Were you previously employed? yes/no"
A simple yes/no response is required.

"NOTE: Provide your employment information for the last five years that you were employed, if applicable."
Give info for the last 5 years of employment.

Ian