British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   DS-160 help with a couple of Q's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/ds-160-help-couple-qs-738043/)

Leo_Loves Nov 6th 2011 4:42 pm

DS-160 help with a couple of Q's

I'm filling out my DS-160 - I have my interview on Thursday, I'm confused by a couple of questions.

1) Intended travel plans.
I haven't actually booked anything but I've given an estimate as to when I'll fly out. I'm not sure what to put for intended length of visit as I'm applying for a 3 year visa to work in the US and may apply for that to be extended and stay even longer. I will, of course, be returning to the UK sporadically to visit friends/family.

2) Previous employment.
It asks for 5 years of employment history 'if applicable'.
I've only got 2 years worth of employment history that is related to the job I'll be doing in the US, do they really want to know that I was a teaching assistant before that and unemployed at University before that?

Thanks for the help!!

Leo

Noorah101 Nov 6th 2011 4:46 pm

Re: DS-160 help with a couple of Q's

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves (Post 9717692)
1) Intended travel plans.
I haven't actually booked anything but I've given an estimate as to when I'll fly out. I'm not sure what to put for intended length of visit as I'm applying for a 3 year visa to work in the US and may apply for that to be extended and stay even longer. I will, of course, be returning to the UK sporadically to visit friends/family.

If it's asking your intended date of travel, put the estimated one. If it's asking how long you intend to stay in the USA, put "unknown".

2) Previous employment.
It asks for 5 years of employment history 'if applicable'.
I've only got 2 years worth of employment history that is related to the job I'll be doing in the US, do they really want to know that I was a teaching assistant before that and unemployed at University before that?
If it's asking for employment history in general, then yes, they want you to list all your employment.

Rene

Leo_Loves Nov 6th 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks for the super quick answer Rene!

Does it matter that I will only be able to enter employment for 3 years because I was at university prior to that?

There isn't the option for 'unknown' for duration of stay, do you think it's best for me to put 3 years which is the duration of the h1b (should it be approved) and that's the likely duration I'll be in the US (unless I get an extension, for example)?

I'm kind of stressed about getting these answers right e.g. I don't know the precise day that I started school, finished school, started at x employer, finished at x employer etc. I don't suppose any of these will be issues though, right? Im going a little doolally here :eek:

Leo_Loves Nov 6th 2011 5:45 pm

OK, I filled out the form the best I can. There's a bunch of stuff that it's almost impossible to be exact on. I can only hope that at the embassy, these forms are approached fairly and with a little sense and understanding!

Thanks for the help :)

My fingers are securely crossed for an approval on Thursday! :fingerscrossed:

scoobysnacx Nov 6th 2011 5:48 pm

Leo,

I did my DS-160 last week :)

Put your estimated date of arrival and duration of stay in months that are within your visa end date.
Arrival address, I talked to my employer and we agreed on a hotel.

Work history, fill it out best you can including your teaching assistant job.
You are not classed as unemployed while at University.

scoobysnacx Nov 6th 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves (Post 9717718)
I'm kind of stressed about getting these answers right

Tell me about it, I had to ask our attorney lots of questions.

My H1B interview was stress free, sat down at 08:15 had both window interviews, paid DX Courier and walked out at 08:40.

Good luck on Thursday.

Victorinox Nov 6th 2011 8:50 pm

I got a bit bored half way through the DS-160, having realised how long it was. A lot of the dates were approximated and I got a bit worried that they might not match dates provided by the attorneys but in hindsight, it was all relatively painless.

I had an 08.30 appointment and was, quite literally, walking out of the embassy at 08.30, having had my H1B approved.

He only asked me 3 questions; a bit anticlimactic but very happy.
Only thing (as per my previous posts) was the missing I-797B, which I am hoping turns up with my stamped passport.

ian-mstm Nov 6th 2011 10:15 pm

General comment:

As with all things on US immigration forms, take each question at face value. Don't try to ascribe meaning to it beyond what is plainly asked for, and don't try to twist the question so it gels with your situation.

Ian

zerlesen Nov 7th 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9718014)
As with all things on US immigration forms, take each question at face value. Don't try to ascribe meaning to it beyond what is plainly asked for, and don't try to twist the question so it gels with your situation.

Definitely.

A very sensible general piece of advice is not to volunteer information unnecessarily. However, when filling out these sorts of forms I always erred on the side of including useless information, since it would surely look much worse to have omitted a potentially germane fact - and who knows what may be considered germane? They almost certainly don't care about your teaching assistantship, but the idea is to let them know you're giving a complete account of yourself, at which point (ideally) their eyes glaze over with boredom and they give you the visa.

(OTOH, if your teaching assistantship was in Tehran then you're probably going to have a more complicated time of things no matter what you put on the DS-160.)

Leo_Loves Nov 7th 2011 3:34 pm

ha. good points. thank you :)

Well, I included the teaching experience and the form is submitted. I have everything printed out and ready in a clear-plastic wallet which I'll take with me on Thursday morning with my fingers firmly crossed and hope for the best. The way I figure, they've approved the petition and there's no real reason the shouldn't approve the visa but who knows, it's an uncertain thing. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for all the help, folks :D

richardi734 Nov 7th 2011 6:31 pm

Good luck for Thursday mate.

Leo_Loves Nov 7th 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks dude!

richardi734 Nov 9th 2011 5:06 pm

So how did it go Leo we are all waiting?;)

Leo_Loves Nov 9th 2011 5:08 pm

haha, it's still wednesday dude :cool:

tomorrow morning :fingerscrossed:

scoobysnacx Nov 9th 2011 9:35 pm

My H1B was approved last Thursday and my passport was delivered back this morning (Wednesday), flying to US on Monday.