Downsides of Green Card?

Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:40 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all
Default Downsides of Green Card?

Currently on L1A and company have offered to file for GC. We do a lot of these and I hear it takes around 5 months.

My basic question is: are there any downsides when our mid-term view is to return to the UK?

I'm aware that the company might try and impose a lock-in to recoup their costs in the event of leaving, but most employers I know would probably buy-out these costs.

Apart from potentially losing some expat benefits in moving to a local contract and having more complex tax filings for a few years, is there anything that learned members would recommend that we consider?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Downsides of Green Card?

As green card is often a step towards citizenship (and you talk about mid-term so I assume citizenship is an option that will be open to you) then check the Wiki
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have children, were any born in the US?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:00 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Additional Info:

- no interest in becoming US Citizens
- two children (3 and 5) but neither born in US.
- horizon would be max 5/6 more years
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

A common misconception is that you need a green card to be considered a "resident" for tax purposes. Actually, if you were present more than 31 days of the current year and more than 183 days of the previous year inside the US, the IRS considers you "resident" (there are some exceptions for F, J and M visas).

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inter...-Presence-Test

In any case, staying on L1 vs getting a green card will not change your taxes except perhaps for 2013 (if you do not meet the substantial presence test). If you have a lot of foreign-source income, and do not yet meet the SPT, then you may want to delay your GC for 1 year.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:09 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IPM
Additional Info:

If you become US Citizens, your children can become US Citizens which might be handy for them down the road.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't tell from your post, but are saying you only plan to stay in the USA another 5 or 6 years? If that's the case, I don't see any benefit from getting a green card. A green card is for those people who want to live permanently in the USA (whether they ever become USCs or not).

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:18 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I couldn't tell from your post, but are saying you only plan to stay in the USA another 5 or 6 years? If that's the case, I don't see any benefit from getting a green card. A green card is for those people who want to live permanently in the USA (whether they ever become USCs or not).

Rene
The main benefits we see are (a) no longer tied to one employer and; (b) it de-risks house purchase
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IPM
The main benefits we see are (a) no longer tied to one employer and; (b) it de-risks house purchase
True, you'd no longer be tied to one employer. You could stay and work in the USA as long as you like. You could purchase a home. But then give it all up when you move back to the UK.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IPM
Additional Info:

If it is only a green card and not naturalization, then there probably isn't any real advantage other than you can change jobs at will. However, some had green cards but did not naturalize and left the US thinking that they would never return but later decided that they changed over the years and preferred to live in the US but no longer had a way to return since their green card was abandoned.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

True, you'd no longer be tied to one employer. You could stay and work in the USA as long as you like. You could purchase a home. But then give it all up when you move back to the UK.
Rene
I have an old friend who got transferred to the US on an L1 with his family. They really like it here and want to stay, plus their teenage kids are in the US school system now.
But his employer wants him to move back after just 2 years, so he's getting a Green Card so that he has the choice, not the employer.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I have an old friend who got transferred to the US on an L1 with his family. They really like it here and want to stay, plus their teenage kids are in the US school system now.
But his employer wants him to move back after just 2 years, so he's getting a Green Card so that he has the choice, not the employer.
Kind of interesting that the employer doesn't realize your friend will move on and find a new job once he has his green card. If I were his L-1 employer, and I wanted him to move back to the UK in 2 years' time, I wouldn't be sponsoring him for a green card. Duh. LOL

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Kind of interesting that the employer doesn't realize your friend will move on and find a new job once he has his green card. If I were his L-1 employer, and I wanted him to move back to the UK in 2 years' time, I wouldn't be sponsoring him for a green card. Duh. LOL
Rene
It's unclear to me that his employer actually knows. Is that possible? I assume he could skip PERM being an L1 (executive) but would the company have sponsored the I-140?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
It's unclear to me that his employer actually knows. Is that possible? I assume he could skip PERM being an L1 (executive) but would the company have sponsored the I-140?
In order to get a green card based on an L-1 or H1B visa, the sponsoring employer has to start the process. So the employer would know a green card is being applied for, because they company has to start the whole thing.

The employer might not know that the green card holder can change jobs, but that also seems doubtful (that the employer wouldn't know this).

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IPM
Currently on L1A and company have offered to file for GC. We do a lot of these and I hear it takes around 5 months.

My basic question is: are there any downsides when our mid-term view is to return to the UK?

I'm aware that the company might try and impose a lock-in to recoup their costs in the event of leaving, but most employers I know would probably buy-out these costs.

Apart from potentially losing some expat benefits in moving to a local contract and having more complex tax filings for a few years, is there anything that learned members would recommend that we consider?
If you are going to stay for 5/6 years then I'd get it and then naturalize so that if you ever want to come back, or your kids do, you can just turn up and carry on. If you leave and give up your stats and then wanted to return, you'd have to start over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.