Don't make my mistake

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all
Default Don't make my mistake

Read the Action Forms!
I came in permanently in 2003, did everything legally, got my green card, married my Southern Lady and looked forward to being in NC for the rest of my life as due to COPD I am deteriorating gradually, now on oxygen and cant fly any more. Got all the paperwork from USCIS and thought that was it, but missed the bit that says to renew card after two years. Some years later my NC driving licence expired and renewal was refused as no current green card. That was in 2008 and I have been trying to renew card and licence ever since. Had photo and prints taken at Durham office, prints did not take so due to my health problem and the difficulty in accessing Durham office (handicapped ramp sucks), techs came to my home and took more prints. I have been waiting now over two years for a new card and whenever I access my online details I am informed "initial review." Phone calls only tell me that the Texas center is over two years behind on its applications. Meanwhile I can't drive, I won't risk it without a licence as the local fuzz (even to an ex English bobby!) are shit hot to keep their quotas up and the courts are corrupt and only interested in collecting revenue with tickets and court costs. So that's about the only thing that spoils my quiet life in my declining years, oh apart from the pitiful UK pension!

God is great
Beer is good
People are crazy.

Martin
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't make my mistake

Originally Posted by Haldaman
Read the Action Forms!
I came in permanently in 2003, did everything legally, got my green card, married my Southern Lady and looked forward to being in NC for the rest of my life as due to COPD I am deteriorating gradually, now on oxygen and cant fly any more. Got all the paperwork from USCIS and thought that was it, but missed the bit that says to renew card after two years. Some years later my NC driving licence expired and renewal was refused as no current green card. That was in 2008 and I have been trying to renew card and licence ever since. Had photo and prints taken at Durham office, prints did not take so due to my health problem and the difficulty in accessing Durham office (handicapped ramp sucks), techs came to my home and took more prints. I have been waiting now over two years for a new card and whenever I access my online details I am informed "initial review." Phone calls only tell me that the Texas center is over two years behind on its applications. Meanwhile I can't drive, I won't risk it without a licence as the local fuzz (even to an ex English bobby!) are shit hot to keep their quotas up and the courts are corrupt and only interested in collecting revenue with tickets and court costs. So that's about the only thing that spoils my quiet life in my declining years, oh apart from the pitiful UK pension!

God is great
Beer is good
People are crazy.

Martin
I'm sorry to hear about your health.

But I'm confused...here is your last immigration-related post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...21#post3082421

It's from 2005, and you are posting that your conditions were successfully removed (which would match up with your entry in 2003, and removal of conditions in 2005). Once the conditions are removed (which you announced as approved in 2005), you receive a 10-year green card, which would expire in 2010 (this year).

I'm not understanding what you were trying to do in 2008?

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

It's a little bit more complicated actually.
My welcome Notice dated 2003 told me my new permanent resident card would be mailed to me within 3 weeks (it was) and "Your new card will expire 2 years from when you became a permanent resident. By law ........you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires."
In 2005 my "alien card is extended 12 months" after I paid $200. Then I was given an appointment to go to Durham for the biometrics, but due to Mother-in-law getting very sick and eventually passing away and some other issues I had to reschedule a couple of times. The first time I got there they took my card and stamped my UK passport for a year, the second time they took biometrics, then there was the fuss about sending techs to my home, all that started in 2008 and I have been waiting ever since. So I wish I had started the process earlier!

God, beer, people etc.

Martin

Last edited by Haldaman; Dec 22nd 2010 at 7:35 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My welcome Notice dated 2003 told me my new permanent resident card would be mailed to me within 3 weeks (it was) and "Your new card will expire 2 years from when you became a permanent resident. By law ........you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires."
In 2005 my "alien card is extended 6 months" after I paid $200.
This is a little unusual. Usually that extension letter says "extended 1 year". But, so far so good.

Then I was given an appointment to go to Durham for the biometrics, but due to Mother-in-law getting very sick and eventually passing away and some other issues I had to reschedule a couple of times. The first time I got there they took my card and stamped my UK passport for a year, the second time they took biometrics, then there was the fuss about sending techs to my home, all that started in 2008 and I have been waiting ever since.
Wow. So you never actually got the biometrics completed? So you never actually finished the removal of conditions process. So they never produced your 10-year card. So you've actually been in the "removal of conditions" process since 2005??

If I were in your shoes, I would have a consultation with an immigration attorney to get you back on track. Have you made any other Infopass appointments in the meantime, to follow up?

So I wish I had started the process earlier!
You couldn't have started the removal of conditions process any earlier. It MUST be done during the 90-day window just prior to your 2-year card expiration. Sounds like you did that on time.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:09 pm

.... but missed the bit that says to renew card after two years.
No you didn't miss that bit. Sounds like you did exactly that, back in 2005, when you should have.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In 2005 my "alien card is extended 6 months" after I paid $200.
Curious... in 13 years of following these immigration fora, I have never heard of this happening.

... all that started in 2008 and I have been waiting ever since.
I haven't gone back to read all your prior posts, but whatever conversation you're having in your head about this isn't coming across in your posts. It's your choice not to rehash what has happened in the past.

So I wish I had started the process earlier!
If you had a 2-year GC, you could not have started earlier. You must file to remove conditions within the 90 days immediately prior to the expiration date on the card. No sooner... no later... within those 90 days.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had the conditions removed but they made the mistake and issued another 2 year card instead of a ten year card. Nothing costs $200 at USCIS UNLESS you are talking about a replacement card.

Did you complete and I-90?

In 2005 my "alien card is extended 6 months" after I paid $200. Then I was given an appointment to go to Durham for the biometrics, but due to Mother-in-law getting very sick and eventually passing away and some other issues I had to reschedule a couple of times. The first time I got there they took my card and stamped my UK passport for a year, the second time they took biometrics, then there was the fuss about sending techs to my home, all that started in 2008 and I have been waiting ever since. So I wish I had started the process earlier!

God, beer, people etc.

Martin
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

My alien card was extended 12 months in 2005 after I paid the $200.
M conditional basis was removal was approved in 2008 after I filed for it in 2005. Thats when it all started. The further 12 months stamp in my passport was in June 2009.
All my biometrics were completed and I was just told (several times) to wait for the new card in the mail.
After my initial mistake not applying to renew within 2 years, I did everything I was required, I have all the notices.
Martin
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Sounds like you had the conditions removed but they made the mistake and issued another 2 year card instead of a ten year card. Nothing costs $200 at USCIS UNLESS you are talking about a replacement card.

Did you complete and I-90?

I-751 (I presume, thats what the receipt says) duly completed, and the $200 was sent after I was asked for it for renewal.
Martin

Last edited by Haldaman; Dec 22nd 2010 at 7:48 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:37 pm

Rete has a good point. What did you file for the removal of conditions back in 2003, was it I-751 or I-90? Did you ever receive another green card after that at all?

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I-90 duly completed, and the $200 was sent after I was asked for it for renewal.
Martin
You never should have filed I-90; it's nothing to do with you.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:45 pm

I-90 duly completed, and the $200 was sent after I was asked for it for renewal.
Martin
Oh dear. This is your problem. The I-90 is for a green card RENEWAL. You needed to file an I-751 form for REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS.

You need an immigration lawyer.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

The receipt says it was I751 and "if you have not heard from us within 6 months you may contact this office."
I never got another card, eventually it all started when I could not renew my d/licence.
My points in starting this thread were to warn about reading forms and to tell about the slowpoke Texas office. Also the Durham office is not a helpful place.

Yep, thanks Noorah, still waiting....and no way can I afford an attorney on disability!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and I have filed an I-90 as well.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:48 pm

The receipt says it was I751 and "if you have not heard from us within 6 months you may contact this office."
I never got another card, eventually it all started when I could not renew my d/licence.
My points in starting this thread were to warn about reading forms and to tell about the slowpoke Texas office. Also the Durham office is not a helpful place.

Yep, thanks Noorah, still waiting....and no way can I afford an attorney on disability!
Your situation is VERY confusing. You got a receipt saying you filed an I-751, but you actually filed an I-90?

There are low- or no-cost attorneys out there. Unless you just want to keep hanging around on your 1-year I-551 stamp (I guess you got this on an infopass appointment?), and just never get it all straightened out...?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.