Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does the VWP really benefit the traveller?

Wikiposts

Does the VWP really benefit the traveller?

Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:48 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Does the VWP really benefit the traveller?

Originally Posted by ajb1701
Ok so why are people always saying people like Ian Mstm and Crg saying B2 visa chance 0% 1%. you will never get it people are not optimistic about people getting B2 visas anymore why is that?
Not sure where you got the quote and what specific group they're referring to. If they're referring to people who were refused ESTA and have drug, murder, treason convictions all combined, then yes, I'd think the chance is 0-1%
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:53 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by discoviking
I think that's a fair assumption. Back in the pre-VWP days when I was a poor student in Norway, the B2 application process was very simple.
Yes, that's my point, and it's probably "Country"-profiling, for lack of a better term I can think of. Even back in the 80's I'm sure someone will have a much harder time getting a tourist visa if he/she's from, say, Kenya (Sorry I have nothing againt Africa), simply because he/she's from that country, regardless of socioeconomic status.

Similiarly, I think if for some reasons, the UK's not on the list of VWP, I still think the majority of the people will be able to get their visa approved. Whether the rate will be more or less than under VWP, will be unknown to me because it's a hypothetical scenario.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so why are people always saying people like Ian Mstm and Crg saying B2 visa chance 0% 1%. you will never get it people are not optimistic about people getting B2 visas anymore why is that?
You seem to have read my post out of context. Key phrases: 'Pre-VWP' 'Early 80's'
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:37 am
Banned

ajb1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

No i haven't read your post out of context but I did read a number of others threads and the opnion of some members is you haven't got a chance in hell of getting the B2. I am also of the understanding you cant be deported just sent home on the visa waiver whereas you get a multi year ban with the B2 visa if u get denied entry
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:41 am
Busy at Work

No i haven't read your post out of context but I did read a number of others threads and the opnion of some members is you haven't got a chance in hell of getting the B2. I am also of the understanding you cant be deported just sent home on the visa waiver whereas you get a multi year ban with the B2 visa if u get denied entry
I'm not an immigration lawyer, but I don't think that's right.

You still didn't mention under what context was the 0-1% chance of getting B visa referring to. Was it people who were denied ESTA already? Those who were not denied ESTA but wanna entered for longer trips than 90 days? Those who didn't have a job and no financial support? Etc. It's the details that matter.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

No i haven't read your post out of context but I did read a number of others threads and the opnion of some members is you haven't got a chance in hell of getting the B2.
I give up. Does the term 'apples and oranges' mean anything to you?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
I'm not an immigration lawyer, but I don't think that's right.

You still didn't mention under what context was the 0-1% chance of getting B visa referring to. Was it people who were denied ESTA already? Those who were not denied ESTA but wanna entered for longer trips than 90 days? Those who didn't have a job and no financial support? Etc. It's the details that matter.
Comment: bookmaking is often an art and not much of a science.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:25 am
Busy at Work

I was thinking just now: If one doesn't want to go through the hassle of applying for a visa at a consulate, and yet still want 180 days of tourist status on entry with none of the restrictions of VWP, then I propose immigrating to Canada and naturalize as a Canadian Citizen

Vancouver is quite gorgeous, though you need to speak French if you wanna settle in Quebec, and unfortunately Toronto's not as big of a financial city as New York. Oh and at least Canada has a National Health Care System and prescription drugs are cheaper...

Last edited by lifehouse51; Apr 12th 2010 at 4:29 am.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:40 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It's impossible to know an individual's chances of getting an approved visa from an individual consular officer on any given day. There are just too many variables.

I typically won't give odds on someone's chances of getting a visa. On a few occasions, I have expressed doubt at someone's chances to the point that they shouldn't even bother applying. It's usually because they claim to have a recent criminal record that clearly would make them inadmissible, a recent period of unlawful presence with a bar, and/or a prior refusal or removal from the US.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by crg
It's impossible to know an individual's chances of getting an approved visa from an individual consular officer on any given day. There are just too many variables.

I typically won't give odds on someone's chances of getting a visa. On a few occasions, I have expressed doubt at someone's chances to the point that they shouldn't even bother applying. It's usually because they claim to have a recent criminal record that clearly would make them inadmissible, a recent period of unlawful presence with a bar, and/or a prior refusal or removal from the US.
Thats fair comment I suppose.

There can be no doubt the pros outweigh the cons on the visa waiver program. I think it was very clever the way they get you to wave your rights before admission when you sign the form I read it on wiki that's good I like that!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fair comment I suppose.

There can be no doubt the pros outweigh the cons on the visa waiver program. I think it was very clever the way they get you to wave your rights before admission when you sign the form I read it on wiki that's good I like that!
Comment: The get you to waive some rights you no longer have! However, there is a pro quid quo in it.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Comment: The get you to waive some rights you no longer have! However, there is a pro quid quo in it.
quid pro quo?

Long time since I did Latin.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:56 pm
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by Boiler
quid pro quo?

Long time since I did Latin.
Wikipedia's your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid_pro_quo
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
But you do how can I put it wave the visa checking process don't you. I mean you don't have to take job details pay stubs mortgage bank statements blah blah blah with you when you use the VWP they won't ask to see it will they?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I mean you don't have to take job details pay stubs mortgage bank statements blah blah blah with you when you use the VWP they won't ask to see it will they?
Very often, they do want to see "job details pay stubs mortgage bank statements blah blah blah".

Ian