Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does the VWP really benefit the traveller?

Wikiposts

Does the VWP really benefit the traveller?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the VWP really benefit the traveller?

Originally Posted by Boiler
That makes no sense.

Nobody HAS to go to the US, and you have the same potential issues where ever you go.

If it is such a big issues, there is an easy answer, holiday at home.
Well, yes it does doesn't it? Normal visa applications would offer more thorough screening and offer more reassurance of passing the border.

I love the US and have a lot of family there. It would be nice to make the journey with minimal concern of being turned away.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Boiler,

I have to contend that the potential pitfalls for the unsuspecting foreign/"alien" traveller at the US POE´s are considerably more numerous and onerous than is normally the case in other Western democracies.
The US is a wonderful country to visit and the Americans the most friendly and helpful people one could wish for, but increasing numbers of "ordinary" tourists no longer feel welcome in the US, due to the vexing complexities at the US POE´s and the attendant risks of being turned back and put on the next available flight home.
The near impossibility of adequately gauging that risk prior to actually flying to the US and presenting oneself at the POE is decidedly a growing factor behind the increasing reluctance of many "aliens" to visit the US these days.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have yet to see a genuine holidaymaker post on here who has had a problem.

I have seen Americans post who have had issues getting in to the UK, struck me as similar to the ones who had issues getting into the US.

It seems mainly in your head.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to see a genuine holidaymaker post on here who has had a problem.

I have seen Americans post who have had issues getting in to the UK, struck me as similar to the ones who had issues getting into the US.

It seems mainly in your head.
I am a genuine traveler and have never had any issues going to the US! Because of some knowledge of the US immigration system I still wonder if I will be turned way at the border when I get there.

It isn't about being genuine or not, it's about balancing the national security of the US with enabling visitors to fully enjoy their trips.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

That makes no sense.

Nobody HAS to go to the US, and you have the same potential issues where ever you go.

If it is such a big issues, there is an easy answer, holiday at home.

I'm with Dean on this.

Quite right - you don't HAVE to go to the US.

But it is much harder it would seem to visit even as a genuine traveller if you fall outside a certain model - eg Family/ 2 weeks / Florida/Employed. Between contracts I am - Single/ 8 weeks/eg Nat Parks in Utah, drive from the east coast/Unemployed.

So for now I will take the easy route and holiday elsewhere. It's no big deal.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I am a genuine traveler and have never had any issues going to the US! Because of some knowledge of the US immigration system I still wonder if I will be turned way at the border when I get there.

It isn't about being genuine or not, it's about balancing the national security of the US with enabling visitors to fully enjoy their trips.
I have yet to see anyone post on here about being refused entry for national security reasons.

For those with a conservative music taste, look up Snoop Dog and his issues getting into the UK.

A friend of mine did get to the point where his B ran out and decided the issues of getting another was just too much.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I have yet to see anyone post on here about being refused entry for national security reasons.

For those with a conservative music taste, look up Snoop Dog and his issues getting into the UK.

A friend of mine did get to the point where his B ran out and decided the issues of getting another was just too much.
Well, "I'm yet to see Bin Laden turned down on a VWP to confirm that it is really effective." Because you personally haven't seen something doesn't mean that it hasn't occurred at some point!

I appreciate that people have problems getting into the UK, but that just means that maybe the UK system could do with a review as well as the American one.

The point that I'm making here is that the VWP is being promoted as 'saving you the hassle of having to apply for a visa to visit the US'. Well, I already have to apply for a passport, so I can't see how applying for a visa instead would be any more of a pain if applied for well in advance.

Ultimately, the VWP offers a quick way to attract tourists to the US and an easy way to turn them away. Yes, it's up to the US to do this as any country and I fully respect that - but I also should be given as much advance warning as possible if I'm likely to be turned away at the border.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Well, "I'm yet to see Bin Laden turned down on a VWP to confirm that it is really effective." Because you personally haven't seen something doesn't mean that it hasn't occurred at some point!

I appreciate that people have problems getting into the UK, but that just means that maybe the UK system could do with a review as well as the American one.

The point that I'm making here is that the VWP is being promoted as 'saving you the hassle of having to apply for a visa to visit the US'. Well, I already have to apply for a passport, so I can't see how applying for a visa instead would be any more of a pain if applied for well in advance.

Ultimately, the VWP offers a quick way to attract tourists to the US and an easy way to turn them away. Yes, it's up to the US to do this as any country and I fully respect that - but I also should be given as much advance warning as possible if I'm likely to be turned away at the border.
The parameters of the VWP are on the Consulate web site.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I'm with Dean on this.

Quite right - you don't HAVE to go to the US.
Unfortunately, if I want to see my family I have to. I say 'unfortunately' not because of the US itself, on the contrary, but because of the immigration system.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:57 am
Account Closed

So you want a Document that:

- Guarantees you entry
- For as long as you want
- To do what you want

One comes to mind.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

So you want a Document that:

- Guarantees you entry
- For as long as you want
- To do what you want

One comes to mind.
No, I want a document that doesn't make me feel that I'm more likely to be turned away at the border even if I've done nothing wrong.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:03 am
Account Closed

No, I want a document that doesn't make me feel that I'm more likely to be turned away at the border even if I've done nothing wrong.
Use the VWP or apply for a B.

Your call.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Use the VWP or apply for a B.

Your call.
If I apply for the B and I'm entitled to use the VWP, I'm very likely to get turned down for the B. This would make my travel to the US even more of a gamble.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense at face value, but the VWP also has the added bonus for the US of easily being able to turn travelers away without fear of being challenged for such decision making.
Since 1996, this is no longer true.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Since 1996, this is no longer true.
Really? Do you have a link, and if it has too much 'legalese' can you break it down for me, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.