Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

does location affect i-130 processing time?

does location affect i-130 processing time?

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 12:26 pm
Ashish Tambar

Hi everyone, Thanks for your help. I have another question: I was wondering whether a US
citizen's location in US affects his i-130 application processing time? I mean, since a
lot more people must be applying from New York city, compared to only a few from Buffalo,
is there any chance that this might be a plus point in my case? (I live in Buffalo.) Thank
you, Ashish.

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 3:11 pm
Onigiri

Hi everyone,
> Thanks for your help. I have another question: I was wondering whether a US citizen's
> location in US affects his i-130 application processing time? I mean, since a lot more
> people must be applying from New York city, compared to only a few from Buffalo, is
> there any chance that this might be a plus point in my case? (I live in Buffalo.) Thank
> you, Ashish.

One would think so. However, since Buffalo is very close to a foreign country a whole
lot of Americans would be driving across the border to get married to the locals and
petition to take them home to America. It would therefore take longer for petitions from
Buffalo to be approved. I think the timeline would likely depend more on the number of
miles that separates your town from the INS-center where you had sent your I-130
petition. You can find the waiting times in one of links relevant to I-130 petitions at
the site: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ and check out the mileage correlation for
yourself and post.

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 10:51 pm
Qtsood

It does not matter if your address falls under the jurisdication of a particular service
center. Anyway, whether you live in Buffalo or in NY, the Vermont Service Center still
processes applications in the order received.

Your wife won't be here for **at least** 9-12 more months. Give 4 months for the Service
Center, then 4 months for your wife to receive Packet 3 and 1-4 months until the US
Consulate sends an interview date for your wife.

Good luck. DS Sood.
>
>Hi everyone, Thanks for your help. I have another question: I was wondering whether a US
>citizen's location in US affects his i-130 application processing time? I mean, since a
>lot more people must be applying from New York city, compared to only a few from Buffalo,
>is there any chance that this might be a plus point in my case? (I live in Buffalo.)
>Thank you, Ashish.