Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does GC mean new SS (without condition)?

Does GC mean new SS (without condition)?

Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Does GC mean new SS (without condition)?

I'm very excited. I received my 2 year GC a week ago. This means I don't need to use my EAD as work authorization, correct? Does this also mean that I can now apply for a new social security card? You know, one without the "need authorization to work" condition. If so, how do I go about getting it.

This forum has been of tremendious help to me, I would've been lost in the maize, that is the INS, were it not for your help.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does GC mean new SS (without condition)?

Originally Posted by Paw1
I'm very excited. I received my 2 year GC a week ago. This means I don't need to use my EAD as work authorization, correct? Does this also mean that I can now apply for a new social security card? You know, one without the "need authorization to work" condition. If so, how do I go about getting it.

This forum has been of tremendious help to me, I would've been lost in the maize, that is the INS, were it not for your help.
Correct. EAD is no longer relevant.

You can have the restriction removed on your SS card by visiting your local SSA office and showing them your green card. They will reissue your SS card without the restriction. It usually takes a few weeks to get the new card.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:51 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paw1

Hmm. Maybe I should get a new Social Security card. I have one of the old white ones with the number in red and my name typed in by a manual typewriter with the second letter in each name raised because the typist didn't let the platten drop.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hmm. Maybe I should get a new Social Security card. I have one of the old white ones with the number in red and my name typed in by a manual typewriter with the second letter in each name raised because the typist didn't let the platten drop.

My dad, who will be 90 on October 16th, has his original social security card. I forgot what year it was that SS was enacted but I would wager that the card is over 70 years old.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I would wager that the card is over 70 years old.
Yesterday, social security celebrated its 70th birthday!

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
My dad, who will be 90 on October 16th, has his original social security card. I forgot what year it was that SS was enacted but I would wager that the card is over 70 years old.
Hi:

Mine is 40 years old. I remember getting it the year the Astrodome opened and what a wonder it was that the Houston Astros played there. Now its a relic and they play in ??? [it used to be Enron Field -- but I think they gave up the naming rights]. BTW, what were the Astros called before they became the Astros?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Mine is 40 years old. I remember getting it the year the Astrodome opened and what a wonder it was that the Houston Astros played there. Now its a relic and they play in ??? [it used to be Enron Field -- but I think they gave up the naming rights]. BTW, what were the Astros called before they became the Astros?
And now, from the dept of Too Much Time Waiting for Something to Print:

"Houston's original entry in the National League was named the Colt .45s, honoring the gun that tamed the West. The team became the Astros as part of the city's move into the Space Age--and into its Space Age arena."
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/.../h-dome30.html