Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

jgirl1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Does anybody know if the British embassy will assist with the cost of returning to the UK?
I am married to a US citizen but my status expired some time ago (and so did my British passport). The marriage has been rocky from the get go with various different incidents including one where he was arrested and charged with domestic violence. The charges were later dropped by the police and we got back togethor to "work on our marriage". In the most recent incident I found a string of emails between him and women on the casual encounters section of craigs list arranging meetings. I am desperately unhappy and just want to get home at this point. As I have no status I obviously have no income and as he is the sole wage earner I have no money to pay for a flight. I am not sure if I would even be allowed to board a plane with an expired passport. I have no family to help either here or in the UK and I am increasingly desperate. Hoping somebody here can help with advice.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals You can look here, I think they do ask for you to pay them back once you are home in the UK. You may need an emergency travel document too.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/short-notice

Contact the nearest consulate and find out.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does the embassy help with cost to get home - stuck in the US with no help

Originally Posted by jgirl1972
Does anybody know if the British embassy will assist with the cost of returning to the UK?
I am married to a US citizen but my status expired some time ago (and so did my British passport). The marriage has been rocky from the get go with various different incidents including one where he was arrested and charged with domestic violence. The charges were later dropped by the police and we got back togethor to "work on our marriage". In the most recent incident I found a string of emails between him and women on the casual encounters section of craigs list arranging meetings. I am desperately unhappy and just want to get home at this point. As I have no status I obviously have no income and as he is the sole wage earner I have no money to pay for a flight. I am not sure if I would even be allowed to board a plane with an expired passport. I have no family to help either here or in the UK and I am increasingly desperate. Hoping somebody here can help with advice.
I know you are desperate but it is very confusing when you open duplicate threads in several forums.

The UK Consulate will help repatriate you but you will be expected to repay them. I have posted this information and information about travelling back to the UK using an expired passport.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:56 am
Just Joined

jgirl1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry this is the first forum I have ever used. Not looking to confuse just didn't know which area to post within so thought I could cover it with both.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And look here for when arriving back in the UK.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgirl1972
Sorry this is the first forum I have ever used. Not looking to confuse just didn't know which area to post within so thought I could cover it with both.
It's OK. It looks like you've been given some good advice and links in the other thread. Stay strong...I wish you luck.