does anyone know

Old Aug 29th 2002, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

paula29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default does anyone know

how long after a fiance visa is aplyed for I could move there. Does it really take 12 months my bf lives in nyc and I live in Canada. thank you
Old Aug 29th 2002, 10:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does anyone know

Originally posted by paula29:
how long after a fiance visa is aplyed for I could move there. Does it really take 12 months my bf lives in nyc and I live in Canada. thank you
Once it is approved you have six months in which to use it for entry into the US. Once here you have 90 days to marry and then you will file with NYC INS for permanent residency and the right to work and travel. I don't envy you dealing with NYC INS (we did) but it is doable but not quickly. Final interview for the green card will be about 18 months after filing for it. But you will be together and will be able to work and travel as long as you apply for your employment authorization document and advance parole.

Rete
Old Aug 29th 2002, 10:12 pm
Shannon

Originally posted by paula29:
I believe Rete replied to this below. She estimated that filing through Vermont SC it should take 3-5 months to get the K1 visa for you to come and join your boyfriend.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 10:26 pm
Girard Bourque

If he lives in NYC and you in Canada, I would say 4-5 months. Vermont is pretty fast
with the fiance visas.

Jerry

Old Sep 1st 2002, 12:36 am
Frank H

I am a USC, currently sitting in China waiting for K3 approval for my wife. I
married in China, we have a son born in China, yet I can only get tourist visas. The
PRC does not give resident visas, no such thing. All long term visas are emplyment
bases - they don't want you to stay. The employment visa holders get a card, but the
validity is only a months. I have a friend who has been living in China 18 years,
married to native, 2 PRC born kids, still gets new visa for the entire family (wife
is now USC)every 6 months.

DO NOT move to China without a job beforehand because your chances of finding a job
with US salary here are no-existent. The only way is if you get the job in US first.

If you need help on the marriage part, send me an email. Good luck to all.

Old Sep 1st 2002, 3:12 am
Mrtravel

frank h wrote:
    > I have a friend who has been living in China 18 years, married to native, 2 PRC
    > born kids, still gets new visa for the entire family (wife is now USC)every 6
    > months.

How did she become a USC if they have been living in China?

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 5:08 am
Frank H

Good question. USC living overseas, married 3 years (i believe), your wife can go to
consulate and take the equivalent of citizenship test, and bingo, gets a passport in
a few weeks. Look it up, it is real.

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > frank h wrote:
    > > I have a friend who has been living in China 18 years, married to native, 2 PRC
    > > born kids, still gets new visa for the entire family (wife is now USC)every 6
    > > months.
    > How did she become a USC if they have been living in China?

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:05 am

frank h wrote:
    > Good question. USC living overseas, married 3 years (i believe), your wife can go
    > to consulate and take the equivalent of citizenship test, and bingo, gets a
    > passport in a few weeks. Look it up, it is real.

That's interesting. A PR can't be absent from the US for more than 18 months out
of the 3 years to get citizenship, but someone who doesn't live here can get it
in 3 years??

I can't locate this in the INS "Guide to Naturalization"

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:50 am

This is rather interesting. SBC Global is showing a time 40 minutes earlier than my
actual post time.

"[email protected]" wrote:
    > frank h wrote:
    > >
    > > Good question. USC living overseas, married 3 years (i believe), your wife can
    > > go to consulate and take the equivalent of citizenship test, and bingo, gets a
    > > passport in a few weeks. Look it up, it is real.
    > That's interesting. A PR can't be absent from the US for more than 18 months out
    > of the 3 years to get citizenship, but someone who doesn't live here can get it in
    > 3 years??
    > I can't locate this in the INS "Guide to Naturalization"

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 3:12 pm
L D Jones

frank h wrote:
    > Good question. USC living overseas, married 3 years (i believe), your wife can go
    > to consulate and take the equivalent of citizenship test, and bingo, gets a
    > passport in a few weeks. Look it up, it is real.

Can you supply any reference for this? I've read the INS guide to naturalization and
cannot find it anywhere

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 5:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Frank H:
Good question. USC living overseas, married 3 years (i believe), your wife can go to
consulate and take the equivalent of citizenship test, and bingo, gets a passport in
a few weeks. Look it up, it is real.
Weirder still is that the fact that one must not only be married to a USC for three years but must also have been a PR for three years.

How did she overcome this fact?

Also why did you post originally on a post that has to do with Canada?

Rete