Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

does anyone actually not miss their family back home ? ;)

does anyone actually not miss their family back home ? ;)

Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:59 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does anyone actually not miss their family back home ? ;)

No. If I went back (haven't in three years this time and didn't for four years before that) I'd seriously debate whether letting any family know purely because of the fact the people I would want to see don't live anywhere near them.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:46 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I do miss them. Both of my sisters have been over to visit once in the 8 years I've been over here, my brother has not. Back in England I would see them all two to three times a year. Despite my best efforts, none of them will use skype. My daughters both live there too (although one has been travelling for 10 months and is not there), it is they that I miss the most. One I skype with from time to time, and both of them I chat with on the phone a couple of times a week. Although I would like to have grandchildren, I know that will be very hard to be apart from them too. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Wifey is an unknown quantity at this point

Talked with my ex-pat husband a little about that. We did do the visit when his mum died last year... He doesn't really want to visit his brother if we visit the "Old Country" in the future... But will give in to a maybe "let him in on one week" of our three-plus week visit.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

It so good to hear that im "normal" for feeling that way ahhhhh
i also find it very stressful when going back home to fit everyone in, everyone wants us to visit them and stay for longer and if you miss anyone out you get talked about
its funny that people dont realise that as a family of 5 we spend thousands to get over to the uk to visit and have a limited amount of time when we are there.. hey come over to my dads and see us, but no, we have to trapse all over the country to please everyone
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

No, I don't miss any of my family! The only members that really mattered are dead leaving the dysfunctional nutters behind. I am far better off being thousands of miles away from them...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm the odd one out, it would seem. Though I did come from a reasonably small family.

Anyone on my side of the fence - is there anyone who honestly wouldn't really miss their in-laws if they were lucky enough to be able to move back to blighty
I'm with you. I miss my family so much it hurts. I guess it depends on the relationships you had before you moved over. I have one son, 3 sisters, 4 nieces and a bucket load of great-nieces/nephews. I was close to them all - and even though people try to make me feel better by saying I get "quality time" now with my son - i.e. blocks of two weeks every 5-6 months rather than a weekend every month or so; I'd take the latter all the way.
I miss knowing I can see any of them whenever I want. Whether or not I choose to see them, the knowledge I could see any of them within an hour or two, makes a huge difference to me.
My sisters all visit, one annually, one every other year - and one just once in six years; but my son visits twice a year generally... but it still isn't enough. I watch Americans here in the malls and in restaurants with their families and on big family outings and it really hurts.

As for my husbands family, I like them all, very much; especially his sisters; but I know should anything happen and I return to England alone, we would probably not keep in touch for long. I don't have any illusions about that one.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
I'm with you. I miss my family so much it hurts. I guess it depends on the relationships you had before you moved over. I have one son, 3 sisters, 4 nieces and a bucket load of great-nieces/nephews. I was close to them all - and even though people try to make me feel better by saying I get "quality time" now with my son - i.e. blocks of two weeks every 5-6 months rather than a weekend every month or so; I'd take the latter all the way.
I miss knowing I can see any of them whenever I want. Whether or not I choose to see them, the knowledge I could see any of them within an hour or two, makes a huge difference to me.
My sisters all visit, one annually, one every other year - and one just once in six years; but my son visits twice a year generally... but it still isn't enough. I watch Americans here in the malls and in restaurants with their families and on big family outings and it really hurts.

As for my husbands family, I like them all, very much; especially his sisters; but I know should anything happen and I return to England alone, we would probably not keep in touch for long. I don't have any illusions about that one.
I knew I wasn't the only one
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

i also find it very stressful when going back home to fit everyone in, everyone wants us to visit them and stay for longer and if you miss anyone out you get talked about
its funny that people dont realise that as a family of 5 we spend thousands to get over to the uk to visit and have a limited amount of time when we are there.. hey come over to my dads and see us, but no, we have to trapse all over the country to please everyone [/QUOTE]

This must be a very common thing. I'm off back home in a few hours and planning my itinerary for visits becomes like a military operation. Might also explain why I come back ill all the time, I think I try to do too much!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
This must be a very common thing. I'm off back home in a few hours and planning my itinerary for visits becomes like a military operation. Might also explain why I come back ill all the time, I think I try to do too much!
The benefits of having a small family - we stay with my mum when we visit, my dad comes by to see us and we get to go off and do our own thing. My mum has the rest of the family round for a big do one of the nights and everyone's happy.

Now, getting to see all my mates again would be a different undertaking ...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do every day of the week. Even when they pee me off.

Frank R.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

I knew I wasn't the only one
I'm also with you!! I've only been here 4.5 years but the last few months I've been missing everything about my family and being back home. I have a 2 year old niece (who I've only seen 3 times) and another one due next month, and I hate being so far away from them and missing them grow up etc. Seriously considering a move back to somewhere closer to home within the next 12-18 months, especially as my visa is up in November and I'll be landlocked for at least a year if I stay
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the odd one out, it would seem. Though I did come from a reasonably small family.

Anyone on my side of the fence - is there anyone who honestly wouldn't really miss their in-laws if they were lucky enough to be able to move back to blighty
I think my DH would miss my Mom, he does like her and she him.

However, this is all supposition because we wouldn't move to the UK, at best do a six months here, six months there and only then, IF we won the lottery.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Sort of, I suppose you could say.

I lived on the Isle of Man for 12 years with family in Somerset and Devon, so only saw them maybe once a year, and spoke on the phone to my parents on a Sunday. Then I moved back in with them for a couple years before moving out here.

Even with that, I speak to may parents via Skype maybe once a week, my brother a little less on average, but that's about it.

We're over there in April for the UK celebration of our wedding (older relatives etc couldn't make it to Utah in September), but that'll be it for this year probably, unless they come here (we're off to Hong Kong hopefully for a honeymoon, to stay with my best man).

I've always been pretty independent, so I don't need the amount of contact that some other people do - we're all different, I suppose.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough

I agree that having FB and email is great now and no I only miss my mum as she is getting on in age and has the begging stages of dementia. I did go back to live in her house when my dad died, I sold my flat and husband took a job back in US while we waited (oh so patiently !) for the visa, so I am close to her. Both sisters live in England (mum in Glasgow where we were brought up) so we only communicate via email with mum's neighbour. The neighbour pops in on mum and updates with any concerns. Apart from that no, don't miss family.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:46 am
Hello Moto!!!!!

IloveAlaska is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here in the States for 5 years now, and I have to say that skype has changed my life, from when we lived in San Diego (11 years ago), with only phone calls. I get to see my mum and sister occasionally via skype. But I speak with my best friend back in Yorkshire every few weeks on skype. We joke that it feels almost like we are sat across the table from each other! It has really helped me with home sickness, just because I can see them all!

I have an elderly Uncle, who doesn't have a computer, so I speak with him on the phone, but like my mum, his health is failing fast, and our telephone calls are always so sad.

The thought of going back to England for a visit, kind of depresses me, because I know everything will have changed, and I would find it incredibly hard to see my mum and uncle looking so frail. But worse still, you end up having to say your "good byes" again. I am a big sissy, and just end up blubbering my head off. When my mum visited us back in September it was lovely to have her here, but to wave her off at the airport was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I just couldn't stop crying!

I suppose I am rather selfish, that I don't want to go back for a visit because it will make me sad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.