Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dodgey advice from an immigration attorney?

Dodgey advice from an immigration attorney?

Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

dwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nice
Default Dodgey advice from an immigration attorney?

I am in the US on an L1A start up visa. My visa expires in a couple of months and I'm starting to speak to attorneys over here to see which one would be best for my renewal.

Anyway, during a conversation with one such attorney he tells me that as an L1 visa holder, any time I leave the US and come back I'm entitled to a 2 year stamp on my I94!? So he suggests that it would be possible to take a short trip to the bahamas and get a 2 year stamp.

Well, I have always been led to believe by numerous sources (most of them attorneys) that L1 holders are only entitled to a stamp valid up to the expiration of their visa. My numerous trips abroad in the last year have always resulted in a stamp that only lasts up to the expiration of my visa. When I told the lawyer this, his response was "well they don't like to give 2 years but you are entitled to it". Is this complete b*ll*cks or what?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgey advice from an immigration attorney?

The maximum period of admission is for validity of the "visa petition."

Note that I say "visa petition" and not "visa." In certain circumstances, as a general rule, it is possible to be admitted for beyond the validity of the visa.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

dwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nicedwhittles is just really nice

what's the difference between "visa petition" and "visa"? and how can this result in an I94 for longer than the expiration of the visa?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:54 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

In general, a visa must only be valid at entry. It's perfectly fine for someone with a B2 visa valid for one more day to be admitted for up to one year.

Is there a petition date on your L? How many years have you been on the L?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

There is only an issue date and an expiration date. There is no "petition date". I have been on the L1 for just under a year.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwhittles
There is only an issue date and an expiration date. There is no "petition date". I have been on the L1 for just under a year.
Are you talking about the "visa" or the underlying "visa petition?"
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that you can do that on an E2, but then essentially you are landlocked.

I assumed maybe incorrectly that this was not possible on a L.

Presumably on a L you are going to need to travel anyway.

I have heard that those on a E2 who do this and then later do go to the Consulate for a visa are pretty much guaranteed a grilling.

Presumably you know in your situation that the real interview is after the 1 year, the initial visa is not so much an issue.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It's happened to me several times that I am given a full 2 year renewal on my I-94 when entering with a current (not new) E3 visa; they don't seem to check the expiration date but just give me 2 years from date of entry. However if it goes past the date of LCA expiration, I (and my work) are unsure as to whether I can work until the date on the I-94 or just the date on the LCA... I usually get a new LCA and a new visa before the current one expires just in case. Also as mentioned, even if your I-94 gives you 2 more years, after the visa expires you are essentially stuck here. I travel for work and wouldn't be able to get back in without a new visa even if the I94 was ok.