Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Documentation for Interview - Any input appreciated!

Wikiposts

Documentation for Interview - Any input appreciated!

Old May 4th 2004, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Nature Person is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Documentation for Interview - Any input appreciated!

Hi there:

I am Single, never married, 5 year GC to Naturalization path. Taking the following documents -

1. Tax returns for 5 years (2003, I do not have the letter 1722
as I just filed this year, so will take the filings themselves)

2. Selective Service papers

3. Green Card (of course)

4. Passport (of course)

5. Copy of N - 400 form I had sent in

6. Court papers for 2 speeding tickets

7. Official Transcript for 1998 as no taxes filed for previous year

8. Credit card/Bank Statements (If yes, how many????)

Is there anything else I should be taking along? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old May 4th 2004, 5:44 am
Just Joined

mumoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Documentation for Interview - Any input appreciated!

Hi:
It sounds as though you have covered all your bases. I actually do not remember taking any tax papers to my interview - perhaps it depends on your current visa status - certainly did not take any banking documents either. Did they ask for them specifically? I think I had already submitted all the other paperwork with the application that I mailed in to the service center. Of course every case is different. I would just look over application carefully and see that you have not stretched any truths too much. They will go over your form with you, and perhaps try to trip you up. At my interview while in the waiting room, an officer actually put his head around the door and said "Sorry we are taking so long, people are lying on their forms" Not sure if that was a good or bad thing to say to a waiting room full of expectant immigrants. Yes, very professional.

Anyway, good luck and take a good book to read!

Originally posted by Nature Person
Hi there:

I am Single, never married, 5 year GC to Naturalization path. Taking the following documents -

1. Tax returns for 5 years (2003, I do not have the letter 1722
as I just filed this year, so will take the filings themselves)

2. Selective Service papers

3. Green Card (of course)

4. Passport (of course)

5. Copy of N - 400 form I had sent in

6. Court papers for 2 speeding tickets

7. Official Transcript for 1998 as no taxes filed for previous year

8. Credit card/Bank Statements (If yes, how many????)

Is there anything else I should be taking along? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old May 4th 2004, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mumoftwo
Hi:
It sounds as though you have covered all your bases. I actually do not remember taking any tax papers to my interview - perhaps it depends on your current visa status - certainly did not take any banking documents either. Did they ask for them specifically? I think I had already submitted all the other paperwork with the application that I mailed in to the service center. Of course every case is different. I would just look over application carefully and see that you have not stretched any truths too much. They will go over your form with you, and perhaps try to trip you up. At my interview while in the waiting room, an officer actually put his head around the door and said "Sorry we are taking so long, people are lying on their forms" Not sure if that was a good or bad thing to say to a waiting room full of expectant immigrants. Yes, very professional.

Anyway, good luck and take a good book to read!
Thanks for the input! What office did you apply to? And, I am not sure what you meant by "see that you have not stretched any truths too much." I thought the form was pretty straightforward and asked for concrete and legitimate information...Thank you!
Old May 4th 2004, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Jancunuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Nature person - sounds like you have the list of any required documents -most people seem to breeze through the interview providing they are well versed on the "100 questions".

The only things I can see on the form which may cause some people to be untruthful would be things like the length of time out of the US or possibly the question about your willingness to go to war.

I am sure you will do fine - when did you receive your interview notice? Were you given enough time to prepare?
Old May 4th 2004, 10:18 am
Just Joined

mumoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Nature person:

Sorry, yes, of course I meant stretching any dates of in/out. The testing is an actual breeze - I was a it disappointed to be truthful - I had studied furiously only to be asked questions that my 7-year-old would know. Then I was asked to write on a piece of blank paper the words "you cook very well" - thought it was a joke, but I suppose a lot of people without English as a first language could get confused. Anyway, I went to the West Palm Beach office and they forward paperwork to Miami, the original paperwork went to Texas.
Good luck to you anyway.
Old May 4th 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jancunuck
Nature person - sounds like you have the list of any required documents -most people seem to breeze through the interview providing they are well versed on the "100 questions".

The only things I can see on the form which may cause some people to be untruthful would be things like the length of time out of the US or possibly the question about your willingness to go to war.

I am sure you will do fine - when did you receive your interview notice? Were you given enough time to prepare?
I got it about 2 weeks back, I was actually out of the country then. I think I have all my paperwork (God willing I haven't forgotten anything!)...I just need to study the questions and make sure everything is in order, and so I have taken a day off from work. Will let you know how it goes.
Old May 4th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mumoftwo
Nature person:

Sorry, yes, of course I meant stretching any dates of in/out. The testing is an actual breeze - I was a it disappointed to be truthful - I had studied furiously only to be asked questions that my 7-year-old would know. Then I was asked to write on a piece of blank paper the words "you cook very well" - thought it was a joke, but I suppose a lot of people without English as a first language could get confused. Anyway, I went to the West Palm Beach office and they forward paperwork to Miami, the original paperwork went to Texas.
Good luck to you anyway.
Thank you! Will keep everyone posted.