Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough
Default Do you carry your greencard?

I was chatting with another expat last night and the subject of carrying greencards came up. I recently received mine (about 2 months ago) and the accompanying letter said that it should be carried at all times ... so I do!

My friend said that he never carries his greencardas he uses his drivers license if he needs ID. Also he said that Greencards are like gold dust and that if "people" know you are carrying one they might be tempted to take it.

As a new greencard holder, I was wondering if you always carry your greencard with you, and if not, why not?

Minty
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by Minty
I was chatting with another expat last night and the subject of carrying greencards came up. I recently received mine (about 2 months ago) and the accompanying letter said that it should be carried at all times ... so I do!

My friend said that he never carries his greencardas he uses his drivers license if he needs ID. Also he said that Greencards are like gold dust and that if "people" know you are carrying one they might be tempted to take it.

As a new greencard holder, I was wondering if you always carry your greencard with you, and if not, why not?

Minty
Hi Minty,

My alien husband DOES carry his in his wallet at all times.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Minty

OMG I wouldn't dream of carrying the original - only a photocopy!

Yes, I know we're supposed to carry them, but the trouble resulting from losing it or having it stolen would be just too much.

Have lived here nearly five years and have never been asked for it except at POE.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Hi Minty

My Daughter and I carry our GC's at all times too.

Sal
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is a law to the effect that you must have the card with you at all times. Some people have interpreted this to mean that they should physically have it with them, while others interpret this to mean a photocopy. That said, I carried mine only when I was on a trip outside the US... I never once carried it otherwise. Why? Well... let's just say that I look a lot like the locals and talk like 'em, too!

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe there is a law to the effect that you must have the card with you at all times. Some people have interpreted this to mean that they should physically have it with them, while others interpret this to mean a photocopy. That said, I carried mine only when I was on a trip outside the US... I never once carried it otherwise. Why? Well... let's just say that I look a lot like the locals and talk like 'em, too!

Ian
Interesting so far. Two carry their greencards and two do not!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting so far. Two carry their greencards and two do not!

My husband carried his with him for all of the three years that he had it. Never left home without it. The regulations says to carry it, he did.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Minty
Hi:

The law REQUIRES you to carry the orginal. I recommend you make a photocopy to keep at home. You may want to apply for a "re-entry permit" via form I-131. It is green card in booklet form and its valid for two years [or expiry of condition].

One of these days, I might tell you the story of an IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY who was an LPR and carried a copy rather than the original. It is amusing, but shall we say that I personally observed a reason to carry the damn original?
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I carry mine in my wallet. With that said, I rarely have my wallet with me if I'm just doing my day to day routine.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The law REQUIRES you to carry the orginal. I recommend you make a photocopy to keep at home. You may want to apply for a "re-entry permit" via form I-131. It is green card in booklet form and its valid for two years [or expiry of condition].

One of these days, I might tell you the story of an IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY who was an LPR and carried a copy rather than the original. It is amusing, but shall we say that I personally observed a reason to carry the damn original?
For Minty: my alien has carried his card every day since he got it; over 3 years now.

MrF: I recall someone posting the argument that it's a moot point because the Fourth Amendment protects the alien from being forced to produce the card (without cause, anyway). I can see from your annecdote that that might not be true, but am curious for your comment (and the story!)
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

So does this mean that a PR traveling via the re-entry permit does NOT need to take the plastic green card along on the overseas trip?

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 5:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Never been out of the envelope since it arrived ....
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:03 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
For Minty: my alien has carried his card every day since he got it; over 3 years now.
You are so romantic.....
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
You are so romantic.....
Following the last time this came up, I have a photocopy in my wallet.

I find it difficult to believe that those who say that they carry it, always do so.

I usually have my DL with me, but not always.

Ditto CC's.

As has been said the chance of losing it is higher than having an issue showing it, and so are the financial consequences.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:38 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I find it difficult to believe that those who say that they carry it, always do so.
Not wishing to be an argumentative son of a seacook, but why do you find it difficult? Whenever I leave the house I always take mine with me, unless I am just popping out to the car (on my property, and hence -- in theory -- protected by the 4th). Even if I am going to the mailbox (off my property) I always carry it.

Not producing it when required is (IIRC) a misdemeanor punishable by a $1000 fine, plus maybe some other penalty.

However, I also believe that only persons duly authorised by the USCIS are able to demand its production, not Roscoe P. Coltrane/Cletus, etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.