Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do-It-Myself B2 to E2 status etc. and onwards

Wikiposts

Do-It-Myself B2 to E2 status etc. and onwards

Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:22 am
Just Joined

TomFlorida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do-It-Myself B2 to E2 status etc. and onwards

What an interesting and valuable site this is.

I'm looking for some pointers on what I'm trying to do and I'm sure I can't be the first to attempt it.

I'm in the US with my family on B2 and now wishing to stay, via B2-E2 status conversion, then B2 through the London Consulate in due course. (I'm still looking for a business to buy!) I've been advised, and looking at it, it seems true, that the paperwork is not too difficult, I would have to do nearly all of the preparation myself anyway and the attorneys I've seen require substantial payment and, so I've heard, don't always get it right.

I know I need to do a lot of trawling for information and forms but wonder if anyone could point me to a source of detailed information on the forms required, the application addresses, how the application pack has to be prepared, where I can download/obtain the forms etc, etc - if you've done it, I'm sure you know what I mean?

Also, subsequent to the E2 status, but presumably applied for in parallel, my wife would need permission to work and my children would need permission to attend school - any thoughts?

What have been your experiences of info. requests form USCIS?

Can anyone confirm that children are allowed to go to state school on E2-status (I home school at the moment)?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:27 am
Just Joined

OberonSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do-It-Myself B2 to E2 status etc. and onwards

Originally Posted by TomFlorida

I'm looking for some pointers on what I'm trying to do and I'm sure I can't be the first to attempt it.

I'm in the US with my family on B2 and now wishing to stay, via B2-E2 status conversion, then B2 through the London Consulate in due course. (I'm still looking for a business to buy!) I've been advised, and looking at it, it seems true, that the paperwork is not too difficult, I would have to do nearly all of the preparation myself anyway and the attorneys I've seen require substantial payment and, so I've heard, don't always get it right.

I know I need to do a lot of trawling for information and forms but wonder if anyone could point me to a source of detailed information on the forms required, the application addresses, how the application pack has to be prepared, where I can download/obtain the forms etc, etc - if you've done it, I'm sure you know what I mean?

Also, subsequent to the E2 status, but presumably applied for in parallel, my wife would need permission to work and my children would need permission to attend school - any thoughts?

What have been your experiences of info. requests form USCIS?

Can anyone confirm that children are allowed to go to state school on E2-status (I home school at the moment)?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Hi,

Here's a link to the government site you can get the forms etc from, they also provide guides for certain forms. This this actually takes you to the E2 form, but thelinks on the left of the screen when you get there will help you find the correct form.

I hope this helps a bit. I'm afraid I can't advise on the adjustment, best bet is to read absolutely everyhting you can get your hands on!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and onwards
There really is no onwards from an E2. Consider carefully before committing.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There really is no onwards from an E2. Consider carefully before committing.
Thanks 'fatbrit'. I was meaning onwards from E2-status ie 'E2-proper'. But thanks for your cautionary note.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me ..all this research should have been done 6 months
before you arrived...
But business's to avoid ..
Pool Service
Lawn Sevice
Propert management
They are done to death ...
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Seems to me ..all this research should have been done 6 months
before you arrived...
But business's to avoid ..
Pool Service
Lawn Sevice
Propert management
They are done to death ...
Thanks for your comments Ray, I agree about those types of business.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Fourteenth Amendment protections will apply, I believe. See: Plyler v. Doe
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Fourteenth Amendment protections will apply, I believe. See: Plyler v. Doe
Thank you. Looking at that, it would also seem to cover the leagl entry I'm looking for.