Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?

Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 1:51 am
Just Joined

ps20090 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?

Hi ,

Friends i live in china and dont know much of chinese so there is a communication gap when my friend went for photo shoot for his US Lottery Visa

They gave him original photo Original Photo is 5 mb in size

and resized photo to him but to his shock the resized photo was not 2 x 2 inches at all .... and dint meet criterion of 600 x 600 pixels also

cropped image by them

I tried to clean my photoshop skill from getting dust and made him this photo but i fear what if it gets cancelled as i am not a pro photographer , something very basic might be wrong like image size or ratio or maybe face size itself which has to be 50-60%
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...1&d=1349142577

If possible try to tell me the error or mistakes or any reason why it can get rejected so i can work on it
Attached Thumbnails Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?-dsc_6312.jpg   Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?-dsc_6311.jpg   Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?-daniel-2.jpg  
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do my photos meet the requirements or not ?

It looks fine to me but I dont work in the embassy.

If its still not 600 x 600 pixels then a good step by step tip is:

1) Open the photo in windows live photo gallery
2) Click edit, organize or share in the top left corner
3) Click edit from the list at the top
4) Click resize and choose small 800

This resizes the photo to the correct measurements and the pixels to the right amount for the embassy.

I uploaded more than one picture with this method and they all worked first try!

Cx
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the link to the photo app at the bottom of this page:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/visapho...oreq_5334.html

I used it just recently for my ds 160.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

One Life is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also doing the DV Lottery, and I just took the passport style photo but forgot to take off a thin, V-shaped neck chain. Is this still acceptable, or should I take another photo?

Last edited by One Life; Oct 4th 2012 at 2:00 am.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Life
Is this still acceptable, or should I take another photo?
Is there anything in the instructions that states you can't wear a necklace or jewelry? If not, don't worry about it.

Ian
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Venabili is an unknown quantity at this point

The official validator page with the requirements included:

https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx

Jewelry that does not obscure the face is permitted. The only rule that can apply is:

* Decorative
Items Photos in which the person being photographed is wearing sunglasses or other items that obscure the face are not acceptable.

but if it is a necklace, this does not apply. So your photo will be ok.

Did you try to run it through the validator and see what the result will be? It does not catch all the problems but between the instructions and the validator, you have all the needed information.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

One Life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Venabili

Jewelry that does not obscure the face is permitted. The only rule that can apply is:

* Decorative
Items Photos in which the person being photographed is wearing sunglasses or other items that obscure the face are not acceptable.

but if it is a necklace, this does not apply. So your photo will be ok.

Did you try to run it through the validator and see what the result will be? It does not catch all the problems but between the instructions and the validator, you have all the needed information.
Thank you Ian and Venabili.
I did run it through the photo validator and it was fine. I just wanted to make sure, because if a necklace weren't permitted, I'm not sure if the validator would tell me that, since I think the validator is more for measurements of the photo and "head positioning".
Thanks again!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Venabili is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, the validator will not say anything about the chain.

But the only jewelry requirement concerns the pieces that can obscure facial features. So you will be fine
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:35 am
Just Joined

alekos74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ian
Originally Posted by Venabili

I checked the validator page before submitting my application and it came out fine since it was 600x600 but I think it only checks the digital requirements (size, pixels etc).

I'm smiling in the photo I sent, is smiling considered to be a neutral expression as per their requirements? Thanks!

It would be a real bummer if I were disqualified for that
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alekos74
I'm smiling in the photo I sent, is smiling considered to be a neutral expression as per their requirements?
No, smiling is not a neutral expression.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember stressing out about the photo upload into the DS-160. Then when I arrived at the embassy, they asked for a print copy of the photo... and it could be a completely different photo.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

No, smiling is not a neutral expression.

Ian
It's all kind of ambiguous as there are many 'correct' examples listed with people smiling

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

It's all kind of ambiguous as there are many 'correct' examples listed with people smiling
You asked if smiling was a neutral expression. It isn't. That's different from asking whether or not the photo will be accepted as a result.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

You asked if smiling was a neutral expression. It isn't. That's different from asking whether or not the photo will be accepted as a result.

Ian
You're right, my apologies!

So do you think the photo will be accepted? I haven't seen anything of the neutral expression nature on the DV 2014 instructions which is why I'm confused
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There are smiles, and then there are smiles. The Mona Lisa would be acceptable, the Chesire Cat would not.

Regards, JEff

I'm smiling in the photo I sent, is smiling considered to be a neutral expression as per their requirements?