Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do i need to transfer H1B visa to UK passport?

Wikiposts

Do i need to transfer H1B visa to UK passport?

Old May 17th 2006, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Chakra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do i need to transfer H1B visa to UK passport?

Hi,

I have a H1B visa stamped in 2005 on my Indian passport at US consulate in London. But i could not leave UK because of family issues. Subsequently i got UK citizenship. My US employer still wants me to come to US to work for him and i have the same job offer. My question is - Can i still go to US with my UK passport showing my now cancelled Indian passport that has valid H1B visa stamp? My US employer asks me to go to US embassy and get it re-stamped. I can do that but i want to know is it necessary to transfer the H1B visa stamp to my UK passport?. I really appreciate anyone's views who have better knowledge of these matters than myself.

Thanks
Chakra
Old May 17th 2006, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do i need to transfer H1B visa to UK passport?

Originally Posted by Chakra
Hi,

I have a H1B visa stamped in 2005 on my Indian passport at US consulate in London. But i could not leave UK because of family issues. Subsequently i got UK citizenship. My US employer still wants me to come to US to work for him and i have the same job offer. My question is - Can i still go to US with my UK passport showing my now cancelled Indian passport that has valid H1B visa stamp? My US employer asks me to go to US embassy and get it re-stamped. I can do that but i want to know is it necessary to transfer the H1B visa stamp to my UK passport?. I really appreciate anyone's views who have better knowledge of these matters than myself.

Thanks
Chakra
Hi:

The law requires you have a valid visa AND you have a valid passport when you apply for admission. The law does NOT require that the visa be in the same passport.

It is quite common for people to present a current passport and the old passport with the still valid visa in it. The entry stamp will be placed in the new passport with the notation of "VIOPP" for "visa in other passport."

That said, what is different about your case is that the two passports are from different countries. I don't see why it would be different, but I have NO EXPERIENCE with that situation.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The law requires you have a valid visa AND you have a valid passport when you apply for admission. The law does NOT require that the visa be in the same passport.

It is quite common for people to present a current passport and the old passport with the still valid visa in it. The entry stamp will be placed in the new passport with the notation of "VIOPP" for "visa in other passport."

That said, what is different about your case is that the two passports are from different countries. I don't see why it would be different, but I have NO EXPERIENCE with that situation.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. That was a very useful insight into my situation. To be certain, perhaps i need to seek professional advice. I wanted to know if i can do without a trip to US consulate. I welcome anyone's views who have known similar cases.

Regards
Chakra
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:50 am
Just Joined

I think one needs to apply for new visa if citizenship changes completely. I came across this in Latvian US Emabssy website.

http://riga.usembassy.gov/EN/site/V/visafaqs

"note that you may not travel with two passports if you have completely changed your citizenship, i.e. changed it from Latvian to Russian. In such cases, you have to apply for a new visa."

I wish i can conatct US emabssy in cost effective way. They have expensive 090 number that costs £1.20/min. They dont respond to emails anymore. In fact they dont have one to contact. I know Canadian citizens dont need to transfer H1B visas. Do i have to fill in all forms and get employer documents etc, book an appointment and go through whole process again?
I welcome anyone to share their views as to what would be required for applying new visa again.

Thanks in advance.