Do I need to revalidate my H1/H4?

Old Apr 11th 2001, 7:00 pm
dd

Hi:

I had a valid H-1b visa from may 1999 till march 2002 (stamped in my passport, same
H-4 in my wife's), the I-94s are up to the same date (march 2002). At the end of the
2000 I changed the job, and the visa transfer was filed. In addition, the lawyer
applied for "extension of stay".

Yesterday I received the new approved I-797s for my H-1b and my wife's/son's H-4. My
I-797 reads "Petition for non-immigrant worker, valid from march 2001 to jan 2004".
My wife's/son's I-797 reads "Application to extend/change nonimmigrant status, valid
from apr 2002 to jan 2004". The I-797s contain new I-94 at the bottom.

The question: do I need to do something with my passport/visa if I (or my wife/son)
am planning to travel outside US? I mean, is visa stamped in my (our) passport(s) is
valid despite I've changed the employer? Or I should revalidate the visas in St.Lous
or in the embassy before return?

Sorry for long question.

Regards, Sttmp.

Old Apr 12th 2001, 2:29 am
Hello All

Your stay is valid till the date shown on the approval notice. So is the case with
your wife and child. The approval notices should be carrying I-94s at the bottom.

Visa issued at the Consular post is valid even though you have changed job. You could
reenter the USA with the same visa. No problems.

One critical point though. When you return, INS officer at the port of entry might
give you an I-94 only till the date on visa. You need to show your new I-797 and
prove that you have valid approval till 2004. If you are given March 2002 by the
officer when you return to the US, your earlier approval till Jan 2004 in no longer
valid. Your stay is approved only till the day written on I-94.

dd wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >