Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do I need a lawyer for the Green Card process?

Do I need a lawyer for the Green Card process?

Old Apr 21st 2001, 4:24 am
Jan

During the last ten days, I have almost called every "immigration" lawyer listed in
the yellow pages and that I could find on the internet in the Seattle area. The
result: not a single returned phone call; not a single returned email. I managed to
get a hold of one yesterday who put me on hold numerous times while answering other
calls. This guy then took offense when I asked him about his experience in RIR cases.
He would not answer my question which was: do you typically do ones, tens, hundreds
of these cases a year? He said "I gotta go now" and slammed the phone down. I though
my question was quite reasonable...

Should I conclude that immigration lawyers are not really looking for work? If so,
what incentive would they have to do a good job? What value will they add to the
process for the $5k or $6k that I am to pay them? Should I just do it myself?

Another question: Is there any reason why the lawyer should practise locally
where you work?

Old Apr 21st 2001, 4:50 am
Joachim Feise

Jan wrote: ...
    >
    >
    >

No. There are just too many pitfalls.

>
    >
    >

No. Immigration law is federal. Just get a good one. My lawyer was based on the East
Coast, while I'm on the West Coast. I haven't ever met my lawyer in person. BTW, I
found that lawyer after having bad experiences with an "immigration" lawyer in the
Seattle area...

-Joe

Old Apr 21st 2001, 5:21 pm
Nomad

Who was your lawyer in the east coast? How much did they charge for the
greencard process?

>
[usenetquote2]> > Should I conclude that immigration lawyers are not really looking for[/usenetquote2]
work?
[usenetquote2]> > If so, what incentive would they have to do a good job? What value will they add[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to the process for the $5k or $6k that I am to pay them?[/usenetquote2]
Should I
[usenetquote2]> > just do it myself?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Another question: Is there any reason why the lawyer should practise[/usenetquote2]
locally
[usenetquote2]> > where you work?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
haven't
    >
    >
"immigration"
    >
    >
    >