Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do I need an attorney for an E2 Visa

Do I need an attorney for an E2 Visa

Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Basco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need an attorney for an E2 Visa

I am looking to file for an E2 visa next year and I have been quoted quite steep fees for the process. The question is can I navigate the process myself or do i need a lawyer? If i do who do i go to?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need an attorney for an E2 Visa

A good lawyer will tell you if you have a hope of getting a visa. An even better one will take a reasonable chance and make it into a good chance. How much of an E2 expert do you feel? How badly do you want it?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:36 am
Just Joined

i suppose the answer is yes
Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basco
I am looking to file for an E2 visa next year and I have been quoted quite steep fees for the process. The question is can I navigate the process myself or do i need a lawyer? If i do who do i go to?
read the FAQ here
http://usvisaconsultancy.com/e-2-visas/
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's so much a lawyer you need as someone who knows how to put together a good business plan. Obviously a "lawyer" familiar with having done E-2 before who has experience of getting the relevant bits together would know.

Years ago I very nearly did E-2, I had a meeting with INS about it and they went through the requirements with me, their advice was to sign up for an SBA seminar, which I did go to, basically all they did was put me to sleep with a "how you start a new business" video. In fact here they are.

If you've got experience of doing a business plan to get a loan from the bank for a start-up (i.e. estimated financials, marketing plan, etc.), or you've got a business degree, you probably can do it on your own, it is possible - but I think as with anything else you can cut down the hassle factor by talking to someone who has done it before.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Steve, most of the work is really in setting the business up. A more appropriate link is tucked away in your relevant embassy website. if you are in the UK it would be http://london.usembassy.gov/enew3.html . Most lawyers would hope you have not already found this link, and none will recommend you to look at it. That said once I have finished setting up my e2 business, depending on the strength of my case I may still resort to using a law firm. Ironically most lawyers will not take on an E2 business case they dont think they can win sparing you loss of your funds its not a gaurantee they will succeed in obtaining a visa so the risk is still there.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The question posed by OP is way too general for a meaningful answer. A person can always represent them selves if they desire [aka "pro per" or "pro se."] As to what is advisable is another question.

One should consider the scope of the representation -- is the lawyer just responsible for the visa application or will they participate in the legal aspects of the business formation? Sometimes, it is necessary for a team approach. It may be necessary for an CPA ["chartered" in UK parlance] to be involved.

I disagree that most lawyers would not want to see the link noted above. It always helps to have a client interested in and participating in their own case.

I agree that a good business plan is a damn good idea.

"Your mileage may vary."
Old Dec 24th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The question posed by OP is way too general for a meaningful answer. A person can always represent them selves if they desire [aka "pro per" or "pro se."] As to what is advisable is another question.

One should consider the scope of the representation -- is the lawyer just responsible for the visa application or will they participate in the legal aspects of the business formation? Sometimes, it is necessary for a team approach. It may be necessary for an CPA ["chartered" in UK parlance] to be involved.

I disagree that most lawyers would not want to see the link noted above. It always helps to have a client interested in and participating in their own case.

I agree that a good business plan is a damn good idea.

"Your mileage may vary."
I suppose the real question is " Do I need to spend thousands of Pounds/dollars" in paying someone to fill in forms and draw up a business plan
Old Dec 25th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the real question is " Do I need to spend thousands of Pounds/dollars" in paying someone to fill in forms and draw up a business plan
You have already been provided a link from the Department of State. The link shows that there is more involved than drawing up a business plan and filling out the forms. Also, there are all different types of businesses, organizations, etc etc. You have provided no details.

By definition, an E-2 involves putting a lot of money, time and effort.

The choice is yours.

p.s. allow me an analogy if you will -- "I do not feel well. Should I see a doctor?"

Last edited by S Folinsky; Dec 25th 2011 at 5:46 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Well I am a qualified accountant with an MBA so I am happy with putting together a business plan and I know what business to invest in. The broker fees I can justify just unsure about the legal fees if it's merely about submitting the business case and forms.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am a qualified accountant with an MBA so I am happy with putting together a business plan and I know what business to invest in. The broker fees I can justify just unsure about the legal fees if it's merely about submitting the business case and forms.
A business plan for your company is different to a business plan written for immigration purposes. Perhaps there is something an attorney would put in your plan that you would never think of that is critical to getting your visa. Do you know what that something is?

Anyway, it's your call.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:46 am
BE Commentator

I've noted the the word "merely" -- it is what one might call a "loaded" word.

You caption has the word "need" in it -- that is a subjective call which no one here can really answer. It is your call.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. I think on balance I will seek professional help.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

It wont hurt to start it of on your own either, any Immigration Business Planner or Lawyer will value every effort and attempt you have made on your own and may even give a discount if you do end up defaulting to their services in a much more prepared state. I have all my documents in the order required by the embassy in a ring binder, I even have my police report. Im just waiting for my self assessment tax return for YE2011 from my accountant then I have to get it all scanned in chunks and sent off to my lawyer to evaluate.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkoparko
You will have lots of questions along the way. You need some help. Cheap option is justanswers.com for $25-50 you can get lots of questions answered by an attorneys.
When trying to get a visa, do not go for the "cheap option". Only consult with a professional immigration attorney who has direct experience with the type of visa you want to apply for.

Rene