Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do I need attorney assistance with the K-1 visa

Wikiposts

Do I need attorney assistance with the K-1 visa

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:11 pm
Jszei

I am going to assist my fiance' with applying for a k-1 visa. The law firm of John F.
Roth is offering their services for $1,500 to help her through the entire process
(past the interview). Is it worth hiring an attorney to go through this?

Thanks, John

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:15 pm
Alvena Ferreira

jszei wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
Only you can decide this. If you have the money to blow and don't wanna hassle with
forms, then use them. If you can complete forms and follow directions and aren't busy
stuffing $100 bills back into your pockets, then you should be able to do this
yourself. It's a personal choice. If your case is complicated with legal issues, then
by all means, use an attorney. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:17 pm
Ben Johnson

No it is not worth it for most people.

Thousands of people go through this process yearly without one. It is not all that
complicated.

The forms are easier to fill out than a 1040EZ

The hardest part of the process is compiling all the needed supporting documents.
(The lawyer acts as nothing more than a glorified paralegal.) YOU will do that work
whether you use a lawyer or not. You will be approved whether you use a lawyer or
not. The only thing that separates most people who use a lawyer for this, from those
that don't.... is that those who did, are separated from $1500.00 !

Ben

>
firm
    >
    >
to
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 1:52 pm
Jszei

My circumstances are a little unusual as I have only known my fiance' for a month.
She is from Thailand and her English is limited. With these factors in mind would an
attorney who has handled over a thousand K-1 cases with a 100% success rate be a good
idea? I am confident I could do this on my own but am not sure about the INSs
attitude towards my situation.

Thanks

>
firm
    >
    >
to
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:49 pm
Onigiri

>
a
    >
    >
cases
    >
on
    >
You need an attorney, because an attorney could get your fiancee talking English like
a native speaker before she needs to appear for the consular interview. This 1000
case winner would obviously know how to prepare documents to show the INS that even
though you had known your fiancee for only one month, you had known her with such
great depth (and width and height) that it would be equivalent to an american
engagement period of over 3 years. Go for it !! Just make sure that it is the right
Thai fiancee that gets approved. In one case, a great rain maker of an attorney was
said to have got the wrong fiancee approved and the USC who had met her only once
before on a bride seeking tour didn't know the difference until long after marriage,
AoS and much much more have gone by.

>

[usenetquote2]> > I am going to assist my fiance' with applying for a k-1 visa. The law[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > of John F. Roth is offering their services for $1,500 to help her[/usenetquote2]
through
[usenetquote2]> > the entire process (past the interview). Is it worth hiring an attorney[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > go through this?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks, John[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 30th 2002, 1:31 am
Newyorker

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

You have to have met in person within the past 2 years. You could have met her
yesterday and decided to file.

It does not matter that she has limited English, but it will matter that you show how
you are capable of communicating with her.

If these are your only 2 reasons for wanting to plunk down 1.5G, and you have nothing
to hide, I personally would take a month or two to do more research, gather
documents, and relax. At that point you will have a better view of your situation and
your need or wish for an attorney. Regards, NewYorker
---------------------------------------
All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm