Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do criminal records follow you ???

Do criminal records follow you ???

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:56 am
Can't Wait To Get There

pedro66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Do criminal records follow you ???

Not forgetting the obvious when you must declare when asked by officials in the US any criminal past, when you declare any convictions to the embassy at your interview does the INS or whatever they are called now start a criminal record in the US for you. And if yes does this apply to both Juvenile and Adult records.

The reason I ask is that I have a minor Juvenile and a even more minor Adult conviction that I declared in London, I now have to put info on a application in the US I think I don't need to declare the Juvenile and I will declare the adult as its really minor, but I don't want to get tripped up on the Juvenile, which is spent under UK law and Juvenile under US.

Anyway enough waffle any answers please.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 2:53 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do criminal records follow you ???

Just be truthful, anything less is risking everything you've worked on.

You won't suddenly create a criminal record for yourself here but the BCIS do require you to declare what's happened in the past.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:54 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pedro66
Not forgetting the obvious when you must declare when asked by officials in the US any criminal past, when you declare any convictions to the embassy at your interview does the INS or whatever they are called now start a criminal record in the US for you. And if yes does this apply to both Juvenile and Adult records.

The reason I ask is that I have a minor Juvenile and a even more minor Adult conviction that I declared in London, I now have to put info on a application in the US I think I don't need to declare the Juvenile and I will declare the adult as its really minor, but I don't want to get tripped up on the Juvenile, which is spent under UK law and Juvenile under US.

Anyway enough waffle any answers please.
You should declare absolutely EVERYTHING. Don't even think about jeapordising your status by trying to finesse the juvenile conviction. I have two adult convictions for shoplifting, and had no problems getting a waiver (but they were more than 15 years ago, which is an important criterion for the waiver).

Just because a conviction is spent, does not mean they don't want to know about it: they DO!

No, you will not pick up a US criminal record.

For details on eligibilty for a waiver see: http://www.americanlaw.com/exclude3.html

I assume you will be applying under 212(h)(1)(A).

The statute is not terribly clear about the situation on multiple offences where one is juvenile, the other adult.

If you want to divulge what you did (and the sentence is important, too), you will probably get mre information.

Important things are:

1. When the crimes were committed
2. Age at the time of commission
3. Sentence imposed.

Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to discuss this in public.

Nettie...
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:53 am
Can't Wait To Get There

pedro66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You should declare absolutely EVERYTHING. Don't even think about jeapordising your status by trying to finesse the juvenile conviction. I have two adult convictions for shoplifting, and had no problems getting a waiver (but they were more than 15 years ago, which is an important criterion for the waiver).

Just because a conviction is spent, does not mean they don't want to know about it: they DO!

No, you will not pick up a US criminal record.

For details on eligibilty for a waiver see: http://www.americanlaw.com/exclude3.html

I assume you will be applying under 212(h)(1)(A).

The statute is not terribly clear about the situation on multiple offences where one is juvenile, the other adult.

If you want to divulge what you did (and the sentence is important, too), you will probably get mre information.

Important things are:

1. When the crimes were committed
2. Age at the time of commission
3. Sentence imposed.

Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to discuss this in public.

Nettie...
I am already a permanent resident in the US and i DID declare all items when I got my VISA, its just I am just wondering how far I should declare it now I am here, obviously to the Police and Goverment etc but to potential employers I don't think they will find it doing a background check, and if I apply to the local police for any kind of permit and declare it will they start a record once they know?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:03 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pedro66
I am already a permanent resident in the US and i DID declare all items when I got my VISA, its just I am just wondering how far I should declare it now I am here, obviously to the Police and Goverment etc but to potential employers I don't think they will find it doing a background check, and if I apply to the local police for any kind of permit and declare it will they start a record once they know?
Sorry: misunderstood. If I were you I wouldn't mention it at all to anybody unless they already know, including the police, except for something like trying to get a security clearance which requires background checks with, e.g., the FBI.

Obviously it is your choice, but the offences and convictions you have fessed up to will not leak from the USCIS so far as I know.

I don't ever plan to tell anybody about mine, except possibly when I go for citizenship, and even then the test for demonstrating good moral character (crime-free for five years) is less stringent than the 15-year rule in respect of the waiver.

Nettie