Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Divorce and citizenship application question

Divorce and citizenship application question

Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce and citizenship application question

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
...... The idiot got a DUI some years back. Will they care about that?
Not enough to change the outcome if it was an isolated event.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not enough to change the outcome if it was an isolated event.
Good to know. It was just the one.

Now I feel like saying "good riddance to bad rubbish" all over again.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They will want to see dates of trips overseas...
... and, for these purposes, "overseas" includes Mexico (and anywhere else that isn't the United States) ...
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
... and, for these purposes, "overseas" includes Mexico (and anywhere else that isn't the United States) ...
O'er land, o'er sea.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Apr 12th 2014 at 2:41 pm. Reason: speeling
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. It amused me when people used to say they thought my daughter was brave going to uni overseas...Canada. At first I used to say...Canada is not overseas...there is no sea between the US and Canada. Due to the blank looks I gave up saying that.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:12 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

My fairly recent timeline:

Sent N-400 packet on Aug 21 2013
Biometrics appointment received sept 7, set for sept 24
Interview letter received 9 Nov. Appointment dec 16.
Oath ceremony on Dec 20th.

Being divorced made no difference, as I had 5 years + PR. If you get it done before his interview, he will need to take the decree/certificate with him.

I assume he did biometrics already? If so, interview letter should be imminent.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Of course. It amused me when people used to say they thought my daughter was brave going to uni overseas...Canada. At first I used to say...Canada is not overseas...there is no sea between the US and Canada. Due to the blank looks I gave up saying that.
I had a similar experience with an airline reservations agent (back in the days when you actually had to make a phone call to buy a ticket) who explained to me that I needed to call the "domestic" reservations number for a flight to Canada because Canada was "overseas but not international" ...
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by RICH
My fairly recent timeline:

Sent N-400 packet on Aug 21 2013
Biometrics appointment received sept 7, set for sept 24
Interview letter received 9 Nov. Appointment dec 16.
Oath ceremony on Dec 20th.

Being divorced made no difference, as I had 5 years + PR. If you get it done before his interview, he will need to take the decree/certificate with him.

I assume he did biometrics already? If so, interview letter should be imminent.

Don't know on biometrics - is that fingerprints? I barely see the guy so not up to speed on that sort of detail at all. I can find out though.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Don't know on biometrics - is that fingerprints? I barely see the guy so not up to speed on that sort of detail at all. I can find out though.
It's his problem not yours.

His legal presence in the US is based on his being a permanent resident and has nothing to do with the fact that he is still married to you.

If the amount of time that he has spent outside the US over the last few years means that he does not currently meet the the requirements for naturalization then the solution to that problem is entirely in his hands - he just needs to spend more time in the US and apply when he does meet the requirements.

You divorcing him doesn't change any of that.

Just do it.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:48 pm

It's his problem not yours.

His legal presence in the US is based on his being a permanent resident and has nothing to do with the fact that he is still married to you.

If the amount of time that he has spent outside the US over the last few years means that he does not currently meet the the requirements for naturalization then the solution to that problem is entirely in his hands - he just needs to spend more time in the US and apply when he does meet the requirements.

You divorcing him doesn't change any of that.

Just do it.

Well this is precisely what I was looking to establish - the relationship, or lack of, between divorce and his citizenship situation. There appears to be none. It is only my problem to the extent that I care about my son being able to see his father, because that matters to my son a whole lot.

I'll probably be off to another part of the forum now to ask about divorcing people, on a mutually agreed no-fault basis, who aren't in the country to sign documents and make court dates. The joy never ends really
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:10 pm

OK, so apparently he is just getting the fingerprints done this coming week, having filed back in January. Does this delay mean that they were investigating him more than others? (Which wouldn't be surprising.)

Likewise, does it also mean that they are now satisfied and will proceed to interview stage?

Or is it all just anyone's guess?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

The only other divorce-related aspect that might affect his naturalization application is that if he has unpaid alimony or child support obligations, that could impact the "good moral character" aspect.

I wouldn't read too much into the "delay".

Best thing you can do now is forget about the whole situation - you've established that the divorce isn't going to screw him over immigration-wise. The rest of it is not your problem.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by henryh
The only other divorce-related aspect that might affect his naturalization application is that if he has unpaid alimony or child support obligations, that could impact the "good moral character" aspect.

I wouldn't read too much into the "delay".

Best thing you can do now is forget about the whole situation - you've established that the divorce isn't going to screw him over immigration-wise. The rest of it is not your problem.
It actually is my problem due to another set of complicated reasons that BE cannot help with, unfortunately.

Timing is all, as they say.

So rather than forgetting about the situation I would be interested in knowing if now having been called for fingerprints represents any sort of "approval" or not.

Child support should be immaterial, since not being divorced there is no court order for him to disobey.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing to be gained by trying to read the tea leaves of USCIS timings and website status updates. It doesn't mean approval and it doesn't mean denial.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by henryh
There's nothing to be gained by trying to read the tea leaves of USCIS timings and website status updates. It doesn't mean approval and it doesn't mean denial.
I suspected as much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.