Divorce after PR Green Card

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:14 am
Just Joined

tonyt3100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Divorce after PR Green Card

Hello,

Does anyone know if I have to present evidence of my divorce to USCIS for my citizenship application?
If so do you know what details do they ask for, and what kind of information appears on the divorce petition?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Divorce after PR Green Card

Originally Posted by tonyt3100
Does anyone know if I have to present evidence of my divorce to USCIS for my citizenship application? If so do you know what details do they ask for, and what kind of information appears on the divorce petition?
If you are applying for naturalization based on being a permanent resident for 5 years, then the marriage and the reasons for divorce would not be part of the decision making process.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Does anyone know if I have to present evidence of my divorce to USCIS for my citizenship application?
If so do you know what details do they ask for, and what kind of information appears on the divorce petition?

Thanks in advance
Since you are divorced, you will be applying for citizenship based on 5 years as a PR. You marriage and divorce do not factor in.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

so date of legal separation is irrelevant?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

so date of legal separation is irrelevant?
It's only relevant if they ask for that date on the N-400 form, or if the officer asks for that date during the interview.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

on N-400 it asks for date of marriage and the date when the marriage ended.

we were married for over 4.5 years. Why would they ask for the separation date on citizenship interview?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:12 pm

on N-400 it asks for date of marriage and the date when the marriage ended.
So on the form you will put the date you were married as shown on your marriage certificate, and the date the divorce was final, as shown on the divorce decree.

we were married for over 4.5 years. Why would they ask for the separation date on citizenship interview?
I can't imagine why they would even ask, but that's the only other time I could think of them asking such a thing, IF they were going to ask. But I'm pretty sure it won't be asked, I can't think of any reason for them asking for a date you were separated.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

I am anxious because we cant agree on the date of separation. While I think it was well after I filed for removal of conditions, my wife sited a date well before.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:32 pm

I am anxious because we cant agree on the date of separation. While I think it was well after I filed for removal of conditions, my wife sited a date well before.
I doubt it will come up, but if asked, state the date to the best of YOUR knowledge.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

hey, thanks by the way. i will take that advice
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am anxious because we cant agree on the date of separation.
The date of separation doesn't matter. The only relevant information is the date you got married and the date you got divorced... and even those dates are largely meaningless since you'll be applying based on being a PR for 5 years. Your marriage, separation, and divorce don't matter... and the separation really is irrelevant.

Ian