British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   DIVERSITY LOTTERY 2009 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/diversity-lottery-2009-a-484714/)

Ray Oct 1st 2007 9:21 pm

DIVERSITY LOTTERY 2009

Starts in 2 days ...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1318.html

khai ko Oct 2nd 2007 3:44 am

Re: DIVERSITY LOTTERY 2009

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5375711)

Thanks for the reminder!

lj2 Oct 2nd 2007 9:13 am

Is this something you can enter whilst your L1a is processing or not? Probably shouldn't need to but there is always the risk that employers may start playing silly b&ggers about getting me a GC if I decide I want one..

lj2 Oct 2nd 2007 9:22 am

No luke you dufus - you live in the UK so cant apply! Just stick to what you are doing.

OK Luke. Cheers.

fatbrit Oct 2nd 2007 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5377158)
No luke you dufus - you live in the UK so cant apply! Just stick to what you are doing.

OK Luke. Cheers.

Living in the UK is not a bar to applying.

Redlippie Oct 2nd 2007 1:45 pm

Aw fanks....have in-laws applying this year.

It depends on your place of birth, not your place of residence :)

lj2 Oct 2nd 2007 1:54 pm

Luke is also born in the UK...

JAJ Oct 3rd 2007 1:29 am

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5377952)
Luke is also born in the UK...

Those born in Northern Ireland are eligible.

lj2 Oct 3rd 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5380015)
Those born in Northern Ireland are eligible.

And not NI.... ;) I love how one stupid mistake snowballs :p

hixton Oct 4th 2007 5:29 pm

Can anyone tell me if I can apply if I was born in the UK but both my parents were born abroad?

The rules on the pdf instructions state that `but neither of your parents were born there or resided there at the time of your birth`.

Does this mean that even though they were born abroad, them living in the UK when I was born makes me not able to apply?

Cheers!

fatbrit Oct 4th 2007 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by hixton (Post 5387157)
Can anyone tell me if I can apply if I was born in the UK but both my parents were born abroad?

The rules on the pdf instructions state that `but neither of your parents were born there or resided there at the time of your birth`.

Does this mean that even though they were born abroad, them living in the UK when I was born makes me not able to apply?

Cheers!

Here's a scenario that might work: Your parents were Italian, born and raised there, and your father was a high-ranking military officer. You were born in the UK because your father was temporarily based there by the Italian military for liaison with the British military. You are eligible for the diversity visa.

hixton Oct 5th 2007 3:07 pm

Seriously, that is not my situation.
my folks were born abroad and so qualify but they were living in the UK when I was born.
Anybody know?

fatbrit Oct 5th 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by hixton (Post 5390128)
Seriously, that is not my situation.
my folks were born abroad and so qualify but they were living in the UK when I was born.
Anybody know?

If they'd moved to the UK to live there permanently, then the answer's "no". If they were definitely there temporarily (example given above), then the answer's "yes". If it was somewhere in between, you'll have to argue it out with the consular official if you win. You could perhaps take documentation that they still held property in their home country and were planning to return but events overtook them. If you win and you can convince them your chargeability is to a valid country, you're quids in. If you don't manage it, you're SOL. Enter the lottery claiming chargeability to your parents country, If you win, decide whether you can muster enough evidence to prove your parents were only temporarily in the UK at the time you were born. At this stage you can decide whether you wish to risk the time and money of pursuing it. If you do nothing, the application will die and have cost you nothing.