Distraught once again

Old Jul 16th 2001, 11:36 pm
ladiegrey39

Yet another cosponsor has backed out at the last minute on us, this will be our 6th.
If ever stress tested a "marriage" this is our time. Any ideas of good immigration
attorneys in my area, i can only locate 2 (as if after all we have been thru i have
money for one-not), we are in the Portland, Me. area.
[usenetquote2]::::::::: sad sigh :::::::::[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 17th 2001, 1:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

6 co-sponsors who have backed out? What happened? When they sat and talked about it and realized they would be on the financial hook for the alien spouse for ten years, they decided the risk factor was too great? I can understand it but man, that is a shitty thing to do to someone.

I know Portland, Maine is not the metropolis that say NYC is and the career and/or job opportunities are less but have you had any luck in finding employment? Can you take anything that would put you over the 125% poverty guidelines so that you can complete the I-864 and submit it and get this thing over and done with.

Have you written to the District Director of Portland, ME and asked him/her for their intervention as the instructions on the I-864 state clearly that a foreign spouse's income can be used if they have resided in the same household for six months or more. Have you contacted your representative? Do you have a relative in some part of the country that can qualify for co-sponsorship? Even a retired person who can list assets, i.e. a house, as a qualifying commodity.

Can you take a menial job and use your 401K to make up the difference between your salary and the 125% guidelines?

Wish I could do more than make suggestions.

Rita